Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:13   #1
Marine123

My truck broke down......

So I have been driving my for about 13 yrs now (00 GMC 5.3) it finally gave out. I had decided a while back when I got this truck, to never again get a vehicle from a dealership. I have repainted, new upholstry, repaired the head gaskets,put in a new transmission taken good care of it and over the years it has taken care of me. I don't want to get rid of my big red truck for sentimental reasons,but the wife says its time to get a new one. I think she needs to realize how much money were saving by not having a 500$ payment.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19   #2
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine123 View Post
So I have been driving my for about 13 yrs now (00 GMC 5.3) it finally gave out. I had decided a while back when I got this truck, to never again get a vehicle from a dealership. I have repainted, new upholstry, repaired the head gaskets,put in a new transmission taken good care of it and over the years it has taken care of me. I don't want to get rid of my big red truck for sentimental reasons,but the wife says its time to get a new one. I think she needs to realize how much money were saving by not having a 500$ payment.

What's wrong with it?
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29   #3
Marine123

The transmission control module I think it controls the shifting and the truck won't turn on its an easy fix. The only thing is the wife has been nagging me to get a new vehicle.

Old 04-03-2013, 14:36   #4
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Some things women just don't understand. I'd fix it, and carry on.
Old 04-03-2013, 21:51   #5
I'm gone
at the track

I have a '92 GMC 4x4 I bought new, still driving it, my Pete has 1.4 million on it, I bought it new also. You can make anything last as long as you want, my thinking is never have a car payment, pay cash or don't buy it, you didn't say if you live paycheck to paycheck or have a net worth north of 1 mill. but payments suck! When I bought my last car (Ferrari) I wrote a check and drove it home, I think if you can do that for a new truck then maybe your wife might have an argument for buying it, if not buy another used one or I'd fix the one you have, just like you were thinking.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:26   #6
Marine123

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm gone View Post
I have a '92 GMC 4x4 I bought new, still driving it, my Pete has 1.4 million on it, I bought it new also. You can make anything last as long as you want, my thinking is never have a car payment, pay cash or don't buy it, you didn't say if you live paycheck to paycheck or have a net worth north of 1 mill. but payments suck! When I bought my last car (Ferrari) I wrote a check and drove it home, I think if you can do that for a new truck then maybe your wife might have an argument for buying it, if not buy another used one or I'd fix the one you have, just like you were thinking.
We live comfortably but not enough to pay 20 k plus in one go. I like to save money and if I can't pay it cash I don't need it.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:54   #7
m2hmghb

I'd fix it then start taking saving 500 a month to get a good down payment on a new vehicle. In twenty months you'll have enough to put half down for an easier monthly payment, of course you could save more or less.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:05   #8
Bill Bloggins

I always thought the easiest way to save a lot of money over the life of the vehicle is to buy lightly used and let the first owner take the huge depreciation. Avoiding the full pull payments on a new vehicle is laudable, as is getting the full use out of the vehicle as seen by your excellent use of your GMC 5.3. Minimize your buy in and then run the wheels off it!
Bill Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:12   #9
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Well you don't trade in your wife when she needs some new clothing upgrade.

Fix the old girl and keep on trucking. However as said above. Make plans to get a new one for when she really goes. Truck, not wife.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39   #10
Marine123

Well I finally went and bought the part needed for the repair total cost $40.08

Old 04-05-2013, 16:04   #11
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Excellent

Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:01   #12
Marine123

Fixed the truck and now I'm going to save 500$ a month or maybe even a paycheck. Just to kind of to make the wife feel the pinch lol.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:08   #13
Marine123

Crap my engine busted......
Old 05-03-2013, 19:43   #14
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Now might be the time to upgrade.