Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2013, 21:01   #1
Infidel4life11

A new look on the draw stroke

I've using the 4 step draw stroke for many of years. Which I've very slightly modified to my type of shooting at the time. I saw this video with Ron Avery about his version of the draw to I thought I'd try it for myself. By the end of day I can draw, fire and hit a 4" circle in around 1sec (.94,.92,1.08,1.05). Tomorrow I will try the trigger stripe target.

Video on the draw

Video on trigger press and trigger strip target.
Part 1
Part 2

I would like to have an adult discussion about this and I encourage you to train on it. I am not saying this is THE way or BEST way to do it. I also don't want to hear negative personal opinions about the people involved. Check it out, give it shot, and other than above what do you think.
Infidel4life11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:46   #2
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

I'm always down to modify what I do to get faster. I'll give these vids a watch and their due consideration.

...On to the vids...

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:55   #3
Infidel4life11

Thank you kind Sir, I thought the same.
Old 05-04-2013, 22:19   #4
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Watched the vids. I'm going to have to give some of the smaller things some thought, although I agree with most of it. I haven't researched Avery; that will be on my list before commenting, as well.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42   #5
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Well, I don't know if I like it. I agree with economy of motion. I use the same, although my draw stroke is different. I can't decide if I like Avery's principle since it it ultimately focused on the end point of the motion...how to get the pistol from point A to point B the fastest/efficient way (with solid control at point B). This leaves some uncovered areas in between. Both, Haley and Avery, have much more extensive resumes than I so I have to consider what they say but in the end I feel I have to continue doing what I do based on my needs. I also feel that his draw has more of a gun gamer appearance than Haley's. (just my opinion, everyone stay calm)

I wouldn't mind discussing further but it would be via pm if you care to do so.

Old 05-05-2013, 13:01   #6
clarson_75

I get what he is saying and it is a good method for the type of shooting he is trying to teach. I feel combat shooting, which is what he is teaching, has some key differences from self-defense shooting. As a concealed carrier, I am more interested in self-defense shooting. I like the 2 part draw more for SD because from the high ready position all the way to my shooting stance I can be firing the gun with modest accuracy at SD ranges. Like almost everyone else on here, this is my opinion and their resume is much more extensive then my own.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 15:13   #7
Infidel4life11

USMC I dont believe this should replace what we do currently. Just as an other tool in the box that has a time and purpose. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4step method and I will continue to use and teach it. I practice alot last night and took a friend to the range today who has been my training buddy for a long time. I pitched it to him and then taught it to him after I demo'd it he practiced and we gave it a run. After about 45mins to a hour he was on par with a 1sec draw and shot with exceptable combat accuracy (hitting a 5x8card placed on the chest of the target) @ 5&7 meters. It works pretty good but isn't the answer for everything. Oh and we shaved about .5sec off our 1-5 drill. So in all I'm happy with it and its something I can teach to shooters with more trigger time than normal.

Last edited by Infidel4life11; 05-05-2013 at 15:14..
Old 05-05-2013, 15:15   #8
Infidel4life11

Thank you both for the interest
Old 05-08-2013, 20:38   #9
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel4life11 View Post
USMC I dont believe this should replace what we do currently. Just as an other tool in the box that has a time and purpose. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 4step method and I will continue to use and teach it. I practice alot last night and took a friend to the range today who has been my training buddy for a long time. I pitched it to him and then taught it to him after I demo'd it he practiced and we gave it a run. After about 45mins to a hour he was on par with a 1sec draw and shot with exceptable combat accuracy (hitting a 5x8card placed on the chest of the target) @ 5&7 meters. It works pretty good but isn't the answer for everything. Oh and we shaved about .5sec off our 1-5 drill. So in all I'm happy with it and its something I can teach to shooters with more trigger time than normal.
I felt like I should come back to this; figured I'd throw some questions your way.

I realize this method may be faster, as it should, since it will cut out some pieces of the the draw but do you feel you are loosing anything by changing habits? My main concern is loosing engagement techniques between holster and final firing position. Do you think it is more efficient to put more focus on the end result of the draw rather than cover your bases on the way (close and ready firing positions)?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:24   #10
Infidel4life11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
I felt like I should come back to this; figured I'd throw some questions your way.

I realize this method may be faster, as it should, since it will cut out some pieces of the the draw but do you feel you are loosing anything by changing habits? My main concern is loosing engagement techniques between holster and final firing position. Do you think it is more efficient to put more focus on the end result of the draw rather than cover your bases on the way (close and ready firing positions)?
For me personally, I've been to four pistol classes at Gunsite, 1 course at Blackwater, 2 at Valhalla, Army Special Reaction team training, and Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor course. Just like every technique i have learned I believe the technique posted has a time and place.

Because you do lose the ability to engage right out of the holster at close and ready. You lose the ability to draw from a seated position like in your car. This draw stroke is very high profile and what I mean by that is: in .5secs or so you pistol is out, pointed and you are in that alarming (somebody is about to die) position. Versus you drawing and going to step 2 or 3 keeping the weapon close then maybe moving to or flanking your threat in a more low profile manner.

I've drawn my sidearm a few times at attacking dogs and at people using our 4step method and I believe things didn't get out of hand with bystanders because of my weapons presentation. That deliberate motion from my holster to my chest looks like I know exactly what I'm doing and I'm doing it in a safe manner.

Now the draw posted is more serious threat coming at you from within your public space(30ft) over the weekend we used the attack target which starts 30ft away and will hit you in 1.5 sec using the draw posted we had great success. We also did good on rapid incapacitation shots (25m shot to the head in under 2secs) but our long distance 50-100m shots suffered.

In all I think it is a good skill to have in the tool box but should not replace the 4step method.
Old 05-09-2013, 20:24   #11
samuse

Isn't that called bowling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:43   #12
Infidel4life11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Isn't that called bowling?
Nope, bowling refers to the shooter drawing and swinging the weapon up in a circular motion often with just the strong hand. With bowling there is a lot of wasted motion. Here they go point A(just out of the holster) straight the point B (where you would break the shot with sights on target)
Old 05-10-2013, 14:54   #13
Infidel4life11

Here is a look at it drawing from the appendix position. Not the same as posted above but he goes from holster, hands meet in the middle, straight to where he breaks his shot. I usually do this in about 1.50-1.70 inside of 15m. Once I hit 15m I slow down due to focusing more on clean hits.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=pl7hI6aEvs4
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24   #14
Infidel4life11

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=NZie5VrhCkc

Here is a follow up with Cory. If you go to the 4:20 mark he puts hits on steel as fast as .75 also .80s from cc.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17   #15
4Rules

Quote:
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=NZie5VrhCkc

Here is a follow up with Cory. If you go to the 4:20 mark he puts hits on steel as fast as .75 also .80s from cc.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 17:54   #16
Infidel4life11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Thank you for fixing that
Old 05-14-2013, 21:13   #17
FireForged
Millenium #3936

FINALLY! someone has the guts to hint that all this over articulation that you see in the new generation of shooters... is not better than simply drawing and pointing the dern weapon like we have done for over 50 years. At least Ron has the creds to actually cause some to pause and consider what he is saying.

I actually heard a guy at the range tell his mid 20's son to "stop trying to look cool and put the front post on your target quickly". The kid was doing the typical robotic moves to the high chest and drive forward just to shoot a target 4 yards away.

Last edited by FireForged; 05-14-2013 at 21:22..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24   #18
Infidel4life11

I've been training this since I started this thread. It's definitely fast and easy to be accurate if practiced. Again it's not for every situation but a good skill to have.
Old 05-15-2013, 18:17   #19
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
I've been training this since I started this thread. It's definitely fast and easy to be accurate if practiced. Again it's not for every situation but a good skill to have.
What's your personal best time with this method now that you have been runnin' it for a bit?

Old 05-15-2013, 20:19   #20
jp3975

tagged
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 21:44   #21
Clusterfrack

The draw stroke looks good, but isn't really new. What I'm not liking so much is the "trigger stripe" video where I think Avery is telling us to tension the firing hand by trying to rotate it away from the support hand? Am I understanding what he's suggesting correctly?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28   #22
Jake Starr

No bowling, no fishing no swimming.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 14:32   #23
Infidel4life11

USMC- about 2weeks, .82 fastest from kydex holster at the 3 o'clock on steel. I'm also 3weeks out of major shoulder surgery on my non firing side. So in about 6 weeks I should be in the .70s.

Clusterfrack- he was talking about holding tension in the outside part of your forearm. I found this works well when shooting 50+ meters. Shooters are usually missing left or right when shooting at those distances. I have them use that technique and get them on steel at distance.

I studied and tried the trigger stripe stuff a year ago. When I have students who can't group well even after dot drills, I have them try the techniques explained in the trigger stripe. It works try it.
Old 05-16-2013, 15:25   #24
RRP

Thanks for the video links. Good information that I will incorporate in my dry drills.
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 15:38   #25
Clusterfrack

Infidel--good copy. I'll try it --it's good to have another tool in the box for shooters who have trouble. The reason I was wondering about this is that I prefer not to do too many things that differ between two and one handed shooting.