SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:05   #26
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
How about if you could even take out the part I bolded? Then you'd have stopping power is the ability to cease a behavior with no qualifications? My thinking is that a pistol (or weapon in general) would have "stopping power" as far as I am concerned 'cause if someone pointed a gun or held a knife on me I'd damn sure stop!!!

But I agree, in spirit, with the definition you make.
Yes we could broaden the definition a bit with something like this;

Stopping power is the immediate, near immediate, or practical cessation of the aggressive and dangerous actions of an assailant before he can do any harm or further harm to his victim(s).

But the definition I offered related specifically to the use of a firearm for one's protection. And since this is a firearms-related website, I thought that was appropriate. The fact is, the above definition is also true in that one could have used a baseball bat, a knife, or some other implement to effect the same or similar results. Many times, just the threat of using a weapon of some sort can turn a BG away from his plans and cause him to seek other ventures.

Still for us, we are concerned about how a sidearm is going to win the day for us. That is why we train and why we carry.
Old 06-15-2013, 15:39   #27
fastbolt

How has S/A Patrick's definition of a "stop" been shown to be unreasonable since the release of his paper Handgun Wounding Factors & Effectiveness in '89?

Why must we repeatedly try to rediscover the reason the wheel works best when it's round?

I remember reading a just-released copy of it as a young LE firearms instructor, when it was new, and thinking that it seemed pretty straightforward and reasonable at the time.

Read page 15 ... and remember this was written back at the end of the 80's.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-15-2013 at 15:40..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 17:55   #28
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
How has S/A Patrick's definition of a "stop" been shown to be unreasonable since the release of his paper Handgun Wounding Factors & Effectiveness in '89?

Why must we repeatedly try to rediscover the reason the wheel works best when it's round?
There will always be those who insist on 'tinkering'.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46   #29
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post

I remember reading a just-released copy of it as a young LE firearms instructor, when it was new, and thinking that it seemed pretty straightforward and reasonable at the time.

Read page 15 ... and remember this was written back at the end of the 80's.
I think for the same reason that terms, once perfectly understood, have been altered because of people getting confused who are new to the world of firearms. A perfect example is the term "DA/SA" when used to describe the trigger action of a semi-auto pistol. This is a relatively new term (maybe the past 15 years or so) that didn't exist when I first got into firearms (over 45 years ago). The description used to be "DA" and that is still what I use since I refuse to use the term DA/SA. Why? It is redundant. By virtue of the fact that a pistol is a DA it is also a SA. This was true 40 years ago and is still true today.

So what you mentioned in your opening paragraphs has a correlation to what I just wrote above. I have always understood what I believed to be factual about "stopping power", which could also be called "stopping ability". This has never confused me. Different studies come and go but there are some facts that remain.

I have read the work which you mentioned but it was years ago. The only thing that would affect that paper would be the current crop of quality defensive handgun ammunition. It is quite a bit better than that which was available in 1989. However, the core facts still remain the same. Incapacitation. How quickly and how effectively it takes place.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42   #30
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
The description used to be "DA" and that is still what I use since I refuse to use the term DA/SA. Why? It is redundant. By virtue of the fact that a pistol is a DA it is also a SA. This was true 40 years ago and is still true today.
Instead if saying DA only?

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54   #31
AZson

Stopping power to me is different then fatal shots, stopping power is what caused the bad gun to "stop". Yes 34% of the people died from a .22 but how long did it take them to stop?

Last edited by AZson; 06-16-2013 at 09:55..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:13   #32
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
Instead if saying DA only?
???

I accept the description of what DAO means and that is my preferred action type for carry and home defense pistols. I think one of the things that tends to get lost in the discussions of action types, and I have seen this, is what determines the action of a semi-auto pistol or a revolver. It is only one thing; what task(s) the trigger performs in firing the gun. That is all. It has nothing to do with a hammer or striker, or anything else. Just the trigger. If you always keep this in mind, you'll never go off base.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:21   #33
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Stopping power to me is different then fatal shots, stopping power is what caused the bad gun to "stop". Yes 34% of the people died from a .22 but how long did it take them to stop?
Whether or not the assailant dies from his wounds is secondary at best. What is primary is how well did your ammunition (caliber and load), along with you, do the job in stopping that person's attack before they were able to hurt you.

