Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2013, 19:15   #1
G202327

Target Shooting near Albuquerque

Hello, I'm looking for a target shooting area near Albuquerque, New Mexico (not an outdoor range, but open outdoor shooting). Checked the BLM site but information is vague.
Thank you
G202327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 20:43   #2
bryzo

Here in AZ we are allowed to shoot outside of city limits. The National Forest is where we usually head out to. If you can legally hunt in the area then you can legally shoot out in the open. It would be wise to pick up all brass and trash left behind from your range day.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22   #3
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by G202327 View Post

Hello, I'm looking for a target shooting area near Albuquerque, New Mexico (not an outdoor range, but open outdoor shooting). Checked the BLM site but information is vague.
Thank you

Have you tried GeoCommunicator.gov for locating BLM land?

Screenshot 1 of 2

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

» Click "Interactive Maps" link

Screenshot 2 of 2

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

» Select/check "Surface Management Agency" and "BLM Administrative Areas" on the right, as shown, then zoom in wherever you want (e.g., Albuquerque, NM)

Note that the interface is a little funky, but it'll get you there.

Also, it's been more than 20 years since I visited the area, but there used to be several shooting spots along Highway 6 (South of town along I-25 or West along I-40).

HTH

ETA 1: As you can see, there isn't much BLM land nearby. This is because ABQ is surrounded by Reservation land to the North, West, and South, and National Forest land to the East.

ETA 2: Based on the Site Alteration Notice, it's not clear how much longer 'GeoCom' will be in business.

Last edited by ArtCrafter; 05-04-2013 at 23:17.. Reason: ETA
ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 21:05   #4
Paul7
New Guy

I'd be careful shooting on Indian land, I've heard their psuedo-cops will take your guns. Anyplace else I don't worry too much, you shoot an AR and people will just drive by and wave. They worst I've had happen while unknowingly shooting on a rancher's land was he came up and politely let me know, we got to talking and he ended up letting me shoot his Colt 1911 he was carrying.

I did have two lesbo/liberal looking women get kind of huffy at me while shooting in the Santa Fe National Forest near SF. Apparently they didn't realize I had just as much right to be there shooting as they did being there hiking.

If you want to stay legit, closest would be the National Forest land near Jemez Springs or the Cabezon BLM land before you get to Jemez. Note the Cibola National Forest east of Albuquerque does not allow shooting.

Very gun friendly state we live in, it is actually legal to open carry in the State Capital. So glad I left Illinois......

Last edited by Paul7; 05-10-2013 at 21:08..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 21:08   #5
MedicOni

Valencia county has some land near the Isleta border past Meadowlake that lots of people shoot at. DO NOT go over the border onto Isleta tribe land. They WILL take your guns and you will not get them back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NR-P, NM EMT-P, TX, EMT-P, FP-C
MedicOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29   #6
cmontrose1
GuN-a-HoLiC

Send a message via AIM to cmontrose1 Send a message via Yahoo to cmontrose1
I love shooting in the Mesa! Best place by far to go shooting. And....it's free! Depending where you live in Abq., it is pretty close. Maybe if we can get enough interested members on here from the Abq and Rio Rancho area, we can go organize a day to all meet and go shooting in the Mesa! It's always fun meeting like minded people, and having a great time going out shooting! I say we meet at or near Cottonwood Mall and follow each other to the Mesa for an awesome day of shooting! What say you guys?
Thanks, Chris

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cmontrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:45   #7
windpoint

The Ojito Wilderness has designated shooting areas.
windpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 17:56   #8
G202327

Thanks everyone for the awesome info! Finally got to shoot 200 rounds through my new Glock 27. First time gun owner, loving the Glock community.
G202327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albuquerque., target shooting.