Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2013, 20:24   #1
Randco

Problems with G19 Gen 4 and G17 Gen 4- Need Input

I recently purchased a G17 Gen 4 and G19 Gen 4. I am having a common problem with both of them. Both were purchased within the last 3 weeks. I have had one of the 3 magazines of 17 and 2 magazines of the 19 give me troubles at range. The shell seemed to not want no travel up the slide into the chamber correctly and jam. Same exact issue with both guns. I switched the ammo to another magazine that came with them and they fired correctly. The 19 was much worse than the17. This was the first time the 19 had been fired since purchasing it a week ago. Both guns were purchased new from reputable dealers and both were in the display case less than a day. I happened to find them both by chance. I thought originally that the 17 had a faulty magazine and today I find it hard to believe 2 more faulty magazines with a brand new 19!?
I am looking for any suggestions and or advice. Thanks in advance

Posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
Randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 20:36   #2
bentbiker
NRA Member

What ammo? Especially what type of bullet. Are you sure the mags are seating fully?

Last edited by bentbiker; 04-05-2013 at 20:43..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 20:42   #3
Randco

Both and the ammo happens to be steel cased not brass. I'm confused why the ammo cycled flawless in one mag of then19 but continuously jammed in the other 2 magazines. They are all 3 new and first day at the range out of the box.

Old 04-05-2013, 20:53   #4
bentbiker
NRA Member

You didn't specify the type of bullet. Not SWC's by any chance? Easiest thing to try would be top name-brand, brass-cased ammo. When you depress the cartridges in the mags, do they quickly rise up, or is one end sluggish coming up? How many rounds failed in the bad mags and how many functioned well in the good mags -- enough to make sure it was not coincidence?
Old 04-05-2013, 21:13   #5
Randco

WPA 115 grain FMJ 9x19mm, Russian ammo. Ammo did seem a little sluggish and I had one round that I couldn't get to chamber at all. The rounds seem to jam at a 45 degree angle and I had to continuously remove the magazine and shake the round out. I would say between 2 magazines I had a combined total of 8 rounds jam. So much so that I removed all the ammo from both problematic magazines and loaded it into the third problem free magazine. All but one round fired through the third magazine, probably 20 rounds total.

Old 04-05-2013, 21:34   #6
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randco View Post
All but one round fired through the third magazine, probably 20 rounds total.
That means you had FTFeed in all 3 mags, and it's hard for me to think that faulty mags are that prevalent. I'd try the other ammo. If that solved it, but you have a bunch of that ammo to get rid of, you might be able to wipe them down with a silicone rag or something to make them slide a bit better.
Old 04-05-2013, 22:59   #7
mesmith&weson

I have heard a lot of problems with the russian ammo. try some federal american eagle or win white box. I have had zero problems with that ammo. In my g23
mesmith&weson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 23:11   #8
SGT45

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said!!!!! Try some quality ammo first. It has been reported that some foreign ammo has a lacquer or other type of finish on them and some ammo is out of spec.
GT Club numbers: G1 Niners#4527/.40 S&W #4527/Bull Dawg#4527.
SGT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23   #9
DannyR

Try some quality domestic ammo, like Winchester USA, Lawman, American Eagle, or imported S&B.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42   #10
Randco

9mm ammo is almost nonexistent here in southern Ohio and that was all I could find at the time. I purchased 200 rounds of it and have only 50 left. Ammo and guns are slowly coming back here so I will try of the suggested ammo that is available. Thanks

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39   #11
Police305

Stop using foreign ammo. Start using Federal Champion 9mm ammo, I have put hundreds of rounds through my Gen4 G19 without a single problem (except for the occasional shell to the face, about 1 out of 100 rounds eject back toward your forehead...which is pretty normal in the Gen4 G19's). If all else fails, just buy a new set of magazines!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:03   #12
F106 Fan

MANY of the Gen 4 9mm's have problems with WWB and Federal Champion. These 115 gr rounds are underpowered and the Glocks are designed for NATO level loads.

So, look for some 124 gr FMJ where NATO is marked on the box. The muzzle velocity should be around 1200 fps.

In contrast, the Federal will be lucky to make 1100 fps with a lighter bullet.

Richard
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57   #13
Bruce M

Add me to the column that would try different ammunition first.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13   #14
Farmalljon

It seems fairly well agreed upon that the gen 4 glocks will function better with quality ammo. I STILL have not fired my brand new gen4 G19 because I can't find any ammo yet. Anybody else remember a time when one of the greatest, if not THE greatest selling point of a Glock was it's ability to digest just about ANY old grap ammo and ask for more? Now it seems that a complete 180 has taken place.... The Gen 4 Glocks seem to be amoung the MOST FINICKY guns around when it comes to ammo selection. Too bad.
Farmalljon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17   #15
MikeG36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Try some quality domestic ammo, like Winchester USA, Lawman, American Eagle, or imported S&B.
Yup! You need some good quality ammo. In addition to what Danny mentions above, try some Winchester NATO - if you can find any......
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:11   #16
Randco

I do have a question, why would all of the ammo fire from one magazine and not the other 2? All 3 magazines are brand new and all came with the 19 new. Oil off my fingers moving it from one magazine to the other or what? I would gladly use other ammo but this was all that I could find at the time. I couldn't even buy a box when I bought the gun so I used what I could find.

Old 04-06-2013, 18:22   #17
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmalljon View Post
It seems fairly well agreed upon that the gen 4 glocks will function better with quality ammo. I STILL have not fired my brand new gen4 G19 because I can't find any ammo yet. Anybody else remember a time when one of the greatest, if not THE greatest selling point of a Glock was it's ability to digest just about ANY old grap ammo and ask for more? Now it seems that a complete 180 has taken place.... The Gen 4 Glocks seem to be amoung the MOST FINICKY guns around when it comes to ammo selection. Too bad.

I have fired 43,600 flawless rounds from 1 of my Gen 4 Glocks and many rounds from the other ones with zero issues but I do not use Russian junk ammunition.
JBP55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 18:23   #18
marflyers
New Glock Owner

Great info waiting for MD background check and fortunately I have 1,000 rds of federal champion for my 19 Gen 4. I also have some WPA that I will be selling on Gunbroker.
marflyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 19:30   #19
Smooth_squeeze

When I went to a LGS to buy my G17, I didn't know about the differences between Gen 3 and Gen 4. I did see the Gen 4 cost about $40 more. So I asked the fellow who was showing me the guns what his opinion was. He mentioned there had been some problems with the Gen 4s and FTFs, and showed me the dual recoil springs. He said if I were to go with the Gen 4s that I would probably get better results shooting bullet weights of 124 grain and up. The 115 grain could be iffy. He's a competition shooter, and prefers the Gen 3. So that's what I bought.

While I'm not sure how many rounds I have through my Glock, it's definitely more than 2,000. Maybe 3,000?

In any case, I've had 2 (two) issues with it since I got it. One was obviously a very underpowered round that ended up not ejecting completely and caused a jam. That happened one other time. Besides that, pure bliss.

The salesman told me that Glock would gladly ship out different recoil springs for the Gen 4s, free of charge.

Nah.... Gen 3 has been just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmalljon View Post

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." and "Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Douglas MacArthur
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 19:36   #20
ditto1958

Randco, if I might ask, are you an experienced shooter?

Also, as far as the ammo goes, the early Gen 4 9mm Glocks apparently had a few problems with weaker brands of 9mm ammo. If yours are among those early ones, Glock will give you new recoil springs.

I do know of at least one fairly popular YouTuber who shoots lots and lots of Wolf ammo in all his guns, including Glocks. He loves the stuff, cause it's cheap and it works. It may just be a break-in issue. Doing a good cleaning and lube after each time out with them may go along way towards eliminating your issues.

Last edited by ditto1958; 04-30-2013 at 19:44..
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote