Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2013, 17:45   #1
Swipter

Tough deciding between a Focus ST and Challenger RT

So I am in the market and having a tough time between two. I scoured the net and read all the specs on both. One is faster and one handles better.

Can I get some opinions on what you would buy?
Swipter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:52   #2
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

*Buy what "your" looking for / need and can afford...very simple...your money your choice...your needs...your decesion.

***Personally I like the jeep Wrangler...

But...for me Between those two manufactures....Mustang GT Or Challenger SRT....

Last edited by LASTRESORT20; 03-10-2013 at 17:53..
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:12   #3
Swipter

I can afford both.
Old 03-10-2013, 18:44   #4
Stang_Man

Apples to oranges IMHO.

The Challenger looks cool, is RWD, tons of power but not much room in the back seats.

The Focus ST is a little lighter, more roomy in the rear plus with hatch space, turbo'd and should get better gas mileage- but it is FWD.

So what are you looking to do? Daily driver? Weekend warrior? Any plans on racing it for fun, or modding anything?

FWIW I'd look at the SRT-8 Challenger, bigger motor/more power, and huge Brembo brakes.
Old 03-10-2013, 18:57   #5
Swipter

Really looking for just pure excitement. Don't want a mustang. Back seat room not an issue. Canyon carver is a consideration. I will drive both. I think the Focus ST is better in the curves. I am tall and broad so that may be the ultimate decider.
Old 03-10-2013, 21:53   #6
Rick305
ra1sales.com

I had a Challenger SRT8 first edition in Aug. 2008 , I now have a 12' focus hatch.

I say neither and wait on a good priced 12 vette
Old 03-10-2013, 21:54   #7
Rick305
ra1sales.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipter View Post
Really looking for just pure excitement. Don't want a mustang. Back seat room not an issue. Canyon carver is a consideration. I will drive both. I think the Focus ST is better in the curves. I am tall and broad so that may be the ultimate decider.

BTW I'm also 6'5" and I fit in the focus fine
Old 03-16-2013, 19:52   #8
ChallengerSRT

Well, I'm just a little biased, but I'd advise you look at both and actually DRIVE them. You want something that's going to turn heads every time you go out, check out the Challenger Classic that is hitting the dealers soon in Plum Crazy Pearl, or get another color. When I go out for a drive, whether it be commuting to work, shopping, or whatever, I look forward to driving my car. Check out the forums at Challengertalk.com and you'll learn a lot. My screen name is USponycar there.
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 20:31   #9
Littlescroll
NRA Member

Those are two very different cars. Definitely drive both... Personally I'd go with something more practical than the chalenger, like the ST. I personally went with a mazdaspeed3, which I still prefer over the ST after driving both.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11   #10
TheBlazer
TheBlazer

As Stang Man said, it is an apples vs. oranges comparison. However, personally, I would go with the Focus ST. Watched Motorweek last night and they tested a new Focus ST. For about $25k you can get a very hot hatch with the Recaro seat package. That thing really hauls butt, looks cool enough and gets good gas mileage. Had a surprisingly throaty exhaust growl too. Only available with a 6 speed manual though, if that is any consideration.
TheBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 17:02   #11
Swipter

Looking at consumer reports latest reviews I am holding on purchasing. I do like the ST and may look more in to that. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-18-2013, 17:06   #12
John_NJ

If those are your only two choices, I would probably vote Focus ST. But I work for a European luxury manufacturer and would look across the pond.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Donít respond to the stupidity of a fool; youíll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 17:17   #13
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

The Ford Focus is a ricer-wannabe. Get yourself a real American car, buy the Challenger.
Old 03-18-2013, 18:10   #14
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
The Ford Focus is a ricer-wannabe. Get yourself a real American car, buy the Challenger.
*rolls eyes*

You mean the Car and Driver 10 Best Ford Focus? Get a clue.

I have a lesser mk3 Focus SE (2012), which the ST is based on. It is my third Focus, and I give it the strongest recommendation I can. High build quality, quiet, easy to park, great on gas, and handles exceedingly well.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:20   #15
Swipter

No, Consumer's Reports and talking about the Dodge products. Everything I have read and seen on youtube about the ST has been good and I like that car. I currently drive a Camry with the 3.5 liter. It may not sound like much but it is quite fast. That is one of my issues. If I was driving a slow car things would be easier but from the start and up to 80 my Camry kicks in pretty good and doesn't need much room to pass.
Old 04-11-2013, 20:10   #16
GreenLightGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipter View Post
So I am in the market and having a tough time between two. I scoured the net and read all the specs on both. One is faster and one handles better.

Can I get some opinions on what you would buy?
Depends on what you want out of the car? If gas mileage and hitting the twisters is your thing, go for the Focus. If you want raw power and V8 straight line speed, go for the other.

FWIW, I bout my kids a 2002 Focus ZX3 - that car is an absolute hoot to drive. 34mpg highway for an 11yr old car at 106k miles.
GreenLightGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24   #17
ChallengerSRT

Having owned a Challenger R/T Classic in Plum Crazy Pearl and current owner of Challenger SRT now, it's safe to say I won't be buying a Focus anytime soon (like never).
They are two entirely different cars. The Challenger is huge compared with the Focus with a lot more room and comfort for long trips. If gas mileage is your thing, then the Focus would be a better choice. As I said earlier, I strongly suggest you actually drive each one to see which one feels better to you.

Last edited by ChallengerSRT; 04-12-2013 at 05:27..
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:34   #18
BOOSTED12A
sequestered!

have you looked at the volvo c30 r design? much better than a focus. mabe a mazdaspeed 3?