SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59   #1
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Tracks of stone !

Well, I thought this might be different for ya..

Out here on the ranch, we have many mountain Plateaus.
These were covered with Comanche over 100 years ago and even further back. We always find artifacts, even when not looking. I only posted 'ONE' case of arrowheads, spearheads, and such here, cause my real purpose (being a hunting forum) was to put the "Track of stone" pics up here for ya. Not to uncommon to find these in this type soil, and we even have a burial ground with a good number of 'important Comanches" resting there. We could 'turn em' up', but I said "NO." !

Anyway here are a few pics, there are just waaaay to many to show, but perhaps you guys will find it interesting...

This is just "ONE" case of arrow head stuff.

Top row, L-R All arrow heads and one scraper, second from right. 2nd row arrowhead, drill, drill, 3 arrowheads and a scraper. Bottom row, tomahawk, spearhead, and tomahawk.

Yes in the middle I tossed in a Heter's broadhead from back in the early 70's I used to use befor they went out of business, just for grins..

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Now, These next pics are of a deer track that is hundred's ++ of years old, and because of the way the canyons are formed, and the type of soil in them, some tracks survive and over centuries turn into stone, unscathed by water, wind, etc.. They were in such a place (at the time made) that some stay well preserved from the elements, and you luck off and find them from time to time..

Sooo, Thought I'd share some "Deer tracks" with ya, most folks don't see very often, if ever at all.

I placed the 1901 indian head penny in there for size comparison, and my thumb as well...

Fresh Tracks out back here, for your comparison...

Well, I hope to come across one with Turkey track in it some day. I sure been looking... One man out here down from 'our ranch,' already found a Comanche female skull, and it is not uncommon to find all this stuff just about every time you go out.

Wish it had been a turkey track with the season coming up in a day or two for y'all, but just thought this might be interesting..

Maybe I'll post some more artifacts later when I have time to do so..

Good hunting amigos

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 03-27-2013 at 19:15..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18   #2
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Some the "best" places on our ranch to find the really good stuff...

This mountain Plateau, is another good spot. Also for long range deer during season. Got a great view..

Burial site under the carved rocks. Each weighs so much without a backhoe would take 20 men to move it enough to dig a shallow hole and drop it back down on the buried injun !

Great place for arrow heads and spearheads and tomahawks...

Behind the ranch house..

Enjoy...

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CanyonMan; 03-27-2013 at 19:35..
Old 03-27-2013, 18:23   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

OR... You can find stuff in the caves on the ranch.. Watch out for those rattlers (certain times of year).

OK, I'm not bored any more, and gotta go amigo's
Hope y'all like the pics.... Just for fun !

Just to wet the appitites of you guys fixin to turkey hunt here in a few days ! Ha Ha.

Good Hunting.

CanyonMan

Old 03-27-2013, 18:47   #4
countrygun

You love it around here. We can go about 20 miles upriver and hunt for fossilized clams and sea life or prowl for native artifacts along the beach a couple of miles away.

The native sites inland are not well known, except to a few of us, and they are protected.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 19:19   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

PHOTO BUCKET Keeps screwing up my pics and they keep disapering so sorry if their gone !

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 03-27-2013 at 20:19..
Old 03-27-2013, 20:35   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You love it around here. We can go about 20 miles upriver and hunt for fossilized clams and sea life or prowl for native artifacts along the beach a couple of miles away.

The native sites inland are not well known, except to a few of us, and they are protected.

Well sounds good...

I'm pretty blessed just to go behind the house here ! haha.

My brother always has wanted to lift up the huge burial ground stones (dozens of them scattered all over) but I flat won't let him. Man let em' be.

It don't rain much out in this part of West Texas, in fact rarely does it rain, but still i have found spear heads and tomahawk heads, laying on top of the ground. There is NO end to them. When it does come a gully washer, man stuff shows up all over.

This is a very big ranch, always buying and selling of land, and my brother just tried to buy another ranch bordering ours that has just flat shut down, so we have a good bit of land to cover, and history, and it was covered in Comanches. Most of the ranches out here run 10,000 to 200,000 acres +.

We have a good number of caves as well on the ranch, one you hve to decend straight down on a rope and pully system tied to the axle of the pickup. Down down you go for a very long ways. It is a huge hole in th TOP of one of the mountains here on the place, and it's filled with tons of cool stuff.

One place has a cealing approx 80 feet high in one room, and then crawl holes in other places. under ground creeks up to 10feet deep and clear as crystal, and ice cold.

There are comanche Pictographs on some of the walls, and fossils and bones and man you name it....!

I really don't "hunt" so to speak for this stuff, oh, maybe every now and then, usually just "find it" as I am about my business. I have a truck load (so to speak) of all this stuff.

The caves, some of them can be bad news to go in (depending on time of year) due to the rattlers.

We are told by the Sweetwater, Texas snake hunters, that we got more rattlers on our ranch than any ranch in the entire county. There are dens all over the place, and right now in fact, there flooding out and into the grass and brush.

April turkey season is crawling with them, and tons of babies with NO rattles, and the diameter of a pencil and about 11-12" long and more deadly than their 6 foot parents !

When friends come herwe to hunt turkeys from towns/citys etc, they always wear snake leggins, and we have a good deal of "fun" with them. haha.

Just got to be "behind the guy if he has a gun," when ya shake a little rattle... haha.

Stay safe..

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 03-28-2013 at 10:40..
Old 03-28-2013, 00:14   #7
countrygun

Our family ranch was on a village site and around here there are "shell middens" where they used to gather and eat mussels and other shellfish. There are also burial grounds and etc but I have kept mum about the locations. My Dad learned about them from his family I won't talk.

One of the biggest thrills I ever had was something most folks wouldn't understand. I had long thought that a certain spot was just "the right spot" for tool making. It was on the top of a hill with a fairly old tree on it. A few years ago a big storm came up and took the tree down. I ran down and sure enough, the uprooted ground contained a huge amount of flakings and "Spalts" from tool making. It was bigger to me than finding arrowheads. To have correctly concluded long ago that they probably used that spot and then to have all the evidence, when it had all been buried, was a real thrill.

As the county Museum Curator I worked with the USFS Archeologist after a big fire. They were identifying ancient village sites. The brought in a Native American archeologist and he just walked through the area pointing here and there And sure as heck there would be evidence. Number two thrill was when one of the sites turned up a "Clovis" point, which knocked conventional theories, about the timeline here, into a cocked hat.

Last edited by countrygun; 03-28-2013 at 00:14..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37   #8
BierGut

Thanks for sharing the pictures, CM... damn fine country.
Safari Club International

BierGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:01   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierGut View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures, CM... damn fine country.

You are most welcome amigo..!

I just thought folks might enjoy it. Not to many get to see this type of stuff.

Stay Safe

CanyonMan

Old 04-01-2013, 18:03   #10
Hummer
Big Member

CanyonMan, thanks for the great post and photos! The arrowhead and spear point collection is like one I have, but your fossil deer track is really special, deserving of a protected display that will be passed on.

I'd be wary crawling into one of those critter holes. Might run nose first into a coyote or a javalina instead of a little rattler.

Someday soon I want to get back to the Davis Mountains of West Texas, I'm guessing that's where the photos are from. Want to go turkey hunting too. Nice haul, my friend, makes my mouth water.

P.S.: Why so bashful? Afraid all the GT wimmins will be a houndin' ya?

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 18:43   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
CanyonMan, thanks for the great post and photos! The arrowhead and spear point collection is like one I have, but your fossil deer track is really special, deserving of a protected display that will be passed on.

I'd be wary crawling into one of those critter holes. Might run nose first into a coyote or a javalina instead of a little rattler.

Someday soon I want to get back to the Davis Mountains of West Texas, I'm guessing that's where the photos are from. Want to go turkey hunting too. Nice haul, my friend, makes my mouth water.

P.S.: Why so bashful? Afraid all the GT wimmins will be a houndin' ya?

Hey thanks pard. Yeh we're somewhere out here in W. Texas.... Ha.

As far as crawling in those holes. The longest one so far has been 3 hours end to end, some places I had to lay in mud and shallow water in a tube about the size of an 18 wheeler steering wheel. That went for "we guessed" over a 1/4 mile. Hard to keep track in these guys.

He have found rooms with a "maze" in them like a "mouse maze," and others with holes so deep we could not see bottom, while scooting along on a ledge about 14" wide and slick and at about an 45 degree angle.

Only came across wild goats in one once. Scared the guy I took in with me to death ! hahahaha.

Been around it all my life out here, so I guess I'm used to it. Rattlers are all out now and in the brush, so it's a good time to go, but got to watch at the 'mouth' for some late movers !

Yeh, the deer track rocks (i call em) are really a special treat. As I said, I am hoping for a turkey track rock one day.

I really never "strike out to hunt stuff," I just find it during every day ranch life doing what we do and BAM there something will catch your eye ball.. ha.

And I'm really getting waaaay to old to crawl around in the caves any more. Already been there and done that waaaay enough over the years..

Now about being "shy," You say... Shucks man I'm an extrovert ! (So someone don't think that is something nasty) haha, it means Very out going and NOT shy !

I do, however, hold a certain reclusivness in life for (non-criminal) personal reasons. Ha. I try to keep the ranch as under wraps as i can, so the entire internet world ain't out on it. Got enough trouble with the illegals man ! ha.

As far as the "wimmins," or (women's) goes, yeh, a handsome Hombre like me 'has to be aweful careful amigo' !

Stay safe, and you keep up those good elk hunts and stories... I have not got to go in a few years. But it's comin soon. I hope "one more' with recurve bow before my time is up on this earth. I believe God will give me that too.

Bless ya !

CanyonMan

Old 04-01-2013, 18:52   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Thanks for the pictures. They are fascinating.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 18:59   #13
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Hey thanks pard. Yeh we're somewhere out here in W. Texas.... Ha.

Now about being "shy," You say... Shucks man I'm an extrovert ! (So someone don't think that is something nasty) haha, it means Very out going and NOT shy !

As far as the "wimmins," or (women's) goes, yeh, a handsome Hombre like me 'has to be aweful careful amigo' !

Stay safe, and you keep up those good elk hunts and stories... I have not got to go in a few years. But it's comin soon. I hope "one more' with recurve bow before my time is up on this earth. I believe God will give me that too.

Bless ya !

CanyonMan
I'm sure you do!

You ever get up this way, we'll have a GT get together for you!

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 19:28   #14
jtull7
Pistolero

I would guess, canyonman, that your place is in the Texas Panhandle, although you give no clue. Probably on the Canadian Breaks.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 21:27   #15
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I'm sure you do!

You ever get up this way, we'll have a GT get together for you!

Hey Hummer, I got friends and realitives all up in N. N.M. and on up into S.W. Colo, and on into N. and N.W. Colo.

Soo, You bet. Next time I know I am headin up that way I will surely Give ya a shout. It would be really great to meet ya and swap some hunting stories. Might bring the fly rod as well...

Thanks Hummer, I really appreciate the invite amigo.

I return that, with an invite 'Here,' to put a Rio Grande right in your lap ! In fact their out back Gobbling every morning now in about all the canyon fingers. You can here them close, and far...

Lord willing, I look forward to meeting with ya pard.

Stay safe !

CanyonMan

Old 04-01-2013, 21:32   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
I would guess, canyonman, that your place is in the Texas Panhandle, although you give no clue. Probably on the Canadian Breaks.

No sir, not even remotely close !

Although our Oklahoma ranch is in N.W. Oklahoma, and not but a 'spit' from the Texas border. In fact, it is on the Tex, Colo, Ks, N.M. Borders.

But this Texas Ranch is in W. Texas In 'two places.'

Nice try, but no cigar. ha.

Stay safe..

CanyonMan

Old 04-01-2013, 21:45   #17
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Thanks for the pictures. They are fascinating.

Thank you, and you are most welcome. I kinda hoped they (the pics) would be a bit interesting, and things were moving slow over here on 'this forum', and I had some time, which I "Never have," so I thought I'd jump on board a while...

Be careful out there !

CanyonMan

Old 04-18-2013, 23:25   #18
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Darn cool pics, Amigo. Thanks for sharing.

I came across a rattler once here hiking. Just tossed him with my walking stick. I've seen some pics of the nests you have and I guarantee I'd be wearing leg armor on your land. I wouldn't call it phobia, but hearing the noise hits something buried deep in my brain stem. Yeeeesh.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:56   #19
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Darn cool pics, Amigo. Thanks for sharing.
I came across a rattler once here hiking. Just tossed him with my walking stick. I've seen some pics of the nests you have and I guarantee I'd be wearing leg armor on your land. I wouldn't call it phobia, but hearing the noise hits something buried deep in my brain stem. Yeeeesh.

Thanks man, and yes, we got a ton of dens and twice that on the rattlers.. Their coming out now this time of month...

Yeh, those that do come hear to vist, and are not used to this 'type country,' all ask for leggins... haha.

And for lunch ! Rattler and Beans and Habenero's ! Ha !

Good hunting my friend !

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 04-19-2013 at 13:57..
Old 04-19-2013, 14:20   #20
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Just waiting on the invitation.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote