SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2013, 13:59   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

Thermolds?

Ok, I know Thermold aka Thermelts are supposed to suck. Be that as it may I have half a dozen of the 20 rounders and a two pairs of 10 rounders which I have been using as range mags for over a year (I like the shorter mags) and never had a problem with them. I now have access to the 30 round version at a dirt cheap price and was wondering if anyone has heard of any testing of them? These are new made in the US by Master Molder or Mold Master or something like that and not the old Canadian version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 04-26-2013 at 14:25..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 14:17   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I can not quantify this statement 1st hand, but,......

A friend bought some of the new Thermolds & he says they are good to go.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 14:28   #3
mac66
Plant the seed

Ok, been doing some research. Apparently the US made Thermolds are good to go and at $9/per for 30 rounders I jumped for 10. This is the only purchase I've made of any gun related stuff since the panic. I really haven't need anything, guns, parts or ammo and don't really need these but can't afford not to stock up at these prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 04-26-2013 at 14:29..
Old 04-26-2013, 15:20   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Do us a favor and follow up with a review when you get these
Old 04-26-2013, 16:00   #5
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Do us a favor and follow up with a review when you get these
okey dokey

Old 04-26-2013, 22:24   #6
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Thermold 30's are just fine.. I used them all through the 90's in my AR and Mini-14 and still use them today. Do I have better mags now-a-days?...yes but 20 years ago, they were my primary mags and I didn't lose any sleep.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21   #7
ratf51

I bought a couple of 30 round Thermolds when I bought my first AR in '08. I didn't know anything about them at the time much less any other magazine types/brands available. Mine are U.S. made and have worked fine. But if I had to grab mags for an anticipated awkward social situation then I would go with my Pmags and USGIs. Thermolds just don't seem as sturdy as the Pmags. I bought a couple of 20 round Thermolds about a year later and had to return them, the feed lips were too wide apart and wouldn't hold the last couple of rounds, they would just pop right back out. At $9 a mag you did good, just check the feed lips.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 18:44   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

I got mine ordered and they quickly sold out.

I will say that based on my experience with the 10 & 20 round AR mags I bought 4 of their 20 round M1A mags last summer and used them in the fall in high power matches. They actually worked very well and have had no problems with them. The seem very slick almost self lubricating. Hope the 30s work out.

Old 04-27-2013, 19:31   #9
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Based on everything I have read I think the Thermolds are probably better than their reputation.

But I still don't think they are as good as the best mags. Those being Lancer L5 AWM, Magpul PMAG, USGI (actual USGI, especially NHMTG, also D&H and OKay), and maybe Troy Battlemag

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 20:55   #10
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Based on everything I have read I think the Thermolds are probably better than their reputation.

But I still don't think they are as good as the best mags. Those being Lancer L5 AWM, Magpul PMAG, USGI (actual USGI, especially NHMTG, also D&H and OKay), and maybe Troy Battlemag
Thermolds are certainly better than their current reputation but take it from someone who used the heck out of them all through the 90's.... Don't leave them loaded forever and don't drop them on their heads. Other than that, they have always functioned flawlessly for me.

Most of the people who sit in the forums hate'n on thermolds were probably 10 years old when the whole world was using them and doing just fine. As with everything, technology brings better things... usually. Nowadays I prefer PMAGS, H&K, USGI-30's and Colt 20's.

True, they are not as good as current mags like PMAG, USGI, Lancers and such but if you can get em at a good price, they are well worth it. Just use them within their limitations which I listed above.

Last edited by FireForged; 04-29-2013 at 21:01..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36   #11
mac66
Plant the seed

I got my 30 round Thermolds in yesterday. They look good, drop free from all my ARs. Haven't shot them yet but I have shot the 10 and 20 round Thermolds a lot. In fact I use the 20 rounders for just about everything. I really like the 20 rounders. Looking forward to using the 30s if ammo becomes more available. I have a good stash but don't want to use it up if I can't replace it anytime soon.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:39   #12
og23

The thermolds I have for my mini 14 work great

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Black Rifle Club #119
og23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47   #13
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

My father in law has some and I got to do some shooting with them last week. My thoughts:

1) Oh, my Lord, are these cheap-o.
2) They ran ok. The few hiccups we had I would attribute to the crappy remanufactured ammo he was running (round cleared the mag, but didn't chamber).

Personally, I'm not interested in them. If I only had a few good mags and couldn't find any others, I'd be ok picking up a few for range time.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56   #14
dkf

Hitler is not a fan of Thermolds.

Last edited by dkf; 05-03-2013 at 11:56..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:04   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Black Rifle Forum
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:56   #16
mac66
Plant the seed

I bet more people would like them if they had a cool designer letter name like ZMags, or OMags or QMags.

Old 05-03-2013, 20:50   #17
Cole125
Silver Membership

If they are just range mags, who cares who makes them as long as they work.

If its a HD/LEO rifle, get P mags or quality GI style mags.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 21:06   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
If they are just range mags, who cares who makes them as long as they work.

If its a HD/LEO rifle, get P mags or quality GI style mags.
Or Lancer L5 AWM...or maybe Troy Battlemags...or maybe HK mags, if the $ doesn't bother you.

But as to your question, even if they are 'just range mags' I, personally, still want them to be quality. I don't want to have ANY doubt that my firearm will function if I ever need it to. I don't want to practice or train with inferior ammunition or magazines and then play the "oh it was just the reloads, or the steel case ammo, or the crappy magazine, if I was using 'the good stuff' that malfunction wouldn't have happened" game. I just plain want it to work, all the time, every time. No excuses.

But that's just me, and what makes me comfortable/inspires confidence in my gear.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-03-2013 at 21:06..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I bet more people would like them if they had a cool designer letter name like ZMags, or OMags or QMags.
Doubtful,.......people remember failed products.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25   #20
riata2

Please go into detail as to how you tell the USA mag from other on these Thermolds. I have 4 30's and have used them sparenly as can't replace the ammo
Details on the difference or how you can tell USA made??
Bersa 380DT w/ CT laser
riata2 is offline   Reply With Quote