Old 03-24-2013, 16:59   #21
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Love my 22s! Ruger SR22 and S&W M&P 15-22
General Firearms Forum
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 17:13   #22
Rcsteffen

I've got a 15-22 and freaking love it! I've been checking out the SR22 lately for the wife and daughter to learn with.
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 18:11   #23
bac1023

I love my Beretta Neos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 18:17   #24
CMG

My most recent purchase in .22 is the Ruger 22/45 MkIII LITE. It would be an excellent chouice, IMO to start a new shooter.

General Firearms Forum
Old 03-24-2013, 19:06   #25
UselessEnergy
simple user

General Firearms Forum

I had this ATI GSG 1911 22lr.

50 rounds after initial cleaning and the guide rod (cheap pot metal) broke and fell outta the slide onto the ground...

... one month later ...

I received a new guide rod in the mail and ran the ATI through its paces. The gun took EVERYTHING I threw at it. I couldnt get it to malfunction. I was beyond pleased
Old 03-24-2013, 19:10   #26
UselessEnergy
simple user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I love my Beretta Neos.
A close friend had one. It was a hoot to shoot. Accurate and dependable. The grip angle was aggressive and the styling a little out there; but, we both loved it.

later on I put a cheap red dot on it and we probably shot 300/350 rounds that afternoon.

Really cool 22
Old 03-24-2013, 20:24   #27
Haldor
Retired EE

Never go wrong getting a Ruger.

I have owned 6 Ruger .22 LR pistols in my life.

Two different Ruger Standard (original versions before they had a Mark I, II or III). First one I sold back in the '80s when I hit a rough financial patch.

Replaced the Standard with an identical pistol (4.75" barrel). Shot it for years. Ended up giving to my son when he asked for it.

General Firearms Forum

Ruger Mark II, SS 6". Installed a Volquartsen sear in it. Most perfect shooting pistol I have ever owned. Operates flawlessly with any ammo and incredible accurate. I will never sell this pistol (my daughter is inheriting this one).

Ruger SR22. Fun, double action pistol. Not as accurate as Mark II (neither is anything else I own). Son wanted it so I let him have it. Really nice pistol.

Ruger Single Six (convertable). Traded a Winchester 94 30-30 for it last year. I feel like I came out ahead on the deal. 50 year anniversary model, never been fired. I fixed that foolishness the following weekend. Neat to shoot, but again it is not a inhumanly accurate as the Mark II. I like it a lot, but could bear to part with it.

Ruger Mark II, 10 shots at 21 feet. Iron sights, off hand, average groupings. I pick different parts of the target for each magazine.

General Firearms Forum

I am going to be getting a second SR22 as soon as the threaded barrel versions become available. This pistol will make be a perfect suppressor host.

P.S. Does is say something bad about me that I can spell Volquartsen correctly without having to look it up?
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 03-24-2013 at 20:41..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24   #28
KalashniKEV

In that price range?

M&P 22.

I hated all the Umarex pot metal junkers and bought it only as a suppressor host, possibly only an interim one at that.

It has won my respect.

Still not the best made pistol in the world, but it has been 100% reliable and decently accurate.

General Firearms Forum

Also consider getting a CZ-75 and a Kadet kit. The kit alone is a bit more expensive, but it's a much more serious option that will last you.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27   #29
Norwood

Another thumbs up for the Beretta Neos. Never had a problem and the gun is easy to field strip and clean. Price is around $285
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32   #30
mike g35

S&W M&P22 $399.99 at Cabelas. Great little gun. Especially if you already own a M&P.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35   #31
Paulm777

Sig sauer has a nice 1911-22 I'm picking up this week. Went for 379.00 at local gun shop new..
Paulm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 15:17   #32
UselessEnergy
simple user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulm777 View Post
Sig sauer has a nice 1911-22 I'm picking up this week. Went for 379.00 at local gun shop new..
The Sig Sauer 1911-22 IS the same thing as the ATI GSG... except the gsg is cheaper
Old 03-25-2013, 16:37   #33
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but some of the steel pistols on the market weigh as much as a larger counterpart.

The MKIII Ruger weighs in at about 42 oz. An older child may have an easier time with it, but not a younger one. The 22/45 or even the aluminum upper version would be better for a shooter under say 10 years old. Ruger pistols are easily upgradeable for triggers, sights, and whatnot. They also come with rails and mounting screws for an electronic site if you want to go that route.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 19:39   #34
China boy

I was able to get to the range today with my girlfriend. We tried out a ruger MKIII and a S&W 22A. It was great. I really enjoyed both guns but I have a thing for that MKIII. It was a nice experience and she definitely was not intimidated like with my glock 23. It was nice to have my girl at the range and I think now she will come more ofter and shoot up all the .22 I bought the other day.

They have a revolver there and a 1911/ browning hi-power looking .22 I would like to try as well. They actually have like 6 different .22s so I'm sure we will try them all. Thanks for replies and feel free to keep sharing your .22 pistols and riffles.
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 19:45   #35
China boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but some of the steel pistols on the market weigh as much as a larger counterpart.

The MKIII Ruger weighs in at about 42 oz. An older child may have an easier time with it, but not a younger one. The 22/45 or even the aluminum upper version would be better for a shooter under say 10 years old. Ruger pistols are easily upgradeable for triggers, sights, and whatnot. They also come with rails and mounting screws for an electronic site if you want to go that route.
Haha, I actually meant my girlfriend but I did say just girl in the initial post. Oops. But she does have a 13 year old daughter that I want to teach to shoot sometime. But first we will work with the pellet guns in the garage before bringing her to the range.

And those MKIIs and IIIs do look very appealing to me. I would love something suppressed one day too.
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:59   #36
nathanours
Texan

You can't go wrong with an MKIII. I've got a total of $340 invested in mine including new grips, magazine disconnect removal (new bushing) and volquartsen sear. They have one of the best .22 triggers out there (unless you bump way up in price to S&W 41 range). I can't recommend them enough. Great looking guns too, and unlike some other .22s it doesn't at all feel like a toy. It's nice full steel frame won't have your girlfriend even slightly hesitant to shoot it. Shortly after shooting mine, my girlfriend had no problem moving up to the 1911. The stock plastic grips on the base models feel cheap, but there are many aftermarket options out there. I can break clay pigeons from about 50 yards away without much trouble with this gun.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08   #37
IllinoisGun

I bought a new SR22 and had to send it back to the factory 2 days later. Cheap POS.
IllinoisGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:09   #38
fallenangelhim
come get some

I have a flawless Walther P22.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The Kalashnikov Klub Member #1999
fallenangelhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28   #39
rvanpelt

I know you can't go wrong with any of the above guns. My wife didn't care for the recoil of the 9 mm I bought her so I bought her this Ruger SR22. A great trainer for her as she's getting to like her 9mm better. After owning this Ruger SR22 for about a year and running over 1000 rounds through it, we have had no issues or regrets. It's light weight, accurate for a short barrel, feels good, reliable with any ammo we've tried, easily stripped/cleaned, comes with an extra sleeve and mag and this all makes it a very fun gun to shoot. My 8 and 11 yr. old grandkids love it too. I added a low priced Center Point laser from Walmart which has made a great gun better. Has pressure switch between trigger guard making it protrude past muzzle but that keeps lens cleaner longer.
If possible, borrow or rent a handgun before you buy.
Enjoy your new .22!
Rod van Pelt

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by rvanpelt; 03-26-2013 at 18:28..
rvanpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07   #40
poodleplumber

I will throw in another plug for the Neos. I took several young ladies shooting for the first time when my daughters were in college, and they all like it and had immediate success that encouraged them. If the grip isn't the smallest of the bunch, it is in the running. And the styling that turns off traditionalists is attractive to some folks (and I have that 13-year-old in mind when I say that). Really a hard pistol to beat for cheap fun plinking and for starting new shooters.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote