Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:13   #1
Doc McGlock

How does one become a gunsmith?

I'm a dentist and have very good eye/hand coordination. I can think in 3D and absolutely love guns. I am totally fascinated with the mechanics of guns and am looking for something rewarding to do in my later years. Seeing how I am nearly 60, I need to step up the learning curve and can't spend 20 years as an apprentice, which ultimately might have beeen the best route.

I learn quickly and am interested in what it takes to become a gunsmith. Can anyone steer me in the direction of publications to getting started in this field as I believe it will become a much sought after service with the millions of new gun owners coming on board.

Any information about this field and directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Last edited by Doc McGlock; 04-20-2013 at 11:15.. Reason: added more
Doc McGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27   #2
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Outside of the FFL/business license/zoning issues, there are some schools. I don't recall their names, but I believe there is one in central PA that has a good reputation.

Retiring from small business ownership to become a small business owner? You're a glutton for punishment!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:54   #3
Batesmotel

Just my opinion. Some guys here agree with me, most do not.

A true gunsmith is a master machinist who specializes in working on firearms. Many guys who claim to be gunsmiths are just technicians replacing parts.

If you want to make a living at gunsmithing, first become a machinist and spend the years becoming a master and expert at gunsmithing.
Old 04-20-2013, 22:31   #4
Doc McGlock

Bates,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sure you are totally right, however I am also sure that there are many levels that one can climb to without violating the definition. Becoming a machinist might be a great goal! Thanks for that idea!

Realistically, I am too old to expect to become a master, but I believe that I could achieve some proficiency at repairing and restoring firearms. I'm thinking that the majority of work could be learned fairly quickly but I do totally understand that experience speaks volumes!

I'm just looking for some direction from those that have been there/done that. I'm not looking for reasons as to why I shouldn't pursue this course. My best accomplishments have come from being told that I couldn't or shouldn't do something! It's not about the money but rather a passion!

I can do dentistry in my sleep!

Thanks again

Doc
Old 04-20-2013, 22:39   #5
CitizenOfDreams

From what I gathered here, all you need is to buy a Dremel and watch a couple of YouTube videos.

CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 22:40   #6
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Outside of the FFL/business license/zoning issues, there are some schools. I don't recall their names, but I believe there is one in central PA that has a good reputation.

Retiring from small business ownership to become a small business owner? You're a glutton for punishment!
Breadman,

I'm originally from Uniontown, Pa and used to play music in a community called Luzerne, Pa? It was a long time ago and might have my communities mixed up, but there used to be a 4th of July band concert in the town square with musicians coming in from all over SW Pa and playing. Then they had one of the best fireworks displays that you could ever imagine! Might be Luzerne Township but I would love a yea or nay if I am correct!

Some of my earliest memories!

Doc

Last edited by Doc McGlock; 04-20-2013 at 22:46..
Old 04-20-2013, 22:45   #7
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
From what I gathered here, all you need is to buy a Dremel and watch a couple of YouTube videos.
Not my style! I want to learn and I want to do it right! Fixing someone's weapon is far too serious to take such a cavalier attitude towards but thanks!

Somehow I think you are posting "tongue in cheek!"

Doc

Last edited by Doc McGlock; 04-20-2013 at 22:48.. Reason: None, guilty, praying not to get sent to detention.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05   #8
Breadman03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McGlock View Post
Breadman,

I'm originally from Uniontown, Pa and used to play music in a community called Luzerne, Pa? It was a long time ago and might have my communities mixed up, but there used to be a 4th of July band concert in the town square with musicians coming in from all over SW Pa and playing. Then they had one of the best fireworks displays that you could ever imagine! Might be Luzerne Township but I would love a yea or nay if I am correct!

Some of my earliest memories!

Doc
You might be thinking of this. Wilkes-Barre and Luzerne Township are one metro area in Northeastern PA. I've never been to it, but plan on going this year. The younger kids could never quite make it that late, but now they can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23   #9
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
You might be thinking of this. Wilkes-Barre and Luzerne Township are one metro area in Northeastern PA. I've never been to it, but plan on going this year. The younger kids could never quite make it that late, but now they can.
Bread,

Actually, the Luzerne Township I was referring to is in SW Pa in Fayetteville county. I'm guessing you are near the Wilkes-Barre area? My brother ans S-in-Law live in Mountaintop and work in W-B. beautiful country.

There is a GS program in Pgh, but do not have any online programs. Going to Pgh is out of the question!

Thanks again.

Doc
Old 04-22-2013, 14:15   #10
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I got my degree from WECSOG. (the Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39   #11
Breadman03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McGlock View Post
Bread,

Actually, the Luzerne Township I was referring to is in SW Pa in Fayetteville county. I'm guessing you are near the Wilkes-Barre area? My brother ans S-in-Law live in Mountaintop and work in W-B. beautiful country.

There is a GS program in Pgh, but do not have any online programs. Going to Pgh is out of the question!

Thanks again.

Doc
Yep. I live about 8 minutes from Mountaintop.

Wants a G41
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56   #12
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
I got my degree from WECSOG. (the Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing)
C&S,

Do you do standup too? I got my dental degree there too!