SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:29   #161
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
Police arresting elementary students for violation of "Zero Tolerance" policies, like drawing stick figures...

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-arvada...,7099823.story
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15...est=latestnews
Quote:
BURLINGTON, Colo. -- Documents released Monday in the case of a 12-year-old Colorado boy accused of fatally shooting his parents and wounding two siblings show prosecutors filed nine charges against him, including two counts of first-degree murder.
The documents released by a judge at the request of prosecutors also offer new details from investigators alleging the boy tried to hurt his 5-year-old sister with a knife and stabbed and shot his 9-year-old brother. The Denver Post and KUSA-TV report that the documents were released after a closed court hearing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15...#ixzz1GgbTKJBP
Now, of course this 12 year old was home schooled, so there is no way to know if he exhibited any behavior that would have predicted to teachers and administrators the pending violence had he been in a public school.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 03-15-2011 at 10:30..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 20:32   #162
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Send a message via AIM to RickD

I come back from vacation and find the status quo. I'd hoped for better, although I didn't really expect it.

In the end, no answer after all this time (yeah, I re-read Post #5... what sentence contained the "answer"? The one that wants us to believe that a lawyer's common advice not talk to LEO?). Meh.

So, as far as TBO's post is concerned, "anti-authority" has no deep contextual meaning, and is meant only to taunt and to suppress argumentation (like calling someone a racist, or, heck, anti-healthcare, for that matter). So I'll exercise my right not to take offense to his emptiness.

Last edited by RickD; 03-19-2011 at 20:34..
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 20:47   #163
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
I come back from vacation and find the status quo. I'd hoped for better, although I didn't really expect it.

In the end, no answer after all this time (yeah, I re-read Post #5... what sentence contained the "answer"? The one that wants us to believe that a lawyer's common advice not talk to LEO?). Meh.

So, as far as TBO's post is concerned, "anti-authority" has no deep contextual meaning, and is meant only to taunt and to suppress argumentation (like calling someone a racist, or, heck, anti-healthcare, for that matter). So I'll exercise my right not to take offense to his emptiness.
I believe Sam's previous post is appropriate here, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Sorry, Rick, I don't think you're discussing this in good faith. You've been given answers and dismiss them summarily, with no attempt to explore what's involved. You set and insist on standards, using words you refuse to define. Until you change some of this, there's no way I can add to a conversation with you.

Old 03-19-2011, 21:46   #164
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

What am I rebelling against?

Whaddya got?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NkkAQllfo&NR=1

NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 17:44   #165
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Send a message via AIM to RickD

The answer, dear NCL, is in Post #5, eh, somewhere. Not sure what sentence brings it altogether, but I hear tell that a golden nugget of truth (all caps) exists in the dark regions of that brave post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade
Sorry, Rick, I don't think you're discussing this in good faith. You've been given answers and dismiss them summarily, with no attempt to explore what's involved.
Quote:
summarily
–adverb
in a prompt or direct manner; immediately; straightaway.
Well, I am both prompt and direct. However, I do explore. For example, I mentioned that what was being described as "anti-authority" is the common practice of defense attorneys. Seems odd for him to become angry when a person takes the time-proven advice of someone who graduated from law school and passed their state Bar exam.

Last edited by RickD; 03-21-2011 at 22:43..
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 15:53   #166
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Here is post #5

Quote:
Kinda a complicated question; lots of facets to the same issue, not all of which connect to each other.

In very, very broad terms, authority is what imposes order in a community. That can be parental authority in a family or legal authority in society. A segment of the community chafes under that, wholly happy to cause friction--loss of order--for others as long as they get their way. You might remember the recent WI thread: when the protesters were told, "go ahead and stay" some left. They didn't want to stay in the Capitol as much as they wanted to disrupt order and tranquility. Yet the balance between order and freedom is vital to the health of a society. (Read that last again; the whole "balance" thing is key to my views and this discussion.)

Cops see this every day. They are the visible manifestation of the state's authority and they bear the brunt of the juvenile "what about meeeee" rants. We're the ones telling you to turn down the music, the street is closed, those guys have a right to protest, you've had too much to drink---tons of stuff where you don't get it your way because society has a voice, too.

Remember our thread "Reason on consent searches"? The people, including you, who wanted to curtail LE authority (ability is a better word) to ask permission to search people's stuff? Classic example of what we're discussing here. Another example is the myriad of the "Don't ever talk to the police" threads: obstruction for the sake of obstruction, rationalized as exercising rights. Same thing with the dozens of posters in CI who won't respect a property owner's authority to ban guns because the sign wasn't just so, or they weren't told or concealed means concealed: pure rationalization of their disregard for authority in favor of their personal desires.

I now await the accusations of statism, sure to come from those who don't understand the two-sided nature of any contract, including social contracts. Or maybe they skipped over the part where I said how important balance is.
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 17:52   #167
OldCurlyWolf

Quote:
So is it your assertion that there isn't a streak of anti-authoritarianism to be found on these boards? Or are you just asking what constitutes that streak?
There is a streak of anti-authoritarianism in the majority of the progeny of those who came to this country to get away from it in other countries. That makes it in a majority of the population.

Me included. I am a LAC, but don't mess with me. I have no problem talking to the LEO's when I have something pertinent to say, but don't start questioning me for no legal or apparent reason. If I am not in custody and one starts that I will just walk away. If one lays hands on me without justification, look for assault charges. I am not out there crossing the line, don't cross mine.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)
OldCurlyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:21   #168
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
There is a streak of anti-authoritarianism in the majority of the progeny of those who came to this country to get away from it in other countries. That makes it in a majority of the population.

Me included. I am a LAC, but don't mess with me. I have no problem talking to the LEO's when I have something pertinent to say, but don't start questioning me for no legal or apparent reason. If I am not in custody and one starts that I will just walk away. If one lays hands on me without justification, look for assault charges. I am not out there crossing the line, don't cross mine.
Hoven't you learned yet? Sit down. Shut up. Do as you are told. We won't have any problems then.

-Dana
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37   #169
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

All things, in balance.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54   #170
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
All things, in balance.
Isn't that the question? Where is the balance point between indivual liberties and society's interets?

-Dana

Last edited by DanaT; 04-25-2011 at 08:58..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 19:11   #171
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

In the courts.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35   #172
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

http://www.cscja-acjcs.ca/role_of_courts-en.asp?l=4
Old 02-06-2013, 21:46   #173
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

http://www.cscja-acjcs.ca/sources_of_law-en.asp?l=4
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21   #174
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

never been to civil liberties . not much here

Last edited by *ASH*; 02-08-2013 at 04:42..
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22   #175
RussP

Might be a good time to reintroduce this thread...

Some in current threads didn't participate when this first came out...

Old 08-02-2014, 01:31   #176
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

It's a new year.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:08   #177
RussP

Yes, it is!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10   #178
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
In the courts.
Interesting. In the cop section there is a thread about a cop complaining about his car being searched for a weapon when he and his family wanted to pass the border into Canada. There were a lot of posters talking about how wrong that was. Would that be considered anti-authority, even though the Canadian customs officials felt completely justified in their suspicion?
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 14:37   #179
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Depends on the content of the post(s).
As for individuals, post history can often be self defining.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk

Last edited by TBO; 08-03-2014 at 14:58..
Old 08-03-2014, 18:51   #180
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Interesting. In the cop section there is a thread about a cop complaining about his car being searched for a weapon when he and his family wanted to pass the border into Canada. There were a lot of posters talking about how wrong that was. Would that be considered anti-authority, even though the Canadian customs officials felt completely justified in their suspicion?

Anti-authority regarding Canadian laws? Come to Toronto or Patchmanabad and throw your "I'm an American. I have rights" around.

Even North Korea might have gotten this right!

This is how the "Ugly American" started.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-03-2014 at 18:58..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote