SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:55   #21
Deye76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Why? The .45 GAP can't be loaded with 255gr bullets.
The perp on the recieving end won't know the difference.
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 21:30   #22
China boy

I was close to buying a g38 but decided to pass due to worries about ammo cost and availability. It seems fun to have a 45 gap gun but I decided 9mm and 45acp would be more practical until I could afford otherwise. If anyone is interested in a g38 I know of a currently for seller from PA.
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 23:08   #23
dougader

I was on the fence about one at a LGS, but I didn't want to take on a new caliber.... dies, brass, holsters; the deal died when the shop decided they wanted an extra $100 from the deal we talked about just two days earlier.

Seriously, I love all these cool calibers but I have been trying to cut back on the numbers for which I handload. I have 45 auto and 9mm; held off on the 40 S&W and 45 GAP. Passed on the 357 Sig cuz I've been into the 9x23 Winchester for some time now and a 125 @1500 fps is not hard for the caliber.

So, yeah, 45 GAP is a good caliber but I'm just not willing to take it on when I'm so well covered by what I have.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 00:49   #24
collim1
Shower Time!

A local shop about 45mins from my house always seems to have a decent selection of .45gap in stock, and at a price equal to .45acp.

Find a good deal on some and start stocking up. Start with JHP first, I'd want atleast 500rds.

I don't think .45gap will ever become significantly more popular, but I don't see it disappearing anytime soon either.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16   #25
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deye76 View Post
The perp on the recieving end won't know the difference.
Load it with 200gr LSWCs then.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 03-24-2013 at 11:17..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 21:47   #26
ccoprdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post

Keep your GAP. I've got ammo to last the rest of my life in several calibers.
Thanks I think I will. Just bought my 3rd GAP today along with my 4th 10mm.
ccoprdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30   #27
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Well, another year has gone by and they're still making GAP's, and even in this ammo crunch I still found it without even looking. Went with a buddy to a little gun store off the beaten path here in Tn. so he could pick up some .40 bullets he ordered to reload. I asked the guy behind the counter if he happened to have any GAP, said yea I got 5 boxes of Speer .200gr, same price as the PMC .45ACP (Korea) that just came in..how many you want. This is the 4th gun store I've been in for the first time that had GAP ammo on the shelf.
I would trust the South Korean PMC ammo. They have been our close and trusted allies since WWII.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48   #28
Deye76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I would trust the South Korean PMC ammo. They have been our close and trusted allies since WWII.
That don't make it well made! Even if it is, I try to buy American when I can....Speer made in Lewiston Id.
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29   #29
ccoprdc

Quote:
That don't make it well made! Even if it is, I try to buy American when I can....Speer made in Lewiston Id.
I've been using PMC ammo since the early 80's, mostly in .223 and have had nothing but the best performance. I will say that 99.999% of it was much HOTTER than American made, but it was also very clean burning. Back when it was cheap (like in the 80's) my shooting buddy and I could rip through 3 wooden crates on a Saturday and Sunday. I liked it so well I started using it exclusively for my .357mag,.38 special, and .44mag.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41   #30
ccoprdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Advantage of having a gun in a caliber that few own. There is lots of ammo because few are buying it. Good spin though.
Yeah, lots of folks predicted the demise of the 10mm in the 80's-90's, yet in 2013 they just can't keep up with supply and demand. Just because there are those slow to adapt or switch doesn't mean there is something inherently wrong with the round. As more and more people try it, more will wake up to it's merits.
Old 03-27-2013, 17:02   #31
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoprdc View Post
Yeah, lots of folks predicted the demise of the 10mm in the 80's-90's, yet in 2013 they just can't keep up with supply and demand. Just because there are those slow to adapt or switch doesn't mean there is something inherently wrong with the round. As more and more people try it, more will wake up to it's merits.
Same with the GAP. Some folks are just too slow to accept change.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49   #32
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I've been using PMC ammo since the early 80's, mostly in .223 and have had nothing but the best performance. I will say that 99.999% of it was much HOTTER than American made, but it was also very clean burning. Back when it was cheap (like in the 80's) my shooting buddy and I could rip through 3 wooden crates on a Saturday and Sunday. I liked it so well I started using it exclusively for my .357mag,.38 special, and .44mag.
There you go - another PMC lover.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03   #33
ccoprdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by China boy View Post
I was close to buying a g38 but decided to pass due to worries about ammo cost and availability. It seems fun to have a 45 gap gun but I decided 9mm and 45acp would be more practical until I could afford otherwise. If anyone is interested in a g38 I know of a currently for seller from PA.
You do know you can reload 45GAP with the 45acp dies you already have? You can use the same 185,200,230 grain bullets and at most your only extra expense will be for small pistol primers unless you are already using them for some of your 45acp or 9mm. I do it all the time on a lee set up for 45acp. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeazy.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52   #34
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
You do know you can reload 45GAP with the 45acp dies you already have? You can use the same 185,200,230 grain bullets and at most your only extra expense will be for small pistol primers unless you are already using them for some of your 45acp or 9mm. I do it all the time on a lee set up for 45acp. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeazy.
Thanx! I didn't know that.
Old 03-29-2013, 16:45   #35
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
I LOVE 45 GAP, sold my ACP's in favor of GAP!
What advantage do you see? Identical ballistics but a less common chamber?
Old 03-29-2013, 17:11   #36
ccoprdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
What advantage do you see? Identical ballistics but a less common chamber?
Speaking only for myself the selling point was Identical ballistics coupled with a smaller more comfortable grip. It was a win, win, win.

David C.
aka ccoprdc
Old 03-29-2013, 17:46   #37
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
Speaking only for myself the selling point was Identical ballistics coupled with a smaller more comfortable grip. It was a win, win, win.

David C.
aka ccoprdc
I see. I love single stack .45s grip size but I played with a double stack HK my hand's grip wouldn't even fit all the way around. I can see how this would greatly benefit a double stack or people with smaller hands now that I think about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 17:53   #38
ccoprdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
I see. I love single stack .45s grip size but I played with a double stack HK my hand's grip wouldn't even fit all the way around. I can see how this would greatly benefit a double stack or people with smaller hands now that I think about it.
It's grip size is almost identical to the G17 and G22. It's not a slim grip per se, but much slimmer than a G20 or a G21.
Old 03-29-2013, 22:58   #39
Ak.Hiker

I see the D37 is out in Gen 4 with the removeable backstrap. Sounds like a nice set up.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36   #40
CDW4ME

I really like my Glock 38