SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:38   #1
Merlin40
Merlin40

Kel-Tec PF-9

Hey, people. I just bought the wife a Kel-Tec PF-9. I've never owned one, but she will start CC in the near future. She fell in love with this gun the first time she held it. I'd welcome any comments from anyone who's owned one, or any comments based on first-hand experience. I'm NOT interested in comments from anyone with second-hand knowledge, i.e "I heard that", or "according to..." Just keep it real, and try not to bash. Thanks in advance.
Merlin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40   #2
WiskyT
Malcontent

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42   #3
arclight610

It's snappy. How does your wife handle recoil?
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50   #4
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I bought one last year after shooting my brother's PF9... loved it... bought another (so did my brother)... it is a primary CCW gun now. It retired one of my CCW guns altogether and is carried in many cases when I would carry my P32 as well.

I was not fond of the trigger at first, but nothing a little practice couldn't cure.

The recoil doesn't bother me, there are far worse guns out there, including the P3AT and the Ruger LCP. I am an experienced shooter though.

Super easy to conceal, and I am accurate with mine, and they have been 100% reliable for me. These are very good guns IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.

Last edited by RMTactical; 04-21-2013 at 10:00..
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58   #5
fgutie35

First off, congrats on the adquisition. First thing you want to do if you are mechanically inclined, is to dissasembled the entire pistol (specially the firing pin channel) and deburr and smooth all of the machine marks. Second, make sure you get a hogue grip or piece of little bycicle tubing like I did cause the SD loads are going to be brutal on the hand. Have her shoot with practice (full metal jacket) rounds first, cause they have a milder recoil, so she wont get scared or discouraged.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22   #6
Merlin40
Merlin40

Thanks for the input. And she has not fired it, as yet. I did mention to her, that she might find it a little "snappy". OK....I'll tell the whole truth....LOL I was looking for another gun for myself. She did like the feel of it, however. If she finds it too snappy for her......I can always keep it for myself, and look at maybe a .380 for her. (If anyone tells on me, I'm denying EVERYTHING)
Merlin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11   #7
Spiffums
I.C.P.

I like mine. I don't consider it a "shooter" but for a BUG or pocket carry on a really really hot day it's fine.
Old 04-21-2013, 13:24   #8
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I have one. It's reliable, accurate, thin, and light. It's not real fun to shoot more than a few mags through, recoil is a bit snappy and the trigger is somewhere in the neighborhood of eight miles long. It gets carried least out of everything in the rotation, but has found it's niche as my hiking gun, as it rides well in the front pocket of cargo pants or shorts. Someday I'd like to replace both it and my Sig P238 with a P938.

ETA: My wife, who is a relatively new handgun shooter, has no problems running a few mags through it, though she vastly prefers any of my other handguns (including the 8 3/8" .44mag).
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 13:38   #9
wlkjr

I had one and sold it because it didn't function very well. I was very disappointed because I loved the feel, the look, and the size. I hope yours is flawless as it is a nice little gun.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 14:09   #10
btaylor

Mine has performed flawlessly for over three years now. Teach her to always have a nice firm grip and a stiff wrist. And like others have said it will punish your hand after about 50 rounds so it's not a great range gun. Pick up an extra magazine and carry it. Oh, I found the little curved magazine extension peice made it a bunch easier to keep a firm grip on it than the flat magazine base plate.
Old 04-21-2013, 14:18   #11
JayAK

I own both the pf9 and the p3at. I find the pf9 snappy, but less so than the p3at. I carry both of them often. I think you will enjoy it. It is very slim and easy to carry. It's not a range gun, but mine does its job well.
Rimfire Club Member # 1980.....Smith & Wesson Club #1980
Sig Sauer Club Member # 1980
NRA Life Member & I.S.R.A
JayAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 16:39   #12
diode

Keltec slide rails need to be lubed with Super Lube grease and with a fluff and buff. Go to the Keltec forum for the best info on this wonderful little pocket rocket. jb
Old 04-21-2013, 17:49   #13
JackMac

I have had a PF9 for over three years and found it to be a great pocket gun. I agree one should start with FMJ if you are new to the gun or any gun for that matter as the recoil from a full house 9 mm +p may be too much to begin with. Have not had function issues or reliability issues with mine at all. She'll love it I'd bet. Have fun with it and be careful.
Old 04-21-2013, 18:33   #14
mikegun

Hi, I use my pf9 as a bu gun with laser, I have had no problems with it...let me suggest you don't mention recoil at all to your wife,you don't want her thinking her hand will blow up....also put a Hogue sleve or a tire tube on the pf9 prior to her shooting, as it is a hand banger....good luck
Old 04-21-2013, 19:16   #15
Ceapea

My sister has one. She is not a big fan of it. Her husband mostly carries it now. I have shot it a few times, I like it. I was pretty much done with it for the day after 40 or so rounds. It starts to be too much in a short time. I have considered getting one myself, just haven't done it yet.

Last edited by Ceapea; 04-21-2013 at 19:17..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 19:50   #16
rwschill

Kt pf9

Snappy recoil, but probably the flatest smallest 9MM pistol that you can buy. Mine is very reliable. They seem to be hard to find now.
rwschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 19:58   #17
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

I have one, grey w/ blue slide

Santa brought it for Christmas!

It is a comfy gun for carrying, abd conceals quite nicely.
I ran 100 rounds of FMJ and SD ammo through it to test it out and it was flawless; however, for the first time shooting a handgun, my hand hurt, especially the web between the thumb and index.
I carry it for the hope of not using it, and will limit the round count through it. Since I only have 3 mags, I cant see shooting more than 22 times I have available anyway.
I carry it in a Desantis holster for pocket carry and mostly in a KingTuk(the model for the 3" 1911 works perfectly) and it is quite easy to carry and conceal.
Old 04-21-2013, 22:28   #18
blastfact

I like mine a lot. I have over 7k rounds through it. 6k+ are my own reloads. The rest junk retail crap trying to reproduce issue others have had with them. My reloads at max book or better. Mostly XTP's with some Gold Dots.

At 5k rounds I did get a crack in the slide at the slide hold back notch. I called KT. Stripped the slide down to bare and mailed it back. Six weeks later a new fully dressed out slide arrived less barrel. I have also went through 4 guide rods and springs. One extractor spring and firing pen screw. I just put in it's first Trigger Spring a few weeks ago. Started getting light strikes.

I did do a basic clean up and polish on a few things when I first got it. I use a light coat of M1 Grease on the rails with a drop of 0-20 M1 oil in the top of the slide. All the pins still hold the frame in the grip like new.

I refer to the pistol as Thors Hammer. Yeah it's snappy, it can put a sting on your hand if your not doing things right. And a PF-9 can be limp wrested. All the function issues I've ever seen with PF-9's have been shooter induced.

I like my PF-9 a lot. The only thing out there that would replace it would be a Shield 9mm. And at this point in time I will not pay 2.5 times what I paid for my PF-9 to replace it.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52   #19
failsafe

I've had mine for years..The only thing I have done to mine is put a Hogue Hand all grip..( there are 2 sizes, the PF0 uses the "junior" size..Some will turn the hand all upside down..
How does she plan on carrying it "..There is no safety, I recommend she carry it with the trigger covered by a holster of sorts...
Old 04-22-2013, 14:32   #20
lilysdad

Hi have had one for about 3 years now and up until a few months ago is was my main CC gun. It is not that much fun to shoot, it's got a pretty sharp recoil, but it is so thin and light, that it's worth it. (you stillneed to shoot it often if that is what you are going to carry) I carried it in a Comp-Tac Minotaur and it all but disappeared. The only mod I made on mine was an inner tube grip cover. I never did a fluff and buff and have never had the firing pin etc out. Mine was picky on ammo, but once I found what it liked (mine liked Hornady 115grn XTP and it never had a problem with Federal Wal Mart stuff) I put 100's of flawless rounds through it. I hand load now and the OAL has to be pretty short, but once I dialed that in, I have not had a problem. Try out different ammo and find something it likes. It's a good gun, I think your wife should be happy.
lilysdad is offline   Reply With Quote