SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 18:14   #21
Kenneth54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Have you heard of any of the ammo ammo companies expanding their operations and adding more machinery? Or are they just doing what they usually do, produce what they can with what they have.
Contacted hornady a couple months ago trying to locate a set of 327 federal magnum dies . They said there was a back order of 105 of these dies at the time and they had expanded thier hours and hired people , but still couldn't keep up .
I was told to stay in touch with the retailers and it would be on the shelves eventually .
Kenneth
Kenneth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:17   #22
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Have you heard of any of the ammo ammo companies expanding their operations and adding more machinery? Or are they just doing what they usually do, produce what they can with what they have.
I used to know a WW ammo exec. I wish that I could contact him.
Old 03-18-2013, 18:21   #23
wdp

Found a box of. 22's today so things must be getting better, right?
Old 03-18-2013, 18:26   #24
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdp View Post
Found a box of. 22's today so things must be getting better, right?
Was it a 50 or 100-round box, or a box of 500?
Old 03-18-2013, 18:28   #25
wdp

LGS limited to a 100 round box of Remington Yellow Jackets. Not my fav but they go bang.
Old 03-18-2013, 18:36   #26
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdp View Post
LGS limited to a 100 round box of Remington Yellow Jackets. Not my fav but they go bang.
How are things in NY? Have you had to turn in your 8- and up-round magazines?
Old 03-18-2013, 20:54   #27
fredj338

Quote:
WHy would they? It is never a good business model to spend money w/o a sustainable market. They are doing studies, gauranteed, but they also know what many of us do, this is temporary & they would be foolish to start spending capital if there is no future demand. Big companies like ATK, ammo production is a drop in their economic bucket. When you are selling missle systems to the US Govt @ 100-400% profit, why worry about ammo manuf & it's relatively small profit margins of 20% or so.
So short answer, look for this to continue thru the 2014 election cycle. Dems win congress, it will get A LOT WORSE. Dems lose the Senate & House, things could be back to "normal" in as little as a 3 month from then. Prices are NEVER coming back, sorry guys. You can't print $40B a month & not expect inflation. So anything commodity based will continue to go up in price. Lots of commodities in ammo.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33   #28
mgentry

If the Gestapo keeps buying all of the available ammo in lots of a billion then not until it is to late ...
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22   #29
jdw174

Quote:
Makers of remanufactured ammo and ammo using new brass, like Freedom Munitions, Red River Ammo, and Great Lakes Ammo are at the mercy of their suppliers for components. Freedom is selling out of approx. 500K rounds per week. When 9mm pops up on their website it's selling out on an average of three minutes. They do have a store in Houston, Tx that stays fairly well stocked if you're in that area. I'm at the end of two months waiting for two cases of 9mm from Great Lakes and yesterday received an email that explained...again...the problems in getting sufficient components. They are no longer taking orders for any caliber and are doing their best to fill existing orders. They recently got in an apparently large shipment of both .40 and .45 bullets and will begin filling backorders for those. As for 9mm, they received only one fifth of the bullets needed to fill all their backorders.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32   #30
w4dov

soon but.....

I was told yesterday to expect it around mid-May.

I was also told to not be surprised if there was a SIN-TAX on ammo in the very near future.

We'll see...
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51   #31
Cain8768

Its still pretty difficult here in Central Illinois but I was able to score 3 boxes of 100 round packs of WWB here at my local walmart this morning. They had more ammo in there than I have seen in a while.
Cain8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16   #32
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
When people stop taking advantage of the panic buying. Would it surprise you to know that the supply has been corrupted by investors? People who see a "supply and demand" opportunity?

My local Walmart has a group of 5 guys that are there for every truck unloading. They each buy their limit in every caliber, then turn around and sell it online and at the gun shows at a higher price.
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24   #33
SJ 40

I don't see it loosening up any time soon. That said I have been wrong a time or three and this is one of those times I hope I'm Wrong. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36   #34
SCmasterblaster

I forget where I heard it, but mid-May 2013.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36   #35
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4dov View Post
I was told yesterday to expect it around mid-May.

I was also told to not be surprised if there was a SIN-TAX on ammo in the very near future.

We'll see...
Well add'l tax I agree on, May, who ever told you that is smoking crack.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42   #36
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post

You agree on taxing ammo at an additional rate than other items? Please explain....
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46   #37
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Why doesn't the government open up our strategic reserve like they do with oil? This would help consumers. :D

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-20-2013, 16:00   #38
w4dov

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
she was too big to be a crackhead.

She was just repeating what her manager had told her so take with a grain of salt.
Old 03-20-2013, 16:19   #39
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednoved View Post
My local Walmart has a group of 5 guys that are there for every truck unloading. They each buy their limit in every caliber, then turn around and sell it online and at the gun shows at a higher price.
Same here in Mid MO.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 16:43   #40
Darkangel1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
When all this craziness started with availability of ammo and guns, I thought it would be shortlived. I'm not sure anymore. When do you think ammo will be more readily available and prices will start to come back down?

End of the year.