Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2010, 16:06   #1
Unkind

Cor Bon Hunter 200gr RNPN

I apologize for re-posting this, however I originally posted it in the 10 ring and didn't receive many views/responses. Hopefully the forum gods will forgive me.

Picked up a box of these the other day for my OD Green G20. The box says Cor Bon Hunter 200gr RNPN 1125fps 562ft/lbs. I want to carry these when hunting/camping. Wondering how this round stacks up vs black bear specifically. I tried Google and came up short with any real information on these other than marketing. Please don't start the handgun vs bear debate here...I'm just looking for real experiences/testing with this particular round!

Another question. How would RNPN/flat nosed rounds in particular behave in a human target? I assume similar to FMJ rounds, but haven't seen or heard of any data on human shootings with these rounds. Often when hunting/camping I'm just as worried about bear as I am two legged animals. The thought has crossed my mind of alternating these rounds with the 175gr Winchester silver tip hollow points, but I don't know if this would even be worth it? Thank you in advance for the responses. This truly is a great information vault.
Unkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 13:28   #2
NonPCnraRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkind View Post
I apologize for re-posting this, however I originally posted it in the 10 ring and didn't receive many views/responses. Hopefully the forum gods will forgive me.

Picked up a box of these the other day for my OD Green G20. The box says Cor Bon Hunter 200gr RNPN 1125fps 562ft/lbs. I want to carry these when hunting/camping. Wondering how this round stacks up vs black bear specifically. I tried Google and came up short with any real information on these other than marketing. Please don't start the handgun vs bear debate here...I'm just looking for real experiences/testing with this particular round!

Another question. How would RNPN/flat nosed rounds in particular behave in a human target? I assume similar to FMJ rounds, but haven't seen or heard of any data on human shootings with these rounds. Often when hunting/camping I'm just as worried about bear as I am two legged animals. The thought has crossed my mind of alternating these rounds with the 175gr Winchester silver tip hollow points, but I don't know if this would even be worth it? Thank you in advance for the responses. This truly is a great information vault.
I prefer the shape of the Double Tap WFNGC hardcast bullet as it has a sharp edge to the meplat (flat area). The round you are enquiring about has a more rounded edge so the surface area of the meplat is not as large as the WFN. With nonexpanding bullets wound diameter is determined by meplat diameter x impact velocity. Having said that, the bullet you are asking about will probably have better accuracy than a hard cast bullet as they seem to need aftermarket barrels with conventional rifling when used in Glocks. The rounded edge of the meplat will ensure more reliable feeding than a sharp edged meplat. It will also penetrate any 2 legged or 4 legged varmint you are faced with. I would load for the largest threat you will encounter and be done with it. That Corbon round will hit as hard as any standard 44-40, 44 spl, 38-40, 45 Colt etc and a lot of deer and bear have fallen to those calibers before hunting magazines made us believe we needed magnums. Personally, I would prefer Double Tap 230 gr WFNGC 10mm ammo but that would require an aftermarket barrel. The Corbon ammo should serve you well for the trail/camping. Do not alternate ammo. If you have to use this ammo on multiple BGs politely ask them to line up single file so you can take out 2-3 with one bullet. Sorry, my gallows humor surfaces once in a while. Over penetration out on the trail will not be a concern. But getting through the heavy bone of a bear might be. The ammo you have chosen should serve you well. As an afterthought a lot of people will get a Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun in 44 mag and then load it down to the power level of the ammo you are going to use so they can make faster follow up shots. I have dropped the hammer on some full house 44 mags in a Smith Model 29 which is heavier than a Mountain Gun and I would rather have the G20 with the Corbon ammo.

Last edited by NonPCnraRN; 10-29-2010 at 13:36..
NonPCnraRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34   #3
Ak.Hiker

The CorBon 200 grain Penetrator is a good load to carry when woods walking. I have done a lot of penetration tests with it in wood and moose bones. The Penetrator bullet is made by CorBon and has a thicker jacket and a harder core than most FMJ's on the market. It is designed to bust through heavy bones. Out of my Glock 29 it will penetrate through 6 inches of spruce wood easily. You could load two Silvertips up first and then finish the magazine with the Penetrators. I have done this and tested the combination for reliability and it works for me.
Ak.Hiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 14:06   #4
Unkind

Thank you very much for the info and sorry for the late reply but I've been gone training for an upcoming deployment. It seems info on this round is pretty scarce, but I think I'll continue to carry it in the woods.
Unkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 14:35   #5
Ak.Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkind View Post
Thank you very much for the info and sorry for the late reply but I've been gone training for an upcoming deployment. It seems info on this round is pretty scarce, but I think I'll continue to carry it in the woods.
When I got my Glock 29 years ago the CB 200 grain Penetrator was about the best I could find for protection when hiking as far as the 10mm goes. The dealer that carried it was pretty cool and limited his customers to one box at a time so that all of his customers could carry it. He had lots of other loads for plinking or SD. He sawed the Penetrator bullet in half to compare it to the FMJ loaded by PMC. The CB had a thicker jacket as advertised. He also carried CB 44 Magnum Penetrators for bear protection. CB makes some good stuff. Take care on your deployment and thank you for serving our country.

Last edited by Ak.Hiker; 11-28-2010 at 14:38..
Ak.Hiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40   #6
4949shooter

Drsjr only got about 1080 in velocity:

Still a good penetrator though.