Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2013, 20:25   #1
CBennett

New EDC knife in the $80-90 range

Thinking of getting a new EDC knife for my birthday present. Id like to stick to made in the USA stuff. Looking at a pocket/folder style. Right now im looking at the Ontario Knife Apache TAC-1. Its $85.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 22:56   #2
boomchakabowwow

benchmade mini griptilian? about $90 IIRC
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42   #3
Victoriagotagun

I wouldn't pay that much for a blade with 440C steel.

If you want US made I would look into the Spyderco Native or Benchmade Griptilian series.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:13   #4
Caustic117

Spyderco native is my current EDC I love it. Can't comment on the Griptilian yet but it is next on my list.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Caustic117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:22   #5
CBennett

Whats wrong with 440C ive never had a problem with it? Ive been looking at the Griptillian also. I looked at the Spydercos but im not enamored of blades with holes or slots in them..I know im probably wrong or could be proven wrong but I just feel the hole somehow weakens the blade over if it was solid through that area..maybe just a hangup on my part.

And yes I want a US made or at least some kind of quality make(like Boker or what ever..not some made in China piece of junk..got a ton of those id like at least 1 NICE knife)

Last edited by CBennett; 04-30-2013 at 07:24..
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54   #6
brisk21

This is my Benchmade mini griptillian. It is such a high quality knife!! Plus, the axis locking system is excellent. I really like it.

The Cutting Edge
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05   #7
itstime

I would suggest anything American Kershaw. Or Benchmade.

May Look at the Kershaw Leek or smaller models. Nice to have in the pocket for a general EDC knife.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:30   #8
larson1122

Kershaw has a bunch of good options in that price range. I would also take a look at the Zero Tolerance Blems from kershawguy.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
Also a good option. They are available for ~$65 from a couple different places online.
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 14:11   #9
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
I would suggest anything American Kershaw. Or Benchmade.

May Look at the Kershaw Leek or smaller models. Nice to have in the pocket for a general EDC knife.
ive got a leek . Its nice. I just wanted something a step up. Oh and the only thing on the leek to watch for is the tip its easier to bend or even break off than some. I had bent mine so that i had to use a coarse stone to get a almost not visible but readily felt burr off the tip it worked well stil looks ok.

oh and i also like the lock on the benchmade...seems very similar to the type on my old Gerber Parabellum which is a stout lock and my last higher priced knife.

Last edited by CBennett; 04-30-2013 at 14:15..
Old 05-02-2013, 16:02   #10
CBennett

Thanks guys. I got(ordered dont have yet) the Ritter Mini Griptillian from Ritter/Benchmade .
Old 05-02-2013, 17:46   #11
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
Thanks guys. I got(ordered dont have yet) the Ritter Mini Griptillian from Ritter/Benchmade .

Good choice. I've got a full size myself.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:34   #12
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
You chose well. Betcha' like it a bunch.
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:34   #13
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Good choice. I've got a full size myself.
I wanted the full size really...but not in stock and I really didnt want to wait since no real time could be given for them to be back in stock.
Old 05-02-2013, 19:12   #14
Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
I'LL 2ND that. Cant beat a Griptillian for the money. It's many steps above a foreign made CRKT.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 22:20   #15
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Saw ya got the Ritter, was going to suggest that or the rift. Love my rift, the g10 is awesome.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:56   #16
John Galt
Anti-Federalist

Mini-Grips are great knives, I love mine.

The only person that makes slavery possible... is the slave.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:31   #17
Caustic117

Now I want a Ritter. I was actually thinking about building my own Griptillian on Benchmades website.

Caustic117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:15   #18
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

^ pretty cool that you can upgrade the steel too

Old 05-04-2013, 06:48   #19
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
^ pretty cool that you can upgrade the steel too

Yup, had I seen that before I may have gone that route..oh well no biggie im sure I will like it anyways.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29   #20
packeagle

I like my Benchmade 585 Mini Barrage, my current EDC.

That being said I want to add either a custom Mini-Grip or a Mini Rittergrip to my rotation for a little variety.
packeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:33   #21
fastbolt

My Benchmade 555HGPNK Mel Pardue design Mini Hollow Ground Griptilian has 154CM steel, a 2.9" blade ... and a hot pink handle.

I picked it up for under $70 at a cop shop, where it was sitting unsold because it was a pink knife in a display case filled with black tactical knives.

I thought it was a deal for the 154CM steel, the Axis lock and the less than 3" blade (as I sometimes travel to a couple places where LB's with blade lengths over 3" are prohibited ... but I can carry a concealed handgun under LEOSA ).

Larger version (in black)

Probably find them elsewhere for similar pricing, but speed & cost of shipping probably varies, too.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 05-04-2013 at 19:35..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54   #22
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Kershaw leek
Old 05-13-2013, 14:34   #23
G26AZ

I used to EDC a Spyderco Endura, but then on a whim picked up a Benchmade Griptillian (full size). It quickly became my EDC because of the axis lock system on it. It is the most solid locking system that I personally have ever tried - feels like a fixed blade when its open. but, its also quick and easy to close when you are finished with it.

I bought my daughter a Mini-Grip (in pink of course) to carry in her purse for times if her date started getting a little too frisky . . .

To me, the Griptillian is one of the best values for the money out there for EDC knives.
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 18:22   #24
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
My Benchmade 555HGPNK Mel Pardue design Mini Hollow Ground Griptilian has 154CM steel, a 2.9" blade ... and a hot pink handle.

I picked it up for under $70 at a cop shop, where it was sitting unsold because it was a pink knife in a display case filled with black tactical knives.

I thought it was a deal for the 154CM steel, the Axis lock and the less than 3" blade (as I sometimes travel to a couple places where LB's with blade lengths over 3" are prohibited ... but I can carry a concealed handgun under LEOSA ).

Amazon.com: Benchmade Pardue Design Axis Pink Mini-Griptilian Hollowground Modified Sheepsfoot with Ambidexterous Thumb Holes: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Benchmade Knife 550HG Griptilian Pardue Plain Edge Folding Knife with Hole Opener and Black Handle".: Sports & Outdoors

Probably find them elsewhere for similar pricing, but speed & cost of shipping probably varies, too.
well it happend again I have way too much time on my hands so I sent in my 551 to have the blade replaced with a 550BK blade. I'm going to swap that blade with my order from today:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/551-1304

I think the black blade and black/blue G10 handles are going to look awesome! I love the 500 blade, I have been playing with my spyderco's a lot and the axis lock makes the spydie openings even faster/smoother. I'll post pics once everything comes in.
Old 05-15-2013, 22:13   #25
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post

Amazon.com: Benchmade Pardue Design Axis Pink Mini-Griptilian Hollowground Modified Sheepsfoot with Ambidexterous Thumb Holes: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Benchmade Knife 550HG Griptilian Pardue Plain Edge Folding Knife with Hole Opener and Black Handle".: Sports & Outdoors

Used to work with Mr. Pardue, somewhere in the shed have a machete he made that weighs a ton. I can't imagine he would've endorsed a pink handle, but then again he always had a great sense of humor. As a surveyor, then again he may have specifically designed it that way for high visibility, now that I think about it it actually makes sense.

I'm more utilitarian than tactical, have always carried a Victorinox Swiss Army knife as my #1 EDC. They are just hard to beat, tend to use the screwdrivers and bottle opener more than the blades. Very well made, will hold a razor edge better and longer than most 440 stainless, and are typically fairly small. #2 EDC is a cheapo 5" folder that I removed the handle planks from, about 3/8" wide and weighs next to nothing, fits in my back pocket next to my wallet. I can sit all day and never know it is there and open it is about 8", plenty big enough for just about anything that requires a larger blade.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote