Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 17:06   #1
pat701

Free DVD coping software

Guys i just dropped $800 today!! $300 on a life membership to the NRA for my wife and $500 on a life membership to GOA for myself. I really can't afford to spend any more money.

I had old VHS home movies converted to DVD another $300 done professionally. I need to make 3 copied of 19 DVDs to give to my grown kids. The Pro wanted $10 apiece to make the copies for me, NO WAY spent enough.
So i went to Best Buy and bought a LG 24X external DVD writer (kid at best buy said this will work). The kid at best buy said i needed Nero software to make my copies. I have a Nero disk but i get a incompatibility warning when i tryed to install. I do have Roxio Creator DE 10.2 on my lap top. I am an "OLD MAN" and not tech savvy. I am running Vista on my lap top.
Will the Roxio work to burn copies of DVDs? Or do i need another program? I need advise please on software hopefully FREE software. Help me do this on the cheap PLEASE!!!
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:29   #2
audiomechanic

Roxio should work, unless the DVDs have some sort of copy protection on them. If they do have copy protection, you can download DVDFab and use it for free for 30 days. After that, you have to pay for it, but it's unlimited use and fully featured for 30 days and will definitely copy DVDs, even copy protected ones.

Sent from my orifice.
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:09   #3
sappy13

try cdburnerxp. It does about everything. If your just making a straight copy, i dont think you should have any issues.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 20:01   #4
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

This program lets you copy a DVD iso file to your hard drive from a DVD. Then you can burn the iso file to a DVD.

http://www.bdlot.com/dvd-iso-master/

After clicking download, the next webpage has two downloads shown. One is a trial of the paid program and one is for the free program.

I do have DVD burning software in Windows that will copy a DVD from a DVD directly to a DVD but it is not free software. There are likely more solutions available.
Old 03-11-2013, 20:16   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Get a refund on the GOA membership... it's more or less useless (see sig)

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 20:56   #6
pat701

What i am hoping to do is copy from my P.C. directly to the external DVD writer without having to put the DVD on my hard drive. I have to make 3 copies of 19 DVD's. I would like to save the hard drive on my computer from having to much crap on it and destroying my hard drive and having to buy a new P.C.
Old 03-11-2013, 21:17   #7
Ralff

Infrarecorder should work. Basically all you want is to make a clone of the disc? I have not tried it but it does allow you to select different souce and destination drives.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43   #8
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
What i am hoping to do is copy from my P.C. directly to the external DVD writer without having to put the DVD on my hard drive. I have to make 3 copies of 19 DVD's. I would like to save the hard drive on my computer from having to much crap on it and destroying my hard drive and having to buy a new P.C.
It won't make a difference to the hard drive. When you use the computer to write a DVD the DVD file either comes from a file stored on the hard drive or from a temporary file on the hard drive. Either way the DVD is copied to the hard drive. If you copy the DVD to the hard drive first you can delete it after making a DVD, just like temporary file would be deleted. Either way, if you are copying DVD's they will be on and off of the hard drive.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38   #9
sbhaven

If the DVD's are not copy protected there are several free programs that can be installed to Windows to duplicate the DVD's. These programs support DVD to DVD burning if you have multiple DVD drives on your PC.
BurnAware
CDBurnerXP

If you want to duplicate the DVD to an ISO for storage on your hard drive for later burning to disc, ImgBurn is a great free program.

If your DVD's are copy protected then there are ways to back them up for personal use or to rip the video to play on tablets, smartphones, media servers, Roku's. I use several free programs to accomplish this task for personal use.
DVDFab HD Decrypter
DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15
Handbrake
FreeMake

Last edited by sbhaven; 03-12-2013 at 07:42..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40   #10
Adjuster

This is free for today only.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 15:25   #11
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Download IMGBurn.

It's free, easy & will do exactly what you want. Since they're home movies that were copied from VHS to DVD, you won't have to worry about cracking any copyright.

IMGBurn will do it easily, you can also set the number of copies you want it to make.
Old 03-15-2013, 20:29   #12
pat701

The LG DVD writer came with software. the provided softwarw did its job.
Thanks all for your advice.