GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2013, 18:39   #361
m2hmghb

BTW from what I've seen the M14 was somewhat less reliable then the M1 Garand.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:18   #362
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Gaston Glock
General Firearms Forum

John M Browning
General Firearms Forum

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:44   #363
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

J.M. Browning is the greatest gun designer in history. The Glock safe-action pistol, by virtue of it's SUCCESSFUL combination of innovative/revolutionary features, is one of the greatest handguns in history. Right up there with JMB's 1911 and the S&W M&P revolver action (1899!).

Gaston Glock is an "idea man" who was in the right place at the right time. He had a successful plastics factory, a collection of great ideas from gun knowledgeable people, and a design team which put it all together in time to win the Austrian military contract. And, to be "stateside" in the US just in time for the start of LE's transition from revolver to semi-auto.

Even those who drink the hater-aid have to admit the Glock safe-action is nothing short of amazing. But even the best designs won't succeed unless a market is waiting to receive them. Glock couldn't have timed it better.

The "safe-action" pistol absolutely rates with the best of JMB's designs. But Gaston Glock made a different contribution to firearm's history than JMB did. Glock was highly influential by virtue of one product and his ability to insert it into the marketplace. J.M. Browning's work advanced the firearm's field into the modern era, and his designs remain in use worldwide long after his passing.
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:52   #364
countrygun

Since I have seen so many of Gaston's concepts that are surely influenced by much older designs, I can't help but wonder if his "safe action" wasn't influenced by the .35 S&W auto that, because of its proprietary cartridge was a little known failure for S&W.

They moved the grip safety to the front of the grip frame, below the trigger guard, Gaston had his designers move it to the trigger.

Not saying it was a technical copy, but I don't think the Glock design came to him from nowhere.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 20:05   #365
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSTG58 View Post

By the way, the only way GG will ever be on the same level as JMB is when he dies he will be also be six feet under.
I wouldn't bet on that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 21:00   #366
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
BTW from what I've seen the M14 was somewhat less reliable then the M1 Garand.
Assuming we took two new rifles out and abused them....no real difference.

Assuming we took to new rifles and ran them properly until they died...no real difference.

Assuming we took two new rifles and accurized them to shoot matches...the M14 should be slightly more accurate and run slightly better.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20   #367
railfancwb

Article about Glock the man...

http://www.forbes.com/global/2003/0331/020.html

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29   #368
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM79 View Post
J.M. Browning is the greatest gun designer in history. The Glock safe-action pistol, by virtue of it's SUCCESSFUL combination of innovative/revolutionary features, is one of the greatest handguns in history. Right up there with JMB's 1911 and the S&W M&P revolver action (1899!).

Gaston Glock is an "idea man" who was in the right place at the right time. He had a successful plastics factory, a collection of great ideas from gun knowledgeable people, and a design team which put it all together in time to win the Austrian military contract. And, to be "stateside" in the US just in time for the start of LE's transition from revolver to semi-auto.

Even those who drink the hater-aid have to admit the Glock safe-action is nothing short of amazing. But even the best designs won't succeed unless a market is waiting to receive them. Glock couldn't have timed it better.

The "safe-action" pistol absolutely rates with the best of JMB's designs. But Gaston Glock made a different contribution to firearm's history than JMB did. Glock was highly influential by virtue of one product and his ability to insert it into the marketplace. J.M. Browning's work advanced the firearm's field into the modern era, and his designs remain in use worldwide long after his passing.
A very good assessment...I don't think we can remove the innovator from his/ear time. Who has had the greater impact: Thomas Edison or Bill Gates? Well, Gates would not have been without Edison, but society has advanced more quickly with Gates.

In a sense, the Browning/Glock question, while a fascinating and fun Internet debate, is comparing two disimilarities.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40   #369
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
A very good assessment...I don't think we can remove the innovator from his/ear time. Who has had the greater impact: Thomas Edison or Bill Gates? Well, Gates would not have been without Edison, but society has advanced more quickly with Gates.

In a sense, the Browning/Glock question, while a fascinating and fun Internet debate, is comparing two disimilarities.
Crap.

You are living in a bubble surrounded by the greatness of your own time, in your mind.

Electricity did more that the computer has done. "Advanced" really? Compared to entire manufacturing centers being developed, mass production being made possible on a huge scale. Computers have made existing technologies faster and have made some feasible that wouldn't be but remember we got to the moon without Bill Gates.

They really don't teach history well in schools anymore, perhaps it is because they don't want to hurt little Johnny's feelings by putting his era/generation in perspective.

As it relates to guns, there is no comparison between JMBs lifespan and GGs lifespan. The changes that Browning witnessed were truly gigantic. Since the Glock pistol was developed? Not so much.

No, you really DON'T understand how much Edison, Tesla, and their contemporaries changed the world. You need some history classes.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17   #370
countrygun

I have to say that Glock made a pistol that field strips very easy,

General Firearms Forum
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46   #371
mongo356

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1458366_.html

just to add fire.

Apparently his gun isn't the only thing country about him. So far all I see from his education is the ability to brown nose and call people stupid if you have a different view than him. After watching this thread it apparently brings out several minions. I think they have a political party carved out under those views.............

Last edited by mongo356; 03-23-2013 at 12:04..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22   #372
bac1023

I was actually hoping this thread would just die...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23   #373
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
you. me, everyone else.

look. if you want a glock, fine...buy one

if you want a 1911, buy one.

the end.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25   #374
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post

just to add fire.

Apparently his gun isn't the only thing country about him. So far all I see from his education is the ability to brown nose and call people stupid if you have a different view than him. After watching this thread it apparently brings out several minions. I think they have a political party carved out under those views.............
Could you point out what the link to another forum has to do with anything.

I am sorry you do not know the difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", again the educational system has failed.
Old 03-23-2013, 13:03   #375
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Don't underestimate the cult of St. Gaston.
Old 03-23-2013, 13:20   #376
caraker0341

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post

just to add fire.

There is a difference between smack talking and being a phallus. Heavy handed replies with no finesse should be sent directly to ARF.com. Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 03-23-2013, 13:23   #377
caraker0341

[QUOTE=Batesmotel;20116104]Don't underestimate the cult of Browning

Fixed it for you
Old 03-23-2013, 13:37   #378
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

JMB is untouchable IMO, the amount of designs, patents, longevity, etc... nobody comes close. Nobody.

I love my Glocks. Not a big fan of the gen 4 though.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.

Last edited by RMTactical; 03-23-2013 at 13:37..
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 14:50   #379
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Could you point out what the link to another forum has to do with anything.

I am sorry you do not know the difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", again the educational system has failed.
Oh, having read some of your responses, I think we know the failures of the educational system pretty well now.

Along with others, I am ready to let this topic die. Rational discourse died some time back.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 15:56   #380
caraker0341

Why do the people who want to kill this thread keep posting?