GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:35   #1
skier92857

Hey guys, cheesy holster questions here...

Hey all, I'm coming to you for some help seeing as how we're all brothers (and sisters) based on the 10mm bond (I told you it would be cheesy!). Seems like I would get less snark and more help in the somewhat slower paced club-specific forum as opposed to general glocking.

I need a kydex holster for my stock gen 3 g20sf. Specifically light compatable for the tlr-1 hl I have on the way. I know this is a worn out topic but honestly, I'm an 18 credit semester hour college student/full time night employee/husband to one who genuinely does not have the time (or skill it seems) to google for every last answer. I am planning for a nice little camping trip with the wifey as soon as finals are done here in a few weeks...hence my questions.

Primarily OWB although I like the modularity of the Ravens. Does cant matter? Is Raven really on a 4.5 month backorder? Is there a cheaper faster forum-sponsored alternative? Beware of imitators right? Can I automatically assume proper fit and finish if the holsters are described for g21sf and tlr-1? I'll post more as I think of them, but I humbly appreciate the answers in advance. And I'm sorry for posting on such a well worn topic. In other news, I have only shot a couple of times since the semester started and....dammm...when did Underwood sell out of everything!!!! I need some 200gr XTPs man!
skier92857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 19:44   #2
VA Swamphunter
Old Mud Diver

Blackhawk CQC Serpa. This is strictly a OWB holster. Midway USA has them for $31.99.
I have one for my Gen 3 G20. It must be ordered model specific. Lots of folks don't care for the finger release; however it doesn't bother me. Hope this helps.
VA Swamphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 21:08   #3
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Swamphunter View Post
Blackhawk CQC Serpa. This is strictly a OWB holster. Midway USA has them for $31.99.
I have one for my Gen 3 G20. It must be ordered model specific. Lots of folks don't care for the finger release; however it doesn't bother me. Hope this helps.
I second that for the money. I have 2 (G-22, 1911) I am going to pick one up for my 20sf shortly.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:26   #4
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Bladetech
The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57   #5
skier92857

That blade tech looks good! Nice gen 4 g20 too.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35   #6
skier92857

I know this is one of the least sexy and most tired subjects on here, but I thought I would post an update. I ended up having to do a shartload of research anyways to find a holster that looked good to me, which meant I had to wait till finals were done. I just ordered a X-concealment M series MOD II compact light compatible kydex holster. For those that are interested I can always post up a couple of pics and a little review perhaps. Thanks everyone again for the help (I got a couple of PMs as well).

Last edited by skier92857; 05-07-2013 at 11:35..
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19   #7
skier92857

Update - Holster quality looks excellent, its really sharp looking and finish is great, very thick kydex that feels sturdy and durable. It was in hand exactly 7 days from when I ordered it (well within their guaranteed turnaround time) and they still honor the GT discount - 69.XX shipped.

It sits really comfortably high and tight OWB on a 1.5in regular leather belt. It came from X-concealment wayyyy too tight, although now over the last couple of days it has not worried me as much as it did originally. The light specifically on my gun was rubbing and was found to be the "retention point culprit." I actually just let it sit in the holster for a couple of days as I was too busy to mess with it and this helped enough to loosen the holster a tiny bit. I will be taking a hair dryer to it later today and will update again, but I thought that everything so far would be worth mentioning.

Also worth mentioning is my satisfaction with the customer service at x-concealment. I did send a note to them through the website asking for explicit confirmation that the gun/light combo would be doable, but ended up ordering anyway without any response. Other than that snafu, they responded in a couple hours after my first round of emailing regarding the holsters tightness, (they suggested gun oil, which did not help although they offered from the beginning a replacement if I needed it, so I've been worry free) which has made me much more at ease.

Once the fit gets dialed in, I think this holster will be exactly what I am looking for. I am happy with it otherwise. Once I get the fit just right I will come back and give my official recommendation.
Old 05-16-2013, 13:59   #8
skier92857

4 layers of painters tape and 1 minute with a hair dryer, 5 minutes in the fridge and a few presentations the holster is sweeeettttt.

The holster is awesome now after a little tweaking.
Old 05-16-2013, 14:40   #9
Alcoy

Good to hear a happy ending...
Alcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 18:12   #10
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Send a message via AIM to s0nspark Send a message via Skype™ to s0nspark
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier92857 View Post
Hey all, I'm coming to you for some help seeing as how we're all brothers (and sisters) based on the 10mm bond (I told you it would be cheesy!). Seems like I would get less snark and more help in the somewhat slower paced club-specific forum as opposed to general glocking.

I need a kydex holster for my stock gen 3 g20sf. Specifically light compatable for the tlr-1 hl I have on the way. I know this is a worn out topic but honestly, I'm an 18 credit semester hour college student/full time night employee/husband to one who genuinely does not have the time (or skill it seems) to google for every last answer. I am planning for a nice little camping trip with the wifey as soon as finals are done here in a few weeks...hence my questions.

Primarily OWB although I like the modularity of the Ravens. Does cant matter? Is Raven really on a 4.5 month backorder? Is there a cheaper faster forum-sponsored alternative? Beware of imitators right? Can I automatically assume proper fit and finish if the holsters are described for g21sf and tlr-1? I'll post more as I think of them, but I humbly appreciate the answers in advance. And I'm sorry for posting on such a well worn topic. In other news, I have only shot a couple of times since the semester started and....dammm...when did Underwood sell out of everything!!!! I need some 200gr XTPs man!

Ok, I am with you... I can't stand the quick and easy solutions though. They just do not do it for me...

I would suggest something like JM Custom Kydex if you cannot wait for Raven Concealment...
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23   #11
Andrew Wiggin

Quality stuff here: http://www.tcbfirearms.com/index.html

Jason is a great guy and will work with you to get you EXACTLY what you want. He made the holster for my Witness.

The 10 Ring

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:37   #12
pasky2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier92857 View Post
4 layers of painters tape and 1 minute with a hair dryer, 5 minutes in the fridge and a few presentations the holster is sweeeettttt.

The holster is awesome now after a little tweaking.
Finding that 'right' holster for your need is a challenge if you don't have anyone to craft one for you specifically so I'm glad to see yours work out so well. I'd love to see some pics...
Some places I shoot, including my home range, do not allow serpa holsters d/t AD risk, appearantly. The following should be a link to youtube show an example of this from a humble...and possibly high...shooter.

That index finger should remain straight...neither the holster nor any other factor should even come into the mix.

Cheers and happy shooting!
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"

Last edited by pasky2112; 05-18-2013 at 21:49.. Reason: yes
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:12   #13
Andrew Wiggin

I don't believe that Serpa holsters present any greater risk of NEGLIGENT discharge than other holsters. The problem, as you alluded to, is the fact that some people just can't seem to keep their booger hooker off the bullet lever. The claim that the Serpa is somehow responsible is difficult to believe because the activation button is placed over the area on the pistol that your finger SHOULD be indexed. The button is NOT over the trigger. To manage a negligent discharge on the draw, you would have to press the button and then move your finger into the trigger guard.

I believe that what's actually happening is some hard headed students fail to listen to the instructors' advice that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Rather than work on developing a correct presentation and allowing speed to come naturally, they are desperately yanking their smokewagon out in an attempt to "beat" the other students. Serpa doesn't play nicely with this; it requires a very deliberate draw stroke. If there is any upward tension on the gun, it is very difficult to depress the release button so some folks might yank at the pistol and stab at the button until it finally comes free in a horrible, awkward grip and the spasmodic stabbing of the finger continues for a moment. Stupid hurts.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 16:30   #14
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasky2112 View Post
why lions eat their young...

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

Last edited by R0CKETMAN; 05-19-2013 at 16:33..
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:10   #15
pasky2112

..lions eat thier young...

... you get it.
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote