Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 15:51   #1
Fishman731

Glock 20 gen 4 hunting set up

Just got my FDE Gen 4 Glock 20 and have some questions about the setup. I know that shooting constant hot loads in earlier generations require a change to a heavier spring but what about the gen 4. I haven't Found any spring assemblies available. Is it necessary with the gen 4's new spring assembly design to increase the spring weight?
My other question deals with fixed sights. Will fixed sights give the accuracy needed for hunting. If they do what sight do you suggest.
This is my first glock after a long time of sitting on the fence. The 10mm was the right choice for hunting because I shoot semi autos better than revolvers. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Fishman731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37   #2
Messer

Will this be your primary hunting gun, or the handgun you carry while hunting with a long gun?

What will you be hunting for?

At what distance are you expecting to use this handgun for hunting?

Answer these questions, and we might be able to give you a better answer.

Take care,
Bob S.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58   #3
Fishman731

Glock 20

I will be hunting whitetail mostly. I will use the g20 as my primary hunting firearm with hopes of being proficient at 50 yds. 50 yards will be my max even if I'm accurate beyond that. Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19   #4
ctious

50 is easy with them. U will find that as u shoot it more 100 yards is not that hard. With proper ammo you still have more power at 200 yards than a 45 at the muzzle. Not that I could shoot mine at 200 and hit what I want. But just saying. The power is there.

The only major change I would make to a gen 4 is sights. Maybe a 24 lb spring system. Or one of the new fancy 3 spring systems.

For sights red dots are great but expensive. Advantage tactical sights work nice. Also suppressor style sights work well too.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44   #5
Any Cal.

For >100yds you won't NEED to change anything from stock. You may appreciate a new front sight w/ fiber optic, blacking out the rear w/ a Sharpie, maybe a lighter connector, depending on how you shoot. The springs are a non-issue, a barrel could give a bit more velocity, but the extra probably won't accomplish anything for you.

Just spend the money on ammo or components and get some solid practice with a purpose in.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 13:56   #6
Messer

For your goal of 50 yards, I would put on a good fiber optic front sight, and get a bunch of ammo and practice shooting from real field positions.
(tree stand, up hill, down hill, etc...)

Happy Hunting,
Bob S.
Old 03-19-2013, 20:17   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

There is no requirement to swap springs. So unless your stock spring setup is causing an obvious problem that needs an aftermarket solution, I would not bother.

There are many different opinions about sights. You might want to run with what you have for a while to see if they work for you. A lot of people find the Glock sights lacking, and I can't disagree.

The point is, I would not run out and spend a bunch of money on aftermarket stuff yet -- specially for internal parts like recoil springs. Ammo or reloading components will get more mileage per $ in the early life of your gun. It will run very well right out of the box, and this will allow you to acclimate to your fine weapon; and to really understand what you feel that you need to fiddle with. Congrats on a very nice pistol!
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 20:55   #8
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
As others have said, just shoot it! (Also, developing a nasty reloading habit will help, too).
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:17   #9
RMM

ctious, do you have any "hands on" experience with the Advantage Tactical sights? They seem like a cool concept, but I am hesitant to plunk down the $100 to try them.

I am planning on hunting (Mule deer) with my G20, and have been working on my "long range" accuracy. I have found that I can group pretty well out out to 25 yards with the stock sights, but the front sight is very course. I think that out at 50-75 yards I could hit the deer, but not with as much precision as I would like (vitals).

With the stock Glock sights I have been able to fairly consistently hit a 55 gallon drum at 100 yards with a box-stock G26 (stock sights, stock "brick wall" trigger), but the hits are all over the drum. Certainly not accurate enough to ethically shoot a deer at that distance.

I am probably going to bring the rifle AND the G20... I'll only use the G20 if I can get close enough. This summer I am going to practice some 50-75 yard outdoor shots on a deer size target.

I have taken several deer at 100-150 yards with my muzzle loader with a fine fiber optic front sight. I have been thinking about keeping the stock Glock rear sight and getting a Dawson Precision .100 fiber optic front. They are about $40.

I do like how the ATS sights look "in theory". In practice I suppose that I would have to try them to find out.

The red dot sights are intriguing but they are expensive compared to other alternatives. Seems like you are going to be $250-500 for a dovetail mount setup, and $500-700 for a machined "melted" mount.

Last edited by RMM; 03-23-2013 at 12:21.. Reason: Spelling/additional thoughts
RMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 14:01   #10
scope422

I am doing the same thing that you are except I have a G20 SF Gen3. Don't know about Gen4 springs. I bought the gun just for deerhunting only, no self defense or even home protection, though of course it will work. I don't hunt with a rifle when I bring my G20. I've been tweaking this gun for 2 years now and really like the set up a lot. Almost all the information I learned was from these forums here. I am a stickler for accuracy and want my gun to be as accurate as possible. Almost all my shooting is off a bench rest. I believe in one good shot for hunting. Here's my set up learned by trial and error:

1. 6" Lone Wolf barrel with compensator. I highly recommend getting any of the quality 6" barrels from KKM, Storm Lake or Lone Wolf. Everyone has their favorite, all are good. If you want better accuracy and a stronger chamber for heavy duty hunting loads, this is the first item to get. I do install a 22# spring when I'm shooting my heavy hunting reloads. Otherwise the stock spring for everything else.

2. As for sights, I settled on the Advantage Tactical. It comes to a point, on top of a pyramid. It's a very accurate aiming point, it's like pointing an arrow at the spot you want to hit. Very accurate and nice for close shots. There are some great target sights with very fine blades on the front which are popular too. The name brands of those escapes me now.

3. No matter how nice the sights are, at 50 and 75yrds it just wasn't cutting it for me. Too hard to line up exactly right to get decent groups at those distances. I wanted 3-4" groups at those distances. And I want those kind of groups ALL the time, not just an occasional good group. I purchased a Carter Hunter scope mount and installed a quality red dot scope with a 1"moa dot. A small target dot. The mount will run about $150 but it's a beautiful machined aluminum piece, rock solid for the 10mm. Now the G20 started driving tacks!!!!! By the way, you can still use your sights under the scope mount for close ups, even the Tactical Advantage which are quite large.

4. I installed one of these competition trigger kits you find in many of the Glock web stores. It came with a 3.5lb bar and I believe 3 springs. This created a lighter and crisper trigger pull. My groups shrunk in half immediately!! I was shocked how much of a difference this mod made to accuracy even off a bench. Just amazing! This really isn't recommended if your planning on using it for self defense because of the light trigger pull.

5. The latest thing I'm playing with is a 2-7x pistol scope. Makes the gun even more awkward and heavy but having magnification is a big plus over the red dot. I do miss the quick pointing of the red dot though. I can see the twigs and branches in my shooting lane clearly and can avoid them on longer shots with the scope. And with the scope I can now consistently shoot 3" groups, sometimes less, easily at 50yds. Those are pretty small groups out of a 6" barrel, I don't care what anyone says.

This is just my opinion, of course it's all personal preference
scope422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 14:26   #11
RMM

scope422, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I also have a Gen3 G20SF.

If I could shoot 3-4" groups at 50 yards, I would be THRILLED. The best I've been able to do with the stock gun is ~4" group at 25 yards, and that was on a good day.

The scope mount is interesting, but it looks very bulky. I have heard people knock them on the Glock because the slide to frame clearances are pretty loose. If you are getting good repeatable results, it would seem to dispel that theory. Maybe the problem is the flimsy plastic that some of the other mounts are made out of.

What red dot are you running?

I did install a Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb. connector, increased power trigger spring, and reduced power safety plunger spring. I polished all of the contact surfaces with a white jewelers rouge. I did not mess with the striker spring. This seemed to help my groups a bit, but I think I would also do fine with the stock trigger which wasn't bad on my G20SF.
Old 03-23-2013, 18:46   #12
scope422

It's a Match Dot, the competition version by Ultra Dot. Has the smaller dot. I mistakenly said it was a 1 moa dot but it's a 2 moa dot, the smallest I could find. The screws for the mount and the scope need to be Lok Tite'ed, I learned that lesson by having everything rattle loose from the recoil. Here's what it looks like with the red dot and the scope. The scope is a cheap NC Star 2x7 pistol scope with the long eye relief, under $50. I just wanted to try it before I dropped like $250 to find out I didn't like it. So far it works great, very clear. Waiting to see if it breaks. Then I'll buy that nice Leupold !

Also removed the compensator with the scope otherwise it would be blowing gases on the front lens.

I hope I did it right and the pictures show up in the post
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 Ring - Click for larger version   The 10 Ring - Click for larger version  

Last edited by scope422; 03-23-2013 at 18:51..
Old 03-23-2013, 18:49   #13
scope422

Think I got it.

Last edited by scope422; 03-23-2013 at 18:53..
Old 03-23-2013, 20:02   #14
Fishman731

Thanks for the info

Thank you for all the information. It's given me a lot to think about!
Old 03-23-2013, 21:00   #15
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMM View Post
ctious, do you have any "hands on" experience with the Advantage Tactical sights? They seem like a cool concept, but I am hesitant to plunk down the $100 to try them.

I am planning on hunting (Mule deer) with my G20, and have been working on my "long range" accuracy. I have found that I can group pretty well out out to 25 yards with the stock sights, but the front sight is very course. I think that out at 50-75 yards I could hit the deer, but not with as much precision as I would like (vitals).

With the stock Glock sights I have been able to fairly consistently hit a 55 gallon drum at 100 yards with a box-stock G26 (stock sights, stock "brick wall" trigger), but the hits are all over the drum. Certainly not accurate enough to ethically shoot a deer at that distance.

I am probably going to bring the rifle AND the G20... I'll only use the G20 if I can get close enough. This summer I am going to practice some 50-75 yard outdoor shots on a deer size target.

I have taken several deer at 100-150 yards with my muzzle loader with a fine fiber optic front sight. I have been thinking about keeping the stock Glock rear sight and getting a Dawson Precision .100 fiber optic front. They are about $40.

I do like how the ATS sights look "in theory". In practice I suppose that I would have to try them to find out.

The red dot sights are intriguing but they are expensive compared to other alternatives. Seems like you are going to be $250-500 for a dovetail mount setup, and $500-700 for a machined "melted" mount.

Yes I have a set. Like them a lot.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 22:01   #16
RMM

scope422, that is a sweet setup! So the mount is solid and holds a good zero? How do you carry the gun with that beast on it? I have a few decent red dots I could "borrow" for the project, which makes that option intriguing.

The scope is also interesting but I always hard a hard time getting used them on a pistol. My dad has a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag 7.5" bbl. It used to have a cheap Tasco and the eye relief was terrible. After a few years we ended up taking it off. Maybe with a different scope things would be better.

If you had to do it all over again, would you buy the ATS sights? Would you buy the scope mount, or do a slide mounted reflex sight?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42   #17
scope422

Yes, the Carter mount is rock solid. I knew ultimately I was going to go with some type of optic so I spent the money on the best mount out there. I am no expert, just giving you my choices. Honestly, I would not have purchased the Advantage sights after putting the red dot/scope on. I haven't even looked at my iron sights in over a year. I would have kept the stock sights for 20yd or less shots and used the scope for anything else. I carry it in a Blackhawk soft case which comes with a shoulder strap. Carry it like a women's purse with the top zipper open so its right by my hand if I want. I put it in my backpack when walking in the dark to my stand. Not the best but more comfortable then a rifle over my shoulder. I only hunt from a treestand or ground blind. I have been hunting for almost 35 years and shot a LOT of deer. It doesn't bother me to let a deer walk away because it's too far to shoot. I don't take risky shots at all, I never want to wound a deer. I've been there and had to finish off many deer and I don't like it. The first shot is what counts, and that's what almost always happens, just one shot. I am no expert either with handguns or pistols, I've only started in the last 3-4 years. The thought of using a .44 revolver doesn't excite me, the thought of taking a 10mm pistol and going against the grain to make it into a mini deer rifle really peaked my interest in handgun hunting. The same reason I use a longbow many times instead of my Bowtech compound bow, the challenge. I've been reading these forums for a few years but rarely post anything, a lot of great info. And a big congrats to the ones who have taken deer and hogs with there Glocks, you can hear the pride in their stories, it's not easy. Well done!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:57   #18
scope422

By the way, I did look at the reflex sights but I liked the Carter mount because I can change the optics easily. Heck, I can even put a regular rifle scope on it if I didn't mind losing my front teeth when the slide comes back, LOL!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54   #19
RMM

Thank you so much for your very detailed thoughts! It is always good to get opinions from someone who has actually USED the equipment (in this day and age of internet commandos).

For me, hunting with the 10mm is exciting exactly because it is something new and more challenging. Muzzleloader hunting with open sights was very much this way for me, hunting with a Glock is an even bigger step up in difficulty level. I have never hunted from a blind or tree stand. I've never shot a deer closer than 75 yards. Many of them were 100+, the majority were 300+.

I've got a lot to think about now! Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00   #20
ModGlock17

I'd get one of these:

Turn your 10mm pistol into a carbine in less than 30 sec, then switch back to a pistol whenever you see fit. This should cover the distance of a pistol to near the distance of a rifle.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote