SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:50   #1
costanza187
I like Macs

Question about Windows 8 Annoyance

I recently purchased a Windows 8 laptop. It's a HP of some variety. My REAL complaint with the trackpad. I am sure it is my fault but...

When using the trackpad, I am managing to swipe around and hit something and it will either take me to:

A. That Windows 8 home screen thing.
B. XBOX Music
C. Pictures

I installed "Classic Shell" and it made the interface more usable for me, but there is STILL something going on with the way I am using the trackpad or somewhere I am hitting with the mouse that will take me to one of those screens. Classic Shell made recovering from it easier, just hit the Windows button and it will take me back to what I am doing, under the original setup I had to navigate around until I could find it.

Is there something I can do to disable this alleged "feature" Windows has, or what can I do to avoid doing whatever it is that I am doing that will take me to these screens?

[Unnecessary justification]So, yes I am a Mac user. However, there are a couple programs for which I need Windows. Yes I have tried to run Windows on my Mac using VMware, bootcamp etc... but there is no way to do that for more than like 30 days w/o actually buying a very expensive retail version of Windows. I have tried using Wine, and something else that will run Windows programs within Mac OS X, but poorly is an understatement when it comes to describing how they run. I have an old Windows desktop that is on its last leg, and slower than Christmas. I figured I would get the HP laptop because it was down in the sub-300 range, AND I had a coupon for more money off...and hey it's always fun to get a new computer![/Unnecessary Justification]
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26   #2
Toyman

Most likely you need to look into the touchpad settings, in particular the touch gesture settings.

You might be doing what is called a "flick" or a "swipe", see HP Touchpad gestures.

There's probably a control panel item for the touchpad, or it might be in the mouse control panel item. Most likely it's a Synaptics touchpad, if so it you can configure the default settings by opening Mouse Properties and then Device Settings.

This article on the HP site has two items on it you can expand entitled "Turn all gestures off and on" and "Turn individual gestures off and on" that should help also.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39   #3
TknoGeek

I think ToyMan's on the right track. This isn't a Win8 issue as much as a hardware/driver settings issue.

I always have to adjust the trackpad settings on my laptops. For example, my office issued Dell had a nasty tendency to pick up my palm when I was typing which would send my cursor to an unpredictable location. I had to adjust the sensitivity way down to prevent that.
TknoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44   #4
costanza187
I like Macs

Thanks Toyman, you hit the nail on the head. There was some kind of edge swipe thing I was doing to it causing that to happen. I went in there and turned that off, and I turned off the pinch zoom... I was bad about accidentally zooming in and out of stuff and didn't know how it was happening. Won't be happening anymore!
Old 03-09-2013, 14:38   #5
TK-421

You could make it simple and get a copy of Windows 7 and install it on your machine instead. Then you don't have to deal with a tablet OS on something that isn't a tablet.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:03   #6
datnvan

HP's have an idiotic design that places the pad in the middle of the palm rest instead of more to the left like all other laptops. it makes the keypad and touchpad look symmetrical and i guess pleasing to the eye. by doing this they've placed the fat part if your right palm smack dab on top of the touchpad as you type.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21   #7
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by datnvan View Post
HP's have an idiotic design that places the pad in the middle of the palm rest instead of more to the left like all other laptops. it makes the keypad and touchpad look symmetrical and i guess pleasing to the eye. by doing this they've placed the fat part if your right palm smack dab on top of the touchpad as you type.
Yet another reason to avoid anything HP.
Old 03-10-2013, 23:06   #8
datatech2550

I've been using Win 8 on a Lenovo laptop and a Dell desktop. The laptop is a PAIN, Win 7 is much easier to use.

The desktop has a touch display but I haven't used it after the first few days. With a mouse and keyboard win 8 is so much easier.

I've started using a wireless mouse with the laptop instead of the touchpad.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:49   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I installed the Hewlett-Packard Windows 8 Quick Start application.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c03557078
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14   #10
papercidal

Windows 8 annoyance now that's the redundancy of the day
papercidal is offline   Reply With Quote