Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:35   #1
Bluescot

.357 Sig bullets?

I was lining up some 9mm brass to do a run of reloading for them and remembered that I didn't think I had much in the way of bullets for the 9mm.

I looked in the closet and found some Speer Gold Dot 9mm 115g .355 boxes and also a Speer Gold Dot 357 Sig 125g. .355 box #3994. I bought that box as I had a Sig P226 with both the 40S&W barrel and the .357 Sig barrel but after shooting the .357 Sig about 25 times with factory ammo I put the 40 barrel in and never took it out. Forgot about the 357 Sig bullets

Question: Why the 357Sig designation on a .355 bullet? Marketing ??
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:06   #2
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post
I was lining up some 9mm brass to do a run of reloading for them and remembered that I didn't think I had much in the way of bullets for the 9mm.

I looked in the closet and found ... a Speer Gold Dot 357 Sig 125g. .355 box #3994.

I read 2 question there.
1. The 357SIG uses bullets that are the same diameter as 9mm bullets--0.355" or 0.3555". It does NOT use 0.357"-diameter bullets, and that's why it's incorrect to label it .357SIG as some do. (I tell people that the 357SIG cartridge could have been correctly named the 9mm SuperMag.)

2. Speer labeled that 125g. bullet for the 357SIG because it's the 6-petal version that's built for the higher velocity of the 357SIG...I believe.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:37   #3
hogfish
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post

I looked in the closet and found some Speer Gold Dot 9mm 115g .355 boxes and also a Speer Gold Dot 357 Sig 125g. .355 box #3994. I bought that box as I had a Sig P226 with both the 40S&W barrel and the .357 Sig barrel but after shooting the .357 Sig about 25 times with factory ammo I put the 40 barrel in and never took it out. Forgot about the 357 Sig bullets

IIRC, the difference is in the ogive(?) The full diameter must run further out on the SIG than on the 9mm, otherwise the mouth on the SIG will sit beyond the beginning of the ogive (smaller diameter of bullet). Hope I was clear enough.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 20:56   #4
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

357 sig uses truncated cone profile in order to give more surface area for crimps. The round is notorious for having a very short neck. Standard ogive 9mm bullets will not work in the sig round. I presume the bullets are labeled this way as a service to reloaders.
Old 03-23-2013, 22:04   #5
dougader

Both reasons... it's built for more velocity and greater "shank" length, surface area, ogive... to give a better hold on the bullet with that short 9mm Sig magnum neck....

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote