Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 17:34   #1
Scott30

Night Sight Color for Aging Eyes

I am looking at the Ameriglo I Dot Pro night sights and am wondering whether the green/green or yellow/green combo are the easiest to pick up at night. I know that green is brighter to the eye but the contrast in colors might make it less confusing in darkness as to what is front and rear.

Anyone with experience care to chime in?
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 17:37   #2
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I use Mepros, with a green front and orange rear. Very easy to use, IMO.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 19:00   #3
incorrigible

I'm 50+ with bad eyes. I got the Truglo TFO night sights (Fiber optic also) and I find they help me a lot.

Edit: Green front and back.

Last edited by incorrigible; 03-27-2013 at 19:00..
incorrigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 19:11   #4
oliverclotheshoff

[url]http://www.armedbadger.com/viewtopic.php?p=31279#p31279[/url]

these are the sights i put on my glock they are ameriglo ghost ring sights and i love them there is also sights called hexsight they are hex shaped instead of round

Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 03-27-2013 at 19:12..
oliverclotheshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 21:02   #5
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I put Ameriglo iDot pros on my 19 and really like them. Single dot outlined in orange on the front sight , single dot on centered rear sight. Wasn't looking for night sights, just fast acquisition day sights. They were less the most other sights, do what I want during the day, the night sight is a bonus.

With 60 year old eyes the far sight is sharp, near night blurred. easy to use.

There are so many sight options available, peoples eyes and preferences are different. I spent a year haunting the LGS and everybody at the range trying sights, plus the wisdom og GT. Suggest you do the same to avoid an expensive mistake.

Last edited by Paul53; 03-27-2013 at 21:03..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05   #6
jmb79

My father, aged 75, shoots his G17 like a champ. As he eyesight started to degrade, he switched to an XS Big Dot front sight and a 10-8 Performance .158" rear sight. The wide opening on the rear sight is a perfect match for the Big Dot up front. He is now shooting better than he did 10 years ago.
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:14   #7
Firecop203

I like a big bright orange dot on the front. I stick with the white outline stock Glock rear. My goal is fast acquisition and hits, not precision.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19   #8
basicblues

I've got one pistol set up with a single front fiber optic sight with a totally blacked out rear sight. Not all my guns are set up in such manner but I do think it helps focus more on just the front sight.
basicblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18   #9
wacopolumbo

I use the Ameriglo Proglo (square one) on the front sight. Very easy to pick up. Then I use regular night sights on the rears. You have me thinking of going with yellow ameriglo rears now though. That would be a great set up. Proglo orange out line green tritium up front with yello tritium rears...

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35   #10
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I use green/green and here's why. I used to buy yellow/green thinking the contrast would help, but really it doesn't. There really is no confusion as to which is front or rear, or in the case of a three dot setup, which is the middle simply because if you're holding the pistol like you normally do, you'll never have an issue. In other words, you have to be holding it obviously wrong in order to have the sights not properly lined up, and you'll know it too, it isn't easy to hold it that wrong. Yellow or orange fade a LOT faster than green as well so the service life will be shorter.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13   #11
LuckyG

Depends on what your vision problem is. Some are nearsighted, some are farsighted, some just need reading glasses. Along with those variables, some have verying degrees of glaucoma, some have cataracts. You can't just take another old guys recommendations. Oh, and some are color blind or have compromised color recognition with certain colors. See your eye doctor and experiment with some stuff yourself. You can use the opinions on the forum for ideas, but you can't get a definitive answer to your question from "I like x" posts. No offense to anybody her, but those are the facts.

I'm 70 years old and have been shooting for 50 years. For myself, I'm near sighted, wear bifocals and have mild glaucoma. If I use three dot nights sights I see SIX dots in very low light conditions. All of my sights are plain black rear. With night sights, I prefer them on the front only. In dim light at normal civilian defensive distances, I'm just sticking the front sight on the target anyway.

With plain rear sights, I don't think it makes any difference what the color is, since the front sight is just a general reference point. If you are staring intently on your super bright colored front sight instead of the barely visible attacker, you have more of a problem than which color to use.

I think in some cases, there is too much emphasis on equipment rather than technique. For defensive purposes, you should have established the ability to properly index the gun in fast defensive drills. Use of a flash sight picture is the goal. Precision shooting skill is OK too, but the odds are the flash sight picture or just indexing skill is what you will use in low light.

My defensive shooting group will occasionally shoot in near pitch blackness. At seven yards you can get good hits, even without night sights - if you have good indexing. After the first shot you can't see the glow of the sight anyway and are silhoutting the sights on the target. If your range allows it, try it sometime.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I can say what my own experiences have been. Take it or leave it.
LuckyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07   #12
1canvas

I have aging eyes and the Big Dot 24/7 on my 23 and 27 has worked great day or night. with a couple of new guns I'm looking around to see if thats what I want. for just defense I think they are the best but I would like something that would work a little better on the range also. I'll watch this thread.

Last edited by 1canvas; 04-20-2013 at 10:08..
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33   #13
grecco

Try the ameriglo hackathorn green, they are very good.
They have become my favorite sight.
The wide all black rear and large brite front sight , is very
Easy to pick up.
Old 04-20-2013, 15:42   #14
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Green for the front, it is the brightest color
Yellow for the rear
Old 04-20-2013, 17:45   #15
1canvas

I seen a set of Trijicon HD with an orange front sight on a gun at a gun shop today that looked great. I'll probably try them on my new sig.