Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2013, 22:41   #1
21 Glock salute

Okay guys...here's one that stumps me.

I have a glock 21 and a glock 34. The 34 is newer than the 21, but I shoot it quite a bit more than I do the .45 (or I did until ammo got scarce). Shooting them side by side, I noticed that the trigger on my 34 seems to have a little more resistance on the "take up" than the 21, which seems smooth as butter. Is there any way to smooth out the "take up" part of the trigger? It already has the (-) connector and the weight is the same as the 21. I've also done the .25 cent polish job, but I'm wondering if I did it thoroughly enough? All the parts shine, but I'm thinking it's gotta be the trigger bar right? It's more of a personal preference, as I still shoot quite well with the 9mm and it doesn't matter a whole lot, but I'm interested in the mechanics of the thing.
21 Glock salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 23:50   #2
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Resistance or a gritty feel in the take-up can be caused at the point where the trigger bar contacts the fire pin safety, some glocks are just worse than others.
I'd remove the firing pin safety, clean and reassemble. Just to rule out any problems there.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 00:48   #3
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
Resistance or a gritty feel in the take-up can be caused at the point where the trigger bar contacts the fire pin safety, some glocks are just worse than others.
I'd remove the firing pin safety, clean and reassemble. Just to rule out any problems there.
I agree. I'd also take the mag out, turn the pistol upside down, and look into the mag well at the firing pin plunger as you partially squeeze the trigger a few times. Make sure the tab on the trigger bar is more-or-less centered on the plunger; if it is way off to one side, it will sometimes bind on the plunger and move in a jerky manner as the trigger bar moves during initial take-up.

If you haven't cleaned-out the firing pin/striker tunnel in the slide lately, you might want to consider it. A buildup of crud in there can have a negative effect on the trigger feel. Check your spring cups for cracks or deformation while you're in there, too.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 05-15-2013 at 00:49..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:06   #4
GlocksterJeff
Glock Armorer

You said your 34 is newer. Look on the side of the vertical tab of the trigger bar where it contacts the firing pin safety. Newer, post 2011 or so, 9mm trigger bars have a round bump on the side of that tab. Supposedly this makes the tab stiffer, but I've found it also increases trigger pull just a bit.
GlocksterJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59   #5
21 Glock salute

Thanks for all the knowledge! I'll be sure to check the firing pin safety.
Old 05-15-2013, 19:13   #6
1911austin

I would suggest installing a lightning strike safety plunger
Old 05-16-2013, 17:45   #7
cciman

Unusual for any 2 glock triggers to feel exactly alike. I have 8 Glocks, side by side, none of the triggers feel-- each is subtlety different, even with the same mechanicals.

I would just focus on trigger control and forget it.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40   #8
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
I agree. I'd also take the mag out, turn the pistol upside down, and look into the mag well at the firing pin plunger as you partially squeeze the trigger a few times. Make sure the tab on the trigger bar is more-or-less centered on the plunger; if it is way off to one side, it will sometimes bind on the plunger and move in a jerky manner as the trigger bar moves during initial take-up. .......
The striker safety cam SHOULD MAKE CONTACT with the safety's head slightly off to one side. It's deliberately designed like this in order to continue to spin the head of the striker safety as it operates and, thus, avoid wearing a permanent groove in the safety's head.

The OP's problem might be caused by the difference in a newer trigger bar's kick plate angle. The most recent bars have a higher angle and cause more drag against the striker lug. (Hence the new, '.' dot connectors)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 23:22   #9
DJ Niner

I understand. But I have also seen one (I suspect it had been "adjusted" by some goober) that was WAY off center, and binding on the edge; but it only seemed to make a big difference on some shots. Made for a wildly variable trigger pull weight.

I doubt it came from the factory that way, but I can't say for certain, of course.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 05-19-2013 at 22:44.. Reason: speling corection.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 18:59   #10
PghJim

Take the mag out and turn the gun upside down and look at the striker safety as you pull the trigger (which must be reset first). See if the notchy feel is when the tab goes over the striker safety. If that is it, polish the plunger and trigger bar tab. Just polish. If that is not it, I would have to see the gun. As said though, no two Glock trigger are exactly the same.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27   #11
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
The OP's problem might be caused by the difference in a newer trigger bar's kick plate angle. The most recent bars have a higher angle and cause more drag against the striker lug. (Hence the new, '.' dot connectors)
But it would still be at most 2/3's engaged so why the difference? I don't see how the angle changes drag if the engagement remains the same.
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37   #12
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post
But it would still be at most 2/3's engaged so why the difference? I don't see how the angle changes drag if the engagement remains the same. Thanks.
Because the sear's tab has farther to travel (or, 'fall'); and the amount of mechanical force applied to the striker's lug is, now, greater. I can actually feel this difference between my older and newer trigger bars.

PS: Don't make me start taking Glocks apart in order to examine the contact surfaces on both trigger bars - Please!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 05-20-2013 at 06:42..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 14:07   #13
21 Glock salute

Ok, I'm pretty sure I've got it nailed down. It's the trigger bar/connector interface. The way the trigger bar engages the connector is different between the two guns. It's not a big enough deal for me to try to break out the really small stones or even try to polish it (I tried that with a connector once and the bar just slipped off the connector...still fired, but a horrible trigger). Looks like I just need to pick up some more ammo and it will smooth itself out. Oh darn! Gotta go shoot some more :D