Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2013, 19:10   #1326
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro566 View Post
For those of you who cross-draw carry your Taser...I implore you to consider weak-hand carry. We go through yearly force-on-force training here that highlights the weakness of crossdraw. For instance this year our UoF trainers gave us all a roleplay scenario where we respond to a "suspicious person" call which when you arrive, you find a guy working on a truck. During the course of the scenario he becomes aggravated to the point where everyone draws their Taser on him to give him commands. As you are giving commands, his partner runs out from behind cover and starts engaging you in a gunfight.

Every single person that crossdraw carried their Taser died in the scenario. I'm no expert and I don't claim to be, but I feel this could be in large part to a lack of pre-planning on their part. What would you do? Would you reholster the Taser and draw your gun? Those who did took 7-8 rounds before they could draw their gun. Those who simply dropped the Taser took 5-6 rounds before they could draw their gun.

Those of us who weak-side carried our Tasers only took 1 to 2 rounds before we were able to draw our firearm and engage the threat. There were some who "died" that weak carried also so I'm not saying it's the end all be all. I'm just saying it is my opinion you should re-consider your method of carrying. If you insist on crossdraw, please mentally rehearse this scenario and your response. Not knowing what you'll do will cause you to reholster your Taser which is a cluster****. Going over what you will do (ie dropping the Taser) beforehand will save you valuable time. The critics will say "what about sympathetic trigger pull"? What about it? If you deploy your Taser on accident while engaging a lethal threat, does it matter? I'm not saying gunfight the lethal threat and Taser the nonlethal
You know, I never thought about it that way. Even though I don't currently carry a taser (agency doesn't allow them), that's got me thinking now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 21:05   #1327
Metro566
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Without having been there, I think that part of the solution is not spending a bunch of time pointing a Taser at somebody. I know that we have overdependence issues in my agency, to the point that I have seen people clear buildings with the damned thing. I am more and more of the opinion (and I am a Taser and Firearms instructor) that the Taser should generally be drawn and fired unless there is sufficient lethal cover and a plan. It simply does not offer enough benefit over other options to engage in a drawn out series of commands in a one-on-one scenario.
I agree with you completely that there are cops out there becoming over-reliant on the Taser. So much so it can become an officer safety issue rather than an officer safety tool (ie the scenario you provided in clearing a building). However, I work alone with backup sometimes being 5-10minutes away all the way up to 45minutes away and sometimes I have to deploy the Taser in a one-on-one scenario (and have). I'm certainly not claiming weak-side carry is the ONLY way to do it...but I do urge my brothers and sisters to consider the tactical advantages and disadvantages of each.

I also am a huge proponent of the triple mag pouch, as I see many of you on here carry it. It is a blessing in disguise that we can carry another 15rds in the space previously occupied by two magazines. The "added weight" is a weak argument in my opinion.

Remember guys, every day you get ready for work, you're getting ready to go to war. Whether you think "it can't happen here" or not, you're gearing up to do battle. Keep that mindset at every call, every stop, and every shift.

Stay safe guys (and gals)

Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23   #1328
ditchdoc24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro566 View Post
I agree with you completely that there are cops out there becoming over-reliant on the Taser. So much so it can become an officer safety issue rather than an officer safety tool (ie the scenario you provided in clearing a building). However, I work alone with backup sometimes being 5-10minutes away all the way up to 45minutes away and sometimes I have to deploy the Taser in a one-on-one scenario (and have). I'm certainly not claiming weak-side carry is the ONLY way to do it...but I do urge my brothers and sisters to consider the tactical advantages and disadvantages of each.

I also am a huge proponent of the triple mag pouch, as I see many of you on here carry it. It is a blessing in disguise that we can carry another 15rds in the space previously occupied by two magazines. The "added weight" is a weak argument in my opinion.

Remember guys, every day you get ready for work, you're getting ready to go to war. Whether you think "it can't happen here" or not, you're gearing up to do battle. Keep that mindset at every call, every stop, and every shift.

Stay safe guys (and gals)
I agree with your point on the weak hand draw for Taser deployment and I do carry mine that way. I believe that Taser is now recommending weak hand draw for deployment as well. I've also been thinking about going to the Safariland 775 triple mag pouch, just haven't done it yet.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 15:47   #1329
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I forgot to mention that the Force Science Institute folks are also recommending weak hand draw (not cross draw) following their analysis of the BART shooting.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30   #1330
Schaffer

I was a cross drawer too...ill admit it. I still am, i just draw with left hand instead of my right. I can still get the taser out with either hand though, 99 percent of the time i go with my left hand.

Cop Talk

Left to right.
Buckle
(2) glock 15 rounders. Winchester ranger t- series.
keeper
Zak Tool key keeper
Vintage radio holder with moto HT750
Stinger DS led
Peerless hinged cuffs that were gifted to me.
Keeper
Free space ( you should be jealous)
Keeper
S&W m-100 chain cuffs
26 inch asp
Glock 19 Gen 4, tlr-1s, NS, safariland 6280
Keeper
X26 in blade-tech holster
Buckle

Belt,cuff cases,keepers,light & baton holders are bianchi accumold. mag pouches are a don humme open top.

Big change from when i started a year ago.
Cop Talk

Last edited by Schaffer; 05-12-2013 at 15:15..
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 14:18   #1331
Agent6-3/8

I think this will be the final version for a while. Adding the taser required some adjustment and readjustment. I really like the Safariland Slimline mag pouch and wearing it on my gun side makes for some very quick and more natural feeling reloads, IMO. It also allowed me to keep my back clear and my light and radio in he same positions.

Now if the department will just get our 6360's out to us I can add my Surefire X300 to my G22...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367871480.938159.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	233157

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2013, 18:21   #1332
ditchdoc24

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Cop Talk - Click for larger version  
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:16   #1333
plp

Wow, hats off to all of you and major props. I have a work belt for my trade, thankfully when in the vehicle I get to take mine off and set behind the seat. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to carry all that gear the entire shift. Mine weighs in right at 18 lbs., and after many years have trimmed it down to that, lots of stuff I carried in my 20's I consider unnecessary today. It is still in the vehicle, justifies a trip back to the truck should I need it rather than EDC for the weight advantage. Then again, I'm not a first responder and my time is not at the premium yours is.

The practical observation I've made (purely my own opinion) is the youngsters carry way too much gear, the old hands trim it down to the necessities. I know a game warden that keeps his duty belt to 6 lbs, no cuffs, about 20 zip ties in lieu of, and a 24 lb combo Camalbac/gear backpack. All the essentials (radio, weapon, mags, zip ties) on the belt, all the first aid/latex gloves/taser/backup/cell phone/H2O on the backpack.

He is 62, about 5'10', maybe 165 lbs max, can and does a 20 mile patrol, on average, daily.

Last edited by plp; 05-18-2013 at 06:24..
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:42   #1334
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Newbie question, so excuse me if it sounds well...newbish.
I'm looking for a way to save some weight on my belt and maybe distribute it across the larger area of my body (my hips are hurting now).
I carry the handcuffs, flashlight, OC, baton, radio, keys, Glock 22 and two magazines. Cheap agency issued belt.
I was thinking about this belt:
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2828.php
and some lightweight version of the handcuffs and baton.
If there is any other trick that You care to share - I would be more than happy to learn that.
I'm wearing the internal vest, so most of the suspender systems are not going to work.
Thanks

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:53   #1335
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Newbie question, so excuse me if it sounds well...newbish.
I'm looking for a way to save some weight on my belt and maybe distribute it across the larger area of my body (my hips are hurting now).
I carry the handcuffs, flashlight, OC, baton, radio, keys, Glock 22 and two magazines. Cheap agency issued belt.
I was thinking about this belt:
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2828.php
and some lightweight version of the handcuffs and baton.
If there is any other trick that You care to share - I would be more than happy to learn that.
I'm wearing the internal vest, so most of the suspender systems are not going to work.
Thanks
That belt is what I am going to replace my worn out Accumold with.

These cuffs:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum8968.php

This baton:

http://www.milestactical.com/ASPAI.html
Old 06-03-2013, 22:04   #1336
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Thank You.
Yeah, I can definitely save some weight on these items.
I'm also thinking about Safariland Model 72 - double magazine pouch with handcuff holder.
This way I may save the space on my belt (size 34) and just some weight as well (or so I'm assuming, since there will be no handcuffs pouch to deal with).

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 22:10   #1337
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

May be a good idea. Keep in mind it sticks out far and will cause the pouch to dip down over time.
Old 06-04-2013, 17:44   #1338
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
You're endorsing an ASP? WTF, over?
Old 06-04-2013, 17:54   #1339
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
You're endorsing an ASP? WTF, over?
Not over a straight stick lol but that doesn't sound like an option up in canuckikstan. Nor is it lightweight!

I ordered one of their little pocket investigator 16" clip on ASPs for my sap pocket in case I leave my table leg in the car on a hot call amd need to whack the hell out of something/one.
Old 06-04-2013, 18:45   #1340
lndshark

Quote:
Not over a straight stick lol but that doesn't sound like an option up in canuckikstan. Nor is it lightweight!

I ordered one of their little pocket investigator 16" clip on ASPs for my sap pocket in case I leave my table leg in the car on a hot call amd need to whack the hell out of something/one.
Oh, true. I didn't even notice it was Nestor that you were replying to! Whenever Mrs. Lndshark and I are visiting her homeland, I see ASP's and Autolocks on everyone's belts. Good back scratchers they be!

No pics yet but I copied your set-up once again. Rocking the single open-top cuff case next to my belt buckle...suh-weet! Light, small, and easy to access. I'm keeping my second set on my vest, Cheeze-style. My back is happier, too.

Counting down the days 'till we switch to G-22's (not my first choice but better than the XD-Fouty. Already got my WML-compatible 6285 ready to rock!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32   #1341
CW Mock

You guys suck.

Have to wear my TASER cross-draw, per policy.
Have to wear Clarino, per policy.
No slimline or triple mag pouches, per policy.
Policy.
Policy.
Policy.

"Looking the same is more important than having stuff work as well as it could" - direct quote from a stupidvisor.

That said, the Ergo-Tek belt is pretty effin awesome by itself. I had one for the old job, and loved it. It wears better than leather and is easy to clean, let alone far more comfortable. I threw some spare pouches and crap on mine and put on the Back Defender suspenders, and that was downright awesome for a duty belt.

Of course, policy forbids I can use that belt so ... but it might be of use to some of you guys!
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45   #1342
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer View Post
I was a cross drawer too...ill admit it. I still am, i just draw with left hand instead of my right. I can still get the taser out with either hand though, 99 percent of the time i go with my left hand.

Cop Talk

Left to right.
Buckle
(2) glock 15 rounders. Winchester ranger t- series.
keeper
Zak Tool key keeper
Vintage radio holder with moto HT750
Stinger DS led
Peerless hinged cuffs that were gifted to me.
Keeper
Free space ( you should be jealous)
Keeper
S&W m-100 chain cuffs
26 inch asp
Glock 19 Gen 4, tlr-1s, NS, safariland 6280
Keeper
X26 in blade-tech holster
Buckle

Belt,cuff cases,keepers,light & baton holders are bianchi accumold. mag pouches are a don humme open top.

Big change from when i started a year ago.
Cop Talk
I recognize a lot of that stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
Oh, true. I didn't even notice it was Nestor that you were replying to! Whenever Mrs. Lndshark and I are visiting her homeland, I see ASP's and Autolocks on everyone's belts. Good back scratchers they be!

No pics yet but I copied your set-up once again. Rocking the single open-top cuff case next to my belt buckle...suh-weet! Light, small, and easy to access. I'm keeping my second set on my vest, Cheeze-style. My back is happier, too.

Counting down the days 'till we switch to G-22's (not my first choice but better than the XD-Fouty. Already got my WML-compatible 6285 ready to rock!
Nice.

Mine has changed again. Ever evolving it seems, although it is little incremental changes.

I ordered some Safariland steloy cuffs (8121-2-31) to try. And an ASP P16 for my sap pocket. https://www.asp-usa.com/store/batons...on-batons.html
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19   #1343
Gear
Silver Membership
Silver C/O

I'm a C/O with a county jail. Since I haven't participated yet I figured I would throw my rig up on here. Nothing to exciting. From left to right Blackhawk glove pouch, perfect fit cuff strap for Folger Adams keys, Blackhawk flashlight holder, Blackhawk cuffpouch with S&W hinge cuffs, Perfect Fit glove pouch, 5.11 radio pouch, Blackhawk cuff pouch with S&W chain cuffs and a Blackhawk OC Pouch with issued spray.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Attached Thumbnails
Cop Talk - Click for larger version  
Old 06-23-2013, 20:07   #1344
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Cop Talk

Latest.

Added Safariland cuffs and a 16 inch ASP that weighs nothing. Still have the TASER and straight stick and G26.

Don't always bring the big stick and we are getting those damn X2 TASERs so I probably won't carry one anymore. The ASP keeps me in policy since we need a single LL option available.
Old 06-23-2013, 20:11   #1345
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Cop Talk

Latest.

Added Safariland cuffs and a 16 inch ASP that weighs nothing. Still have the TASER and straight stick and G26.

Don't always bring the big stick and we are getting those damn X2 TASERs so I probably won't carry one anymore. The ASP keeps me in policy since we need a single LL option available.
What kind of radio holder is that? Custom?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 20:13   #1346
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Its the OE Moto holder that came with it. Total piece of ****.
Old 06-23-2013, 20:37   #1347
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Its the OE Moto holder that came with it. Total piece of ****.
Ok. I've been riding with te porta clip for a year now and I bend the hell out of it. In search of a replacement

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 20:39   #1348
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Ok. I've been riding with te porta clip for a year now and I bend the hell out of it. In search of a replacement

www.comholsters.com

This guy makes a kydex pouch for the XTS5000 and a few other radios. Best I have ever seen.
Old 06-23-2013, 20:43   #1349
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
www.comholsters.com

This guy makes a kydex pouch for the XTS5000 and a few other radios. Best I have ever seen.
Is that a custom product from him? It's not listed on his site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 20:46   #1350
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Is that a custom product from him? It's not listed on his site.
No, his site just blows. He made enough of them to have my local radio shop have a stock.

Email him.

I was going to have him do some for our APX6000s but he needed like 30 minimum and I had to send him my radio and small/large batts to engineer it. My dept would poop a brick if I did that.