SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:48   #1
Bren
NRA Life Member

Ek Knives

Anybody a fan of Ek? I am not a collector and would never spend big bucks on a knife, but I have been interested in Ek Knives since I was a teenager reading Soldier of Fortune in the 70's.

I recently came across a couple of Bargains on a bare and unmarked Ek Model 2 Blade ($20 on Ebay because the guy didn't mention "Ek" in the title) and an Ek Model 5 with the blued blade and brass guard from Effingham. I'll probably take one or the other on my next deployment. I'd love to hit a good bargain on a Richmond, VA Ek.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49   #2
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Anybody a fan of Ek? I am not a collector and would never spend big bucks on a knife, but I have been interested in Ek Knives since I was a teenager reading Soldier of Fortune in the 70's.

I recently came across a couple of Bargains on a bare and unmarked Ek Model 2 Blade ($20 on Ebay because the guy didn't mention "Ek" in the title) and an Ek Model 5 with the blued blade and brass guard from Effingham. I'll probably take one or the other on my next deployment. I'd love to hit a good bargain on a Richmond, VA Ek.

I'd love a number four or the new Sykes Fairbairn.

I'm contemplating selling off one of my custom BHK's and a collector fixed blade from LT Wright to fund one.

GT user Fox I believe has quite a few.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 03-18-2013 at 11:50..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:32   #3
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Anybody a fan of Ek?

I recently came across a couple of Bargains on a bare and unmarked Ek Model 2 Blade ($20 on Ebay because the guy didn't mention "Ek" in the title) and an Ek Model 5 with the blued blade and brass guard from Effingham.
Yup, I'm a big fan. My only Ek, is a Commando which I picked up on a closeout (way back when). It is a very nice part of my collection.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 19:41   #4
wespainter

I've been a big fan of EK knives since the 1970s. I currently own about 9 of them (all 70s vintage). Watch out for fakes/copies. Did the $20 No. 2 from eBay turn out to be a genuine EK?
wespainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:09   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespainter View Post
I've been a big fan of EK knives since the 1970s. I currently own about 9 of them (all 70s vintage). Watch out for fakes/copies. Did the $20 No. 2 from eBay turn out to be a genuine EK?
Best I can tell. Research says that Blackjack sold off a bunch of blades to Numrich/Gun parts Corp. when they quit making Ek. The seller said it came from a "freight auction." All of the dimensions are correct (length.width,thickness,holes and spacing, etc.) and the edge and steel quality appear to be.

I'd like to have one from Richmond, just because carrying a knife made in Illinois can't be good luck, but my knives are for use, so getting them at a bargain price is a plus. I got a Camillus M3 trench knife sheath for the model 4 and I got micarta grips and X-fasteners from Ek, but ended up just wrapping it in paracord.

Last edited by Bren; 03-24-2013 at 06:12..
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59   #6
MinervaDoe

Quote:
I got micarta grips and X-fasteners from Ek, but ended up just wrapping it in paracord.
That's the way Ek did the handle on my Commando. I like the feel of it.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59   #7
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Best I can tell. Research says that Blackjack sold off a bunch of blades to Numrich/Gun parts Corp. when they quit making Ek. The seller said it came from a "freight auction." All of the dimensions are correct (length.width,thickness,holes and spacing, etc.) and the edge and steel quality appear to be.

I'd like to have one from Richmond, just because carrying a knife made in Illinois can't be good luck, but my knives are for use, so getting them at a bargain price is a plus. I got a Camillus M3 trench knife sheath for the model 4 and I got micarta grips and X-fasteners from Ek, but ended up just wrapping it in paracord.

That's a hell of a deal then. Post up some pics if you get a chance.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 20:58   #8
Fox
Varmit Control

The Cutting Edge

I am partial to the Model 1 Commando Knife. I have background in stick fighting and I prefer to not have the handguard. I should start producing some knife fighting videos.

BTW, that is a Randall Model 1 - 7" and all these blades were shipped to me in Afghanistan from the manufacturers. They all ship to APO addresses. Randall normally has a five year waiting period, but they have standard military models that will get to military orders in like five weeks. I got mine in less than three weeks.
The LaGana VTAC tomahawk was given to an Afghan policeman because I had immediate buyers remorse upon delivery. It's useless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fox; 03-28-2013 at 21:06..
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 21:02   #9
Fox
Varmit Control

Last edited by Fox; 03-28-2013 at 21:13..
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

A Randall would be nice. I used to live in the same neighborhood with them, in Orlando. I have been over to their estate/museum/workshop. It was pretty cool, but I have never owned one of their knives,
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Here are my knives - as I said, I'd never pay the full price for a new Ek or anything collectible, but these will do for use. The top one, with the black/blued blade is the one I got at the gunshow for $40. It is unmarked, but the handle wrap, dimensions, quality and sheath all look like Ek and I have seen several unmarked Effingham/Blackjack Eks like it.

The second one is the one I bought as a bare blade, put on an Ek crossguard and wrapped the grip. The wrap is a little sloppy, so I may re-wrap it. The sheath is a Camillus for an M3 trench knife, but I will probably take it to Afghanistan with me in a Ka bar sheath that has MOLLE attachments.

The Cutting Edge

Now I have these 2 and a Becker BK2 I'd like to take with me. On the other hand, I don't need any large knife and I don't want to look like the Air Force kid I saw in Bagram, in a Dfac, with a knife on his belt, one on the off side of his shoulder holster, one on his leg and a machete across his back (I hope he was doing it as a joke). Maybe I'll rotate which on goes on my OTV every couple of months.

Last edited by Bren; 03-29-2013 at 09:25..