GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 18:39   #361
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,261


BTW from what I've seen the M14 was somewhat less reliable then the M1 Garand.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:18   #362
rgregoryb
Sapere aude
 
rgregoryb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Republic of Alabama
Posts: 12,781


Gaston Glock
General Firearms Forum


John M Browning
General Firearms Forum
__________________
"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
Ludwig Wittgenstein

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:44   #363
AgentM79
Platinum Membership
Senior Member
 
AgentM79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,062
J.M. Browning is the greatest gun designer in history. The Glock safe-action pistol, by virtue of it's SUCCESSFUL combination of innovative/revolutionary features, is one of the greatest handguns in history. Right up there with JMB's 1911 and the S&W M&P revolver action (1899!).

Gaston Glock is an "idea man" who was in the right place at the right time. He had a successful plastics factory, a collection of great ideas from gun knowledgeable people, and a design team which put it all together in time to win the Austrian military contract. And, to be "stateside" in the US just in time for the start of LE's transition from revolver to semi-auto.

Even those who drink the hater-aid have to admit the Glock safe-action is nothing short of amazing. But even the best designs won't succeed unless a market is waiting to receive them. Glock couldn't have timed it better.

The "safe-action" pistol absolutely rates with the best of JMB's designs. But Gaston Glock made a different contribution to firearm's history than JMB did. Glock was highly influential by virtue of one product and his ability to insert it into the marketplace. J.M. Browning's work advanced the firearm's field into the modern era, and his designs remain in use worldwide long after his passing.
__________________
Glock 17 (Gen1), 19 (Gen2), 21SF (RTF2), 26, 39
Glock Armorer (AC), Glock Instructor (IW)
Glock Advanced Armorer (AA)
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 19:52   #364
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Since I have seen so many of Gaston's concepts that are surely influenced by much older designs, I can't help but wonder if his "safe action" wasn't influenced by the .35 S&W auto that, because of its proprietary cartridge was a little known failure for S&W.

They moved the grip safety to the front of the grip frame, below the trigger guard, Gaston had his designers move it to the trigger.

Not saying it was a technical copy, but I don't think the Glock design came to him from nowhere.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 20:05   #365
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSTG58 View Post

By the way, the only way GG will ever be on the same level as JMB is when he dies he will be also be six feet under.
I wouldn't bet on that...
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 21:00   #366
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 27,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
BTW from what I've seen the M14 was somewhat less reliable then the M1 Garand.
Assuming we took two new rifles out and abused them....no real difference.

Assuming we took to new rifles and ran them properly until they died...no real difference.

Assuming we took two new rifles and accurized them to shoot matches...the M14 should be slightly more accurate and run slightly better.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20   #367
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 4,060
Article about Glock the man...

http://www.forbes.com/global/2003/0331/020.html


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29   #368
Pier23
Senior Member
 
Pier23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM79 View Post
J.M. Browning is the greatest gun designer in history. The Glock safe-action pistol, by virtue of it's SUCCESSFUL combination of innovative/revolutionary features, is one of the greatest handguns in history. Right up there with JMB's 1911 and the S&W M&P revolver action (1899!).

Gaston Glock is an "idea man" who was in the right place at the right time. He had a successful plastics factory, a collection of great ideas from gun knowledgeable people, and a design team which put it all together in time to win the Austrian military contract. And, to be "stateside" in the US just in time for the start of LE's transition from revolver to semi-auto.

Even those who drink the hater-aid have to admit the Glock safe-action is nothing short of amazing. But even the best designs won't succeed unless a market is waiting to receive them. Glock couldn't have timed it better.

The "safe-action" pistol absolutely rates with the best of JMB's designs. But Gaston Glock made a different contribution to firearm's history than JMB did. Glock was highly influential by virtue of one product and his ability to insert it into the marketplace. J.M. Browning's work advanced the firearm's field into the modern era, and his designs remain in use worldwide long after his passing.
A very good assessment...I don't think we can remove the innovator from his/ear time. Who has had the greater impact: Thomas Edison or Bill Gates? Well, Gates would not have been without Edison, but society has advanced more quickly with Gates.

In a sense, the Browning/Glock question, while a fascinating and fun Internet debate, is comparing two disimilarities.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40   #369
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
A very good assessment...I don't think we can remove the innovator from his/ear time. Who has had the greater impact: Thomas Edison or Bill Gates? Well, Gates would not have been without Edison, but society has advanced more quickly with Gates.

In a sense, the Browning/Glock question, while a fascinating and fun Internet debate, is comparing two disimilarities.
Crap.

You are living in a bubble surrounded by the greatness of your own time, in your mind.

Electricity did more that the computer has done. "Advanced" really? Compared to entire manufacturing centers being developed, mass production being made possible on a huge scale. Computers have made existing technologies faster and have made some feasible that wouldn't be but remember we got to the moon without Bill Gates.

They really don't teach history well in schools anymore, perhaps it is because they don't want to hurt little Johnny's feelings by putting his era/generation in perspective.

As it relates to guns, there is no comparison between JMBs lifespan and GGs lifespan. The changes that Browning witnessed were truly gigantic. Since the Glock pistol was developed? Not so much.

No, you really DON'T understand how much Edison, Tesla, and their contemporaries changed the world. You need some history classes.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17   #370
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
I have to say that Glock made a pistol that field strips very easy,

General Firearms Forum
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46   #371
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 853
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1458366_.html

just to add fire.

Apparently his gun isn't the only thing country about him. So far all I see from his education is the ability to brown nose and call people stupid if you have a different view than him. After watching this thread it apparently brings out several minions. I think they have a political party carved out under those views.............

Last edited by mongo356; 03-23-2013 at 12:04..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22   #372
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,732
I was actually hoping this thread would just die...
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23   #373
jakebrake
cracker
 
jakebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: too close to philly
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I was actually hoping this thread would just die...
you. me, everyone else.

look. if you want a glock, fine...buy one

if you want a 1911, buy one.

the end.
__________________
God made man, Sam Colt made us equal, John Moses Browning made us civilized... freemasons club Number 57
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25   #374
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1458366_.html

just to add fire.

Apparently his gun isn't the only thing country about him. So far all I see from his education is the ability to brown nose and call people stupid if you have a different view than him. After watching this thread it apparently brings out several minions. I think they have a political party carved out under those views.............
Could you point out what the link to another forum has to do with anything.

I am sorry you do not know the difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", again the educational system has failed.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 13:03   #375
Batesmotel
Senior Member
 
Batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 76 Totters Ln. London
Posts: 13,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I was actually hoping this thread would just die...
Don't underestimate the cult of St. Gaston.
__________________
It's smaller on the outside.
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 13:20   #376
caraker0341
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1458366_.html

just to add fire.

Apparently his gun isn't the only thing country about him. So far all I see from his education is the ability to brown nose and call people stupid if you have a different view than him. After watching this thread it apparently brings out several minions. I think they have a political party carved out under those views.............
There is a difference between smack talking and being a phallus. Heavy handed replies with no finesse should be sent directly to ARF.com. Thank you for your cooperation.
__________________
Agent K "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
caraker0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 13:23   #377
caraker0341
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 323
[QUOTE=Batesmotel;20116104]Don't underestimate the cult of Browning


Fixed it for you
__________________
Agent K "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
caraker0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 13:37   #378
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net
 
RMTactical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Behind an AR-15
Posts: 29,877


JMB is untouchable IMO, the amount of designs, patents, longevity, etc... nobody comes close. Nobody.

I love my Glocks. Not a big fan of the gen 4 though.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.

Last edited by RMTactical; 03-23-2013 at 13:37..
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 14:50   #379
Pier23
Senior Member
 
Pier23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Could you point out what the link to another forum has to do with anything.

I am sorry you do not know the difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", again the educational system has failed.
Oh, having read some of your responses, I think we know the failures of the educational system pretty well now.

Along with others, I am ready to let this topic die. Rational discourse died some time back.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 15:56   #380
caraker0341
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 323
Why do the people who want to kill this thread keep posting?
__________________
Agent K "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
caraker0341 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 792
176 Members
616 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42