GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43   #41
wct097

I went the "safe" route myself, obviously. I built my virgin receiver into a pistol while waiting on the stamp and only upon getting the stamp back did I install a stock on that receiver.

I agree that it's better safe than sorry, but I'm still of the opinion (not betting my lack of a criminal record on it) that the concept of constructive possession of an AR15 SBR is a fairy tale. I'd be interested to find a case where someone was charged with that where there were not other circumstances (criminal took the illegal SBR apart).
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45   #42
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilglockboy View Post
So when my barrel gets shipped to me then I will just leave it at my friends house. I didn't know I could not own the barrel and not be able to assemble and still be breaking the law. Thanks for the heads up.
You are not ready to build an NFA item in truth. My best advice would be when it comes to NFA items, posting less and searching more for other who have posted similar questions as you is a REALLY good habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47   #43
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Also, there is a wealth of information in this thread and the entire NFA forum at m4carbine.net.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58   #44
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
So when my barrel gets shipped to me then I will just leave it at my friends house. I didn't know I could not own the barrel and not be able to assemble and still be breaking the law. Thanks for the heads up.
Watch out for the corn hole.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 13:43   #45
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
I went the "safe" route myself, obviously. I built my virgin receiver into a pistol while waiting on the stamp and only upon getting the stamp back did I install a stock on that receiver.

I agree that it's better safe than sorry, but I'm still of the opinion (not betting my lack of a criminal record on it) that the concept of constructive possession of an AR15 SBR is a fairy tale. I'd be interested to find a case where someone was charged with that where there were not other circumstances (criminal took the illegal SBR apart).
I kept my receiver stripped until my tax stamp arrived, then ordered my kit.
Old 04-30-2013, 14:29   #46
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i have been debating a SBR build for quite awhile now. heck, even a suppressor is on my wants list as far as the NFA goes. i just have a mixed feeling on them right now. i have one buddy who says he wouldnt go NFA if he had to do it over again because of the hassle of owning, transporting, paperwork, inability to sell easily, etc... i have another buddy who is infatuated with it and everything he owns is sbr and suppressed - which kind of defeats the SBR purpose but it would be much longer if not SBR'd.

that said, my biggest personal drawback is that i graduate college in a couple months and will be going where the work is. i hope to stay in the land of the free but if the money is right in a state that doesnt allow such items, then i would have a mess trying to sell or relocate to a family member and either way, its a waste to me at that point. i really dont think i would take a job in an area like that unless it was my only option but until i know better in a couple months, im holding off.

i would really like a super short blackout build. preferably a folding stock but thats hard to pull off on the AR15 platform with the buffer tube.
Old 04-30-2013, 18:12   #47
lilglockboy

Well I just contacted my friend who works at a gun store. And I am going to keep my lower at his shop until all my legal paperwork comes in. I also talked to a agent at NFA and he told me the same. Keep the lower at a friends house or my friends shop and wait until my stamp comes back. Thanks for everyone advice.
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 18:24   #48
vettely

Anybody got a line on a 10.5 upper, preferably LMT?
Can't seem to find any not sold out.
Old 04-30-2013, 18:28   #49
barth
six barrels

Although I have an AK rather than AR.
The SBR thingy is the same (and I've got 922r to boot).

My solution is a pistol with a two point sling.
You might be surprised at how accurate and easy to shoot they are.
Plus technically it's a pistol.
So you can forget all the legal bullsh1t.

I may still SBR my Suchka at some point.
But it's a blast to shoot just the way it is.

Last edited by barth; 04-30-2013 at 18:28..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 19:19   #50
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
Anybody got a line on a 10.5 upper, preferably LMT?
Can't seem to find any not sold out.
I've been waiting for 4 months for my 10.25" from J&T. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31   #51
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
Although I have an AK rather than AR.
The SBR thingy is the same (and I've got 922r to boot).

My solution is a pistol with a two point sling.
You might be surprised at how accurate and easy to shoot they are.
Plus technically it's a pistol.
So you can forget all the legal bullsh1t.

I may still SBR my Suchka at some point.
But it's a blast to shoot just the way it is.

Darn good plan..........that's what I did with my 9mm build

Black Rifle Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:43   #52
scottMO

Just build it. the PW and one time fee to build/make are fairly easy. Once a year, I file my 5320.20's for 2 other states that i travel to/shoot in, and send them in.
Once you shoot with a 10" or 11.5" barrel, its kinda hard to go back to a 16". For me, On an AR15, the balance/weight just feels so much better. For HK's and AK pistols, they are begging to be SBR'd..

some past and current fun guns/configurations(HK's and AK's not pictured):
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Big Dawg #21.
scottMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 22:07   #53
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Just put it all together without the stock attached. You can assemble an AR pistol (virgin or "pistol" lower receiver) with a carbine receiver extension without violating the law while your Form 1 clears.
Old 05-17-2013, 22:31   #54
eccho

Quote:
I have my paper work from the ATF to file a form 1 for my build. But everyone at work keeps insisting that I not do an SBR and just make the build using a 16" barrel. I am not going to break any laws! They keep saying that with everything going on with some of these states passing laws and the way our government is going, that if there were any kind of gun confiscation or the local authorities knocking on your door because of some lame ass medical excuse saying they need to take your weapons, that people with class 3 weapons will be the first to go. Whatever! What are your thoughts on doing an SBR or full 16" for plinking, having fun with friends, and just my toy?
If it were me and my broke self I don't know if I'd be that motivated for an SBR. It would have to be a short one, like 9 inches.

If you want a 14.5 inch barrel rock on, whatever floats your boat. But for me personally I don't think -2 inches is worth all the paperwork and waiting.

But I get the sense you're just turned on by the thought of an SBR... You're interested enough to bring it up at work evidently, so go for it.

You want a machine gun? That too. A suppressor? That too.

Set up an SBR'd machine gun with a suppressor and post pix.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 22:42   #55
boomhower

Unless you are going to add a can down the line SBR is a waste to me. Yes it's better for CGQ but no way in hell am I going to crank of a round from a 10" AR indoors without a can in a defensive scenario. Any firearm is bad, but an SBR without a can/ear protection is just asking for a bad day. That said, an SBR+can makes for an awesome HD combo. Yes, you would run the risk of losing it for a while to evidence but your alive and can hear so you got your monies worth, and you'll get it back.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14   #56
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
I really do not plan on going out of state with my rifle. Just having fun at my nearest outdoor range. I am just so twisted on what my co workers have been preaching and the f'ed up stories I have been reading about confiscating guns in NY and other places by the Feds and local authorities.
Listen and listen hard....it ain't going to happen! If you think the feds or locals are going to confiscate someones $2,000 rifle..they got another thing coming . Now times that by the millions of us that ain't gonna give them up. There would be civil unrest....Period.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 13:48   #57
lilglockboy

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. That's why I like comming here. I have decided to go the SBR route with an 11.5 noveske. I will post pics as soon as I get my stamp.
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:04   #58
wct097

Be aware that once you SBR a rifle, you'll have been bit by the bug and will then have an addiction to feed. I haven't even "finished" my SBR... still need an optic, and I'm already planning my next two.

1st: 8.2" 300BLK
2nd (planned): 12.5" 5.56 Kino
3rd (planned): 10.25" 9mm
Old 05-18-2013, 22:28   #59
scottMO

Very true. I'm right at 10 right now and always looking for the next one. ARs, Draco, mini Draco, aks-74u, m92, hk53, mp5, mp5k, reverse stretch. It never stops.
Big Dawg #21.
scottMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 22:41   #60
eccho

If anyone's still watching the thread, how bad is the velocity drop on a 5.56 SBR? My understanding is you "need" at least 2400 FPS for the round to be effective.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote