GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 13:14   #26
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Also, I only chamber a round from the mag, never by inserting it directly into the chamber.

Right? Wrong? Heck I don't know, but I've been doing it this way all my life, no need to change now!
When I put it back together after cleaning/oiling, I just put the round directly in to the chamber (the one that came out of the chamber before taking it apart) & GENTLY ease the slide back in to position, then insert the mag.
__________________
.(\_/) 9mm BRASS Push-Pins / Thumbtacks! :)
...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:45   #27
TacoBellMan
Registered User
 
TacoBellMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 56
We arent talking about artifact or collector pistols here. Stop worrying about your damn guns so much and just shoot it! To me, if it cant take the little bit of abuse like this than it definitely isn't worth the money I paid for it.
TacoBellMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:30   #28
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,289
Why not just slam one inn from a mag and reload the mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
When I put it back together after cleaning/oiling, I just put the round directly in to the chamber (the one that came out of the chamber before taking it apart) & GENTLY ease the slide back in to position, then insert the mag.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:30   #29
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,289
Why not just slam one in from a mag and reload the mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
When I put it back together after cleaning/oiling, I just put the round directly in to the chamber (the one that came out of the chamber before taking it apart) & GENTLY ease the slide back in to position, then insert the mag.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:38   #30
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,289
Truly everyone has their own opinion of doing things...who gives a F>> what someone else really does?

Facts:
Most modern semiautos, you can slam the slide on an empty chamber with no ill effects. Do NOT do this with 1911 platforms, it is not good for 1911's fine tuned inter-related ignition parts.

You can slam the slide on a chambered round, and get away with it, but if you are worried about the extractor being damaged (and there is a finite risk), then don't. Best to have the slide action strip one off the mag, like during actual firing, and then top up the mag.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 19:32   #31
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Why not just slam one in from a mag and reload the mag?
I used to do that, but then I read somewhere that chambering the same exact round too many times (due to the force of the slide) can actually screw up the primer.

Since reading that, I do it the way I posted above, just in case.
__________________
.(\_/) 9mm BRASS Push-Pins / Thumbtacks! :)
...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 21:53   #32
AustinTx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 8,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
I used to do that, but then I read somewhere that chambering the same exact round too many times (due to the force of the slide) can actually screw up the primer.

Since reading that, I do it the way I posted above, just in case.
It can cause bullet "set-back" and that can cause the chamber pressure to go high enough for a famous Glock KB.

I can't imagine what would damage the primer, in a Glock. It can be bad in SKS and AK-47 rifles because they don't usually have a firing pin return spring. The momentum, of the firing pin will cause it to hit the primer, when the bolt slams shut. Not a problem with hard military primers.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49   #33
Uncle Don
Wood butcher
 
Uncle Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,377


Having been through three re-certs of armors school, I can recall only two situations where you ease the slide forward. One is the check for the reliability of the recoil spring in that you ease it forward almost all the way while the muzzle is upward and see if the spring will finish the job.

The second is to be sure the gun is empty prior to taking it apart. After ensuring the mag is removed, ease the slide forward to be equally sure there is nothing in the chamber while closing the slide.

In all those schools, I've never heard an instructor say a word about potential damage of letting a slide go forward on an empty chamber at full speed. It's done countless times during the inspection process each class.

That said - I know Beretta 92s don't like it as they have sold hundreds of locking blocks that break for that very reason. I have little experience with 1911s and can't speak to that.

Last edited by Uncle Don; 03-10-2013 at 03:50..
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15   #34
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
It can cause bullet "set-back" and that can cause the chamber pressure to go high enough for a famous Glock KB.

I can't imagine what would damage the primer, in a Glock. It can be bad in SKS and AK-47 rifles because they don't usually have a firing pin return spring. The momentum, of the firing pin will cause it to hit the primer, when the bolt slams shut. Not a problem with hard military primers.
Ohhh - well I certainly don't want my 19 to go kaboom :(

lol I'll stick to doing it this way just to be sure that doesn't happen
__________________
.(\_/) 9mm BRASS Push-Pins / Thumbtacks! :)
...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34   #35
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,426
This thread was good for the first laugh of the day.

Thank You
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:08   #36
Aaron Geisler
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 70
Competition shooters do this at the end of every stage. It is done thousands of times over a year.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Range Safety Officer
GSSF
Aaron Geisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23   #37
scosgt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 626
There is more risk of damage in a metal frame gun, especially aluminum, where you have parts slamming together more than they would when a round is fed from the chamber.

However the M1 Carbine and certain small Rugers do not even have a slide hold open on last round feature, so every single magazine results in a slam on empty chamber.

Don't worry about it, you can not hurt a Glock.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59   #38
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Personally I think warnings against dropping the slide on an empty chamber is way overblown. You hear all the time about not doing this on a 1911. I've been shooting 1911s just as long as Glocks and the only time I have ever heard where this could damage a 1911 is on those with ultra light competition triggers.
Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not good for any autoloader. And yes, it will definitely screw up a 1911. It damages the hammer/sear connection point. It tells you right in the manual, not to do it, but I guess you know better. Anyone who continues to drop the slide on an empty chamber is a fool.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:02   #39
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Truly everyone has their own opinion of doing things...who gives a F>> what someone else really does?

Facts:
Most modern semiautos, you can slam the slide on an empty chamber with no ill effects.
Do NOT do this with 1911 platforms, it is not good for 1911's fine tuned inter-related ignition parts.

You can slam the slide on a chambered round, and get away with it, but if you are worried about the extractor being damaged (and there is a finite risk), then don't. Best to have the slide action strip one off the mag, like during actual firing, and then top up the mag.
Are you a gunsmith, or are you just spewing internet forum wisdom? Everything I've read says not to do it.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender

Last edited by mrsurfboard; 03-10-2013 at 13:03..
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:35   #40
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,289
Ha Ha...where does your wisdom or logic (reading) come from. I think all of this is trickled down from somewhere, its just applying the correct logic after reading it. There are very few scientific discussions, NO double blind controlled studies.

1911 definitely advised against by majority dogma.

Glocks- no problem on an empty chamber, slam away. No injuries to the gun proven beyond the belief that it "might" happen. Think of how many Glocks exist out there and how many yahoos slamming their Glocks since 1990. Risk is too small to be worth discussion. No one has ever posted "my glock broke after I sling shot the slide".

How to load the first round-- that is a different debate not in the title of this thread. I think all will agree that riding the extractor over the case rim repeatedly increases the risk of extractor damage-- may not happen the first time or the 50th, but the harder, and more frequent , the higher the risk. Then there is "bullet setback". There is ongoing debate whether BS in a modern firearm truly is a concern or not.
Possibly more concern than actual true risk. If you are concerned with above 2 issues, one method is to load the round from the magazine gently by hand, easing the round into place and pushing the slide into battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Are you a gunsmith, or are you just spewing internet forum wisdom? Everything I've read says not to do it.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 16:27   #41
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Ha Ha...where does your wisdom or logic (reading) come from. I think all of this is trickled down from somewhere, its just applying the correct logic after reading it. There are very few scientific discussions, NO double blind controlled studies.

1911 definitely advised against by majority dogma.

Glocks- no problem on an empty chamber, slam away. No injuries to the gun proven beyond the belief that it "might" happen. Think of how many Glocks exist out there and how many yahoos slamming their Glocks since 1990. Risk is too small to be worth discussion. No one has ever posted "my glock broke after I sling shot the slide".

How to load the first round-- that is a different debate not in the title of this thread. I think all will agree that riding the extractor over the case rim repeatedly increases the risk of extractor damage-- may not happen the first time or the 50th, but the harder, and more frequent , the higher the risk. Then there is "bullet setback". There is ongoing debate whether BS in a modern firearm truly is a concern or not.
Possibly more concern than actual true risk. If you are concerned with above 2 issues, one method is to load the round from the magazine gently by hand, easing the round into place and pushing the slide into battery.
Sounds very scientific, ok, I thought so.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 16:37   #42
PaLEOjd
Senior Member
 
PaLEOjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
When I put it back together after cleaning/oiling, I just put the round directly in to the chamber (the one that came out of the chamber before taking it apart) & GENTLY ease the slide back in to position, then insert the mag.

Keep an extra extractor or two on hand, you may need one. Not saying it will happen but having the extractor jump the case may cause damage or cause it to beak. I have done it before without issue, just be prepared for what can happen.
__________________
G19, G19-Gen4, G17 RTF2 "gilly", G17-Gen4
G27, G23, G23-Gen4 G22-Gen4, G26-Gen4, G26
PaLEOjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:06   #43
Made in Austria
Senior Member
 
Made in Austria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,704
I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt a Glock because it's a striker fired gun where no trigger job/hammer sear can be messed up due to the different design. Also, the locking areas of a Glock are extremely hard and cannot be deformed over time by dropping the slide on a empty chamber all the time. But, the energy from the slide has to go somewhere else if no metal can be deformed. That energy gets converted to, stronger resonance waves going through the whole gun till they get absorbed by your hand/wrists and probably into generating stronger sound waves in a certain frequency.

I wouldn't drop the slide on a empty chamber of a 1911 and other similar gun designs because it can cause damage to an nice trigger job of your 1911, to the breech face, barrel and slide/locking areas and other action parts. Damaging the locking areas can cause changes in dwell times and reliability.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:45   #44
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
Keep an extra extractor or two on hand, you may need one. Not saying it will happen but having the extractor jump the case may cause damage or cause it to beak. I have done it before without issue, just be prepared for what can happen.
Hm..

Ok, so what is the best & safest way to chamber the first round without potentially causing damage to anything?

Putting it in the chamber by hand, then gently easing the slide back to it's ready position, then inserting the mag last (like I've been doing)

OR - Just putting a mag in then rack the slide to let it chamber itself from the magazine, then remove the mag & load another bullet to top it back off?

Which one has less risk of damaging anything?

Because I really don't know what this stuff people are saying even means..

lol I'm not an expert and I wont pretend to be one.. I'm not ashamed to ask for advice when I need it.
__________________
.(\_/) 9mm BRASS Push-Pins / Thumbtacks! :)
...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 03-10-2013 at 17:46..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:03   #45
lwbfl
2A Defender
 
lwbfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Hm..

Ok, so what is the best & safest way to chamber the first round without potentially causing damage to anything?

Putting it in the chamber by hand, then gently easing the slide back to it's ready position, then inserting the mag last (like I've been doing)

OR - Just putting a mag in then rack the slide to let it chamber itself from the magazine, then remove the mag & load another bullet to top it back off?

Which one has less risk of damaging anything?

Because I really don't know what this stuff people are saying even means..

lol I'm not an expert and I wont pretend to be one.. I'm not ashamed to ask for advice when I need it.
Glock says not to hand load the chamber at any time. Always load from the magazine - extractor issues noted and proven by replacing them.

They also say never ride the slide but they also say not to use the slide stop as a slide release. I listen but you don't have to. I have a 1911 that has so many nuances that I won't carry it but I "slam" my empty Glocks all the time. I service two Sheriff's dept Glocks and have never seen any issues from it and they all do it when they unload, clean or check their pistols. My opinion is the same as the manufacture's, don't ride the slide or hand load the chamber!
__________________
NRA Recruiter
FDLE & NRA Firearms Instructor
Glock Armorer
Glock 27 & G22 Gen 4
lwbfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:07   #46
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Awesome, thanks man - will keep that in mind from here out.

I'm off to watch the walking dead!!
__________________
.(\_/) 9mm BRASS Push-Pins / Thumbtacks! :)
...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 21:11   #47
Scotracy96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Glocks are tough *****es that like playing rough. I have no problem racking my slide hard. I rack it 3 times to check it is empty. Don't worry about it. My friend has had his since 1991 on his 19 and never has failed.
Scotracy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 21:52   #48
cciman
Senior Member
 
cciman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,289
Option OR ===> then all you worry about is bullet setback. Use a new cartridge each time, shoot the bullet, or just ignore it.

Is this crystal clear yet or do we need to rephrase these yet another way.

Read this, then decide whether to worry about the little things about Glocks:


Torture test



Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Hm..

Ok, so what is the best & safest way to chamber the first round without potentially causing damage to anything?

Putting it in the chamber by hand, then gently easing the slide back to it's ready position, then inserting the mag last (like I've been doing)

OR - Just putting a mag in then rack the slide to let it chamber itself from the magazine, then remove the mag & load another bullet to top it back off?

Which one has less risk of damaging anything?

Because I really don't know what this stuff people are saying even means..

lol I'm not an expert and I wont pretend to be one.. I'm not ashamed to ask for advice when I need it.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:38.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,064
279 Members
785 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42