Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2013, 21:23   #21
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I am humbled before such great intellectual minds that are so smart that they can declare religion a rip off and a sham.

How can I become that smart?
Please teach me.
Simple. Realize that spirituality and belief in God are not bad things but that religion is.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:24   #22
Daltini

Quote:
I am humbled before such great intellectual minds that are so smart that they can declare religion a rip off and a sham.

How can I become that smart?
Please teach me.
It is simple, padawon. Go to the university and there will you see the graaave truth about religion from super smart professors with ideas.
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:27   #23
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltini View Post
It is simple, padawon. Go to the university and there will you see the graaave truth about religion from super smart professors with ideas.
History might be a good place to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:30   #24
Daltini

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
History might be a good place to start.

Of course it is. Why don't you point me in the right direction? lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 21:35   #25
NMG26

Quote:
Seems you got it figured out.

Everything has a spin.

Really I think the best answer to JB's question was given by juggy4711 "Simple. Realize that spirituality and belief in God are not bad things but that religion is".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-08-2013, 21:36   #26
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
I went to a christian university because I was a believer at the time. All of my professors were also believers including two that had their doctorates in divinity. I started the program as a christian and ended it as an atheist. After studying the bible in depth in an academic setting, there was no way I could still honestly defend the notion that it was inerrant.

Last edited by Geko45; 05-08-2013 at 21:37..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 21:45   #27
NMG26

Quote:
Have you ever considered that maybe your religion was a cleaver con?

What religion are you?

What sect?

I can only point you in the right direction if you are willing to share.

I do enjoy a good discussion on what people believe and why.

Most people are not willing to go too deep on their beliefs.

Old 05-08-2013, 21:54   #28
Daltini

Quote:
Have you ever considered that maybe your religion was a cleaver con?

What religion are you?

What sect?

I can only point you in the right direction if you are willing to share.

I do enjoy a good discussion on what people believe and why.

Most people are not willing to go too deep on their beliefs.

I too enjoy discussions so long as they dont degenerate into a pissing match. I am christian but as far as denomination I don't really identify with any of them. Mainly because I het tied to some of the poorer decisions made by people of that denomination. That being said I attend a Pentecostal church but I am comfortable in a lot of other churches if they meat a certain criteria.

I actually walked away from my faith for a time much to my parents dismay. I came back though
Old 05-08-2013, 22:01   #29
NMG26

Quote:
I too enjoy discussions so long as they dont degenerate into a pissing match. I am christian but as far as denomination I don't really identify with any of them. Mainly because I het tied to some of the poorer decisions made by people of that denomination. That being said I attend a Pentecostal church but I am comfortable in a lot of other churches if they meat a certain criteria.

I actually walked away from my faith for a time much to my parents dismay. I came back though
I am familiar with the Pentecostal church. I attended one for a year or so..........Church of God I think. I was also in a cult called The Way International for several years. The cult met my criteria.......until it didn't.

What is the criteria that must be met in order for you to be comfortable?

Last edited by NMG26; 05-08-2013 at 22:03..
Old 05-08-2013, 22:03   #30
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Hate to nerd up on you, but it is padawan.

Quote:
Seems you got it figured out.

Everything has a spin.

Really I think the best answer to JB's question was given by juggy4711 "Simple. Realize that spirituality and belief in God are not bad things but that religion is".

Yep

Quote:
I too enjoy discussions so long as they dont degenerate into a pissing match. I am christian but as far as denomination I don't really identify with any of them. Mainly because I het tied to some of the poorer decisions made by people of that denomination. That being said I attend a Pentecostal church but I am comfortable in a lot of other churches if they meat a certain criteria...
So basically you go to a church with one of the most strict doctrines but are comfortable with others, as long as they meet that strict doctrine?

To expand on that subject briefly...
Old 05-08-2013, 22:16   #31
Daltini

Quote:
I am familiar with the Pentecostal church. I attended one for a year or so..........Church of God I think. I was also in a Cult called The Way International for several years. The cult met my criteria.......until it didn't.

What is the criteria that must be met in order for you to be comfortable?

What did you think of it? I like a lot of them because the people tend to be more excited about the word and act on it throughout their daily lives. Not aure what I think about speaking in tongues though

Never heard of that. What is it?

Well first that they teach out of the bible. Not some curriculum. A series of teachings is on a subject is fine though. To many people come with X step program to change your life blah blah blah. They just need to teach the concepts of the bible.

Second the leaders in the church lead by example which should be striving to be like Jesus.

Third they should be excited about it. Been to so many dull churches who seem to have given up. It makes it harder.

What is your criteria?
Old 05-08-2013, 22:18   #32
Daltini

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Hate to nerd up on you, but it is padawan.

Yep

So basically you go to a church with one of the most strict doctrines but are comfortable with others, as long as they meet that strict doctrine?

To expand on that subject briefly...
Remind what the strict doctrine of a Pentecostal church is? I cannot recall it.
Old 05-08-2013, 22:24   #33
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Belief in direct supernatural gifts is one that springs to mind (speaking in tongues, healing, etc.)

Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 22:29   #34
Daltini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Belief in direct supernatural gifts is one that springs to mind (speaking in tongues, healing, etc.)
They believe and teach on it but I do no agree that it is strict doctrine. Never got the impression that we were being indoctrinated. My experience is somewhat limited however.
Old 05-08-2013, 22:59   #35
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Then you have never been to a Pentecostal church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Quote:
They believe and teach on it but I do no agree that it is strict doctrine. Never got the impression that we were being indoctrinated. My experience is somewhat limited however.
Obviously.
Old 05-08-2013, 23:09   #36
Daltini

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Then you have never been to a Pentecostal church.

Obviously.
Go be condescending somewhere else. I have been to many including one of the nations largest for years. But what do I know?
Old 05-08-2013, 23:25   #37
NMG26

Quote:
What did you think of it? I like a lot of them because the people tend to be more excited about the word and act on it throughout their daily lives. Not aure what I think about speaking in tongues though

Never heard of that. What is it?

Well first that they teach out of the bible. Not some curriculum. A series of teachings is on a subject is fine though. To many people come with X step program to change your life blah blah blah. They just need to teach the concepts of the bible.

Second the leaders in the church lead by example which should be striving to be like Jesus.

Third they should be excited about it. Been to so many dull churches who seem to have given up. It makes it harder.

What is your criteria?
I've come to some conclusions on the concepts of the bible that no longer allow me to be called a Christian.

Though I am no longer a Christian, I know that I learned a lot from my time as a Christian.

I'm not jaded and I have no regrets about my time as a Christian. I had to experience it to be where I am today. The same God that led me into Christianity, led me out of Christianity. The religion is just a shell that allows spiritual growth. At the same time there is something in it that stifles spiritual growth. It is a paradox.

When your time comes to grow out of it, you will.

It does not happen for everyone.

Old 05-08-2013, 23:40   #38
Daltini

Quote:
I've come to some conclusions on the concepts of the bible that no longer allow me to be called a Christian.

Though I am no longer a Christian, I know that I learned a lot from my time as a Christian.

I'm not jaded and I have no regrets about my time as a Christian. I had to experience it to be where I am today. The same God that led me into Christianity, led me out of Christianity. The religion is just a shell that allows spiritual growth. At the same time there is something in it that stifles spiritual growth. It is a paradox.

When your time comes to grow out of it, you will.

It does not happen for everyone.
So what sort of conclusions have you reached? I'm curious because lately Church has been discouraging for me and not attending yet still having a relationship with god seems to be a possibility...
Old 05-09-2013, 00:10   #39
NMG26

Quote:
So what sort of conclusions have you reached? I'm curious because lately Church has been discouraging for me and not attending yet still having a relationship with god seems to be a possibility...
Have to be another day.

Gotta run.

Thanks for asking though.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:20   #40
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Does it bother you that approximately 95% of the world's population disagrees with you?

Do you think they are all wrong and you are right?

In what other areas are you smarter than everyone else?

95%?

Man, you're worse than the liberals. Did you help them come up with that 90% agree with background checks statistic, also?
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote