Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 13:52   #1
Chris Brines

Would you carry this ammo?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....m-hollow-point

^^^ and for that price?

I've not been too impressed with the Federal Hydra Shok tests, and although the expansion seemed good on this 135 grain Tactical Bonded bullet, the testing procedures were substandard and penetration can't be assessed from just shooting downward into a bucket of water. This bullet lost about 7% of it's mass when being fired directly into water. No jacket seperation and good expansion though.

I'm down to my last magazine of fresh carry ammo. My backup mags are filled with last year's carry ammo. I have a few boxes of Gold Dot +P's at my camp about 2 hours away, but it's supposed to be for "rainy days". Well it's pretty rainy in the ammo department, and I am wondering if it's worth it to buy another box of carry ammo (for $75/50 rds with shipping and tax) from this distributor or should I just wait it out? I like to have backups for backups. That way if plan A fails, there's plan B and C. I've been looking for a box (or a few boxes) of Gold Dot +P's for a WHILE now. I was carrying Corbon DPX 90 grain +P's last year, but I think I'm going to just go with Gold Dots for both my Glocks. Or Hornady Critical Defense, if I can find either.

Here's the test on the 135 grain +P Tactical Bonded:

Last edited by Chris Brines; 05-13-2013 at 13:56..
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 14:04   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

In all honesty I don't feel awkward carrying FMJ. Any hollowpoint is going to be better than that.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 14:13   #3
Chris Brines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
In all honesty I don't feel awkward carrying FMJ. Any hollowpoint is going to be better than that.
I thought about putting a few FMJ's in the bottom of my magazines in case the POS that makes me resort to deadly force decides to take cover. But I'd definitely like the best HP I can find for the first few rounds. The thing is the price on this ammo...

I bought a box of 20 rounds Federal Hydra Shok 9mm 135 grain "Low Recoil - Personal Defense" HP's for about $30.

Then I watched the ballistics tests on YouTube. I will not be carrying that ammo. In fact the box is unopened and I'll probably bring it to the next gun show and sell it. I'd rather carry my handloaded 115 grain FMJ's, seriously. I have some 147 grain Gold Dots in my handloads but I've not been able to verify the velocity on them so idk how effective they'd be for SD. So until I can do that, I'm not going to carry them or keep them in my backup mags.

Yeah I'm a little compulsive about things like this lol...I try to only carry 9mm +P's, and usually only Gold Dots, Critical Defense, or Corbon.

Last edited by Chris Brines; 05-13-2013 at 14:14..
Old 05-13-2013, 14:13   #4
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

In 9, I carry the 124gr Federal bonded. I appreciate being able to better deal with auto bodies and especially auto glass. I'd have no problem switching to 135gr.

The price is an eyebrow-raiser, though. Don't know what the new normal is, but $1/rd is premium rifle territory.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 14:16   #5
Chris Brines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
In 9, I carry the 124gr Federal bonded. I appreciate being able to better deal with auto bodies and especially auto glass. I'd have no problem switching to 135gr.

The price is an eyebrow-raiser, though. Don't know what the new normal is, but $1/rd is premium rifle territory.
Yeah well that's the only reason I'm asking. It's the only 9mm HP's I've seen in a very long time. I think I'm just gonna hold onto what I have, if I only switch my carry ammo out every year, and try to chamber each round as seldom as possible, it should last indefinitely. If things don't get back to normal by next year it may be time to take a trip up the road and break into the rainy day stash.

Last edited by Chris Brines; 05-13-2013 at 14:17..
Old 05-13-2013, 15:06   #6
HarleyGuy

I carry Federal Hydrashocks (sp?) in all of my carry guns.
Never had reason to doubt they would do the job.
At the end of their "carry cycle" I empty the magazine at the range and I've never had one fail to fire or to hit the intended target.

Not saying they're the best ammo available but I certainly think they're reliable enough for EDC.

Last edited by HarleyGuy; 05-13-2013 at 15:12..
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 15:16   #7
glockman99

I bought the 230 grain Speer Gold Dot to carry in my G21, simply because I couldn't find a box of Hydra-Shok to buy. I actually like the Gold Dot better than the Hydra-Shok now.
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 15:25   #8
SouthernBoyVA

In 9mm, I preferred carry loads are;

o Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P
o Federal HST 124gr +P
o Federal HST 147gr +P

The Federal Hydra Shok is an older technology and has had cases where the orifice got clogged and the bullet failed to expand. The HST is a much better load. BTW, the rounds in the video are not Hydra Shoks. The Federal Hydra Shok bullet is easy to identify due to the lead post in the center of the hollow nose.
Old 05-13-2013, 15:39   #9
unit1069

I've read that the 135-grain Federal Tactical Bonded +P is an excellent self-defense round.
Old 05-13-2013, 15:41   #10
SCmasterblaster

No way - not at that price! I get Win 9mm 115gr+p+ ammo for $21 box of fifty.
Old 05-13-2013, 16:13   #11
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I use 147gr Gold Dots. I like heavier bullets.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 16:24   #12
Bruce M

I think I would try to avoid spending $75 for a box if I could, but on the other hand that is inexpensive compared to the price of solving problems that might arise from a poor ammunition choice.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 16:36   #13
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Try here: http://www.9mmammo.com/

I didn't buy SD ammo but got some FMJ 9mm last week. Maybe they still have some ... and at reasonable pricing.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 17:40   #14
SCmasterblaster

The Federal and Winchester 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ loadings have been proven in police gunfights hundreds of times. The data I've seen is 90% one-shot stops. Well I'll go for a three or four-shot 100% stop.
Old 05-14-2013, 18:48   #15
A6Gator

My Frau carries 147gr HST in her G19. We went through a ton of ammo trying to find the Goldilocks load and this one came the closest. If you have confidence in it and it doesn't have a lot of snap and flash, it's probably the best choice. The gun in your hand is better than the one in your safe or left in the house...
Old 05-15-2013, 14:43   #16
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
My Frau carries 147gr HST in her G19. We went through a ton of ammo trying to find the Goldilocks load and this one came the closest. If you have confidence in it and it doesn't have a lot of snap and flash, it's probably the best choice. The gun in your hand is better than the one in your safe or left in the house...
G19 - a great carry gun.
Old 05-15-2013, 15:19   #17
ChiefWPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post

The problem, gentleman, is that ammunition has now become so pricey that the cost of firing a sufficient number of rounds in a pistol to ensure reliable functioning will set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

What is far more likely to happen is, people will purchase a single box of ammuntion, fire a magazine or two from the box and call it quites.

Good luck with that. My suggestion? Find a good, reliable round made by a major manufacturer and stick with it. Indeed, once you've found such a round buy yourself a case of ammo. This will now become your sole carry round. It's just the prudent thing to do.

Old 05-15-2013, 16:33   #18
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
Find a good, reliable round made by a major manufacturer and stick with it. Indeed, once you've found such a round buy yourself a case of ammo. This will now become your sole carry round. It's just the prudent thing to do.
Given the current realities I couldn't agree more.

I'm glad I had the opportunity and funds to buy and test a number of premium JHP self-defense ammos in two calibers the past 5-6 years. And just as happy that I make a practice of saving at least one magazine's supply of each ammo whether or not I decided to carry that ammo.

Sheesh, I'm not even shooting my range ammo these days, things are so tight.
Old 05-15-2013, 18:04   #19
Black&TAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
The Federal Hydra Shok is an older technology...
^ This.

Had some old boxes of Hydra Shok that went downrange a few months back. HST is a much better choice. Preference (depending on caliber) is towards Ranger, Gold Dot, or DPX based on what I've seen.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited by Black&TAN; 05-15-2013 at 18:06..
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 20:08   #20
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I know that I am in the minority with this view but I look for my ammo to function reliably in my firearm and would prefer it to be a hollowpoint although I do carry FMJ more often than not. Speeding projectiles put holes in things and to that end, I don't really over intellectualize the idea of ballistics. Things do not function very well with holes in them and its very likely to change the channels of a badguy who is attacking me. Ballistics are certainly real and as much a science as anything else but in its most basic consideration... [Hulk Voice] ammo go bang, gun work good, bullet make holes, if can repeat, all is good. If that ammo worked well in my handgun... yep I would use it.

I am still using the old federal 9bp jhp and Speer Lawman FMJ. It works

Last edited by FireForged; 05-15-2013 at 20:09..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 20:22   #21
Deaf Smith

Sure I'd carry it.

Now use Winchester T series 127gr +p+ but you do know the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun, right?

Well the corollary of that rule is it must be loaded.

So it may not be the greatest JHP but it will do.

Deaf
Old 05-15-2013, 20:22   #22
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
The Federal Hydra Shok is an older technology and has had cases where the orifice got clogged and the bullet failed to expand. The HST is a much better load. BTW, the rounds in the video are not Hydra Shoks. The Federal Hydra Shok bullet is easy to identify due to the lead post in the center of the hollow nose.
Agreed.

Any Gold Dot, HST or Ranger-T in your preferred bullet weight should serve you well. I'm partial to the 124gr Gold Dot +p load myself.

Last edited by Travelin' Jack; 05-15-2013 at 20:23..
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 20:30   #23
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Just to be clear... I'm assuming you carry a .45?
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 20:51   #24
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Jack View Post
I'm partial to the 124gr Gold Dot +p load myself.
To date my biggest ammo regret is the failure to pick up the Speer 124-grain Gold Dot +P when it was offered on multiple Internet ammo sites at $24/box of 50.

Last edited by unit1069; 05-15-2013 at 20:53..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 21:03   #25
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
To date my biggest ammo regret is the failure to pick up the Speer 124-grain Gold Dot +P when it was offered on multiple Internet ammo sites at $24/box of 50.
I paid about $34 per 50
Even at that price I wish I'd have bought more when I had the opportunity.