As for .22's used for self defense... that's a whole different animal that has caused pretty visceral discussions on this and other websites. I agree with your premise. I would much rather stop someone bent on doing me harm in as short a time as possible. I don't subscribe to the idea that a .22 can do this. People who try to promote this idea I think fail to consider reality. A BG is not likely to stay put while you are sending rounds in his direction. So a head shot, like I've heard proponents of the .22 argue many times, is not going to be an easy or viable target when that target is moving around trying to do you harm.

No thanks. I'm with you. I'll continue to carry my .40S&W with quality SD ammo and train accordingly. Let those who argue for the .22 carry that round and find out whether or not it is best if and when the time comes. Darwin my likely be the arbiter in those encounters.
Old 06-16-2013, 13:36   #34
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
???

I accept the description of what DAO means and that is my preferred action type for carry and home defense pistols. I think one of the things that tends to get lost in the discussions of action types, and I have seen this, is what determines the action of a semi-auto pistol or a revolver. It is only one thing; what task(s) the trigger performs in firing the gun. That is all. It has nothing to do with a hammer or striker, or anything else. Just the trigger. If you always keep this in mind, you'll never go off base.

You make some valid points, however to be understood today one needs to utilize present lexicon no matter how silly it may be. After all, the original term for DA revolvers in the 19th century was "self cocker" and if you used that term today most people would think you were talking about self "pleasure".

Last edited by Tiro Fijo; 06-16-2013 at 13:37..
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 15:23   #35
rustytxrx

A few months ago I got a graphic reminder. I spent decades hunting a Remington Varmint master .308 at 300+ yards and pigs with 10mm and 5.7x28 at very close range. I bought a FNAR (308). I put a eotech on it and decided to hunt pigs at my usual pistol range. Using 150 gr corelokte. The pigs did not move out of their tracks. Far different from the pistols I had been shooting. With a pistol the pigs usually made it at least 10 to 15 yds.

After a few singles as a warm up, I decided to give to fill the freezer. In less than 3 seconds I had 4 pigs DRT.

It just would not happen with my 10mm.

Caliber Corner
Old 06-20-2013, 20:28   #36
Gray_Rider

As far as the so called pistol caliber/stopping power debate goes, one thing is almost always ignored. HISTORY. History tells the same story over and over and over again.
One group of calibers WORKS better than anything else over hundreds of years and thousands of gunfights regardless of shot placement. .40 and up with a sizeable powder charge works historically better and more consistantly than anything else.

History proves it every day. Why the debate on what works best? Carry what you feel comfortable with, but always remember the clear urgent proof of history and plan accordingly.

Gray_Rider
Old 06-20-2013, 20:43   #37
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
As far as the so called pistol caliber/stopping power debate goes, one thing is almost always ignored. HISTORY. History tells the same story over and over and over again.
One group of calibers WORKS better than anything else over hundreds of years and thousands of gunfights regardless of shot placement. .40 and up with a sizeable powder charge works historically better and more consistantly than anything else.

History proves it every day. Why the debate on what works best? Carry what you feel comfortable with, but always remember the clear urgent proof of history and plan accordingly.

Gray_Rider
History has done well for the .357 and it doesn't start with a 4.

-And history hasn't been ignored, at least not in CC. Someone is always around to give a history lesson on just how long a given caliber has been doin' it's thang.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic

Last edited by uz2bUSMC; 06-20-2013 at 20:46..
Old 06-20-2013, 21:46   #38
rustytxrx

if you read the recounting of the old wild west pistol fights you will find they did not often die quickly.

I think the only answer is to shoot accurately and often
Old 06-21-2013, 02:16   #39
WinterWizard

What I want to know, is how can the exact same debate be carried out on the Internet with virtually the same people? I mean, Jesus-effing-Christ ... this exact same thread has been played out about 10,000 times on 10,000 different forums over the past 10 years. It's a giant cliche at this point.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:11   #40
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

History doesn't account for "improvement".

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49   #41
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

And a lot of history, caliber wise, is just a lot of myth and legend but not reality. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50   #42
ditto1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
What I want to know, is how can the exact same debate be carried out on the Internet with virtually the same people? I mean, Jesus-effing-Christ ... this exact same thread has been played out about 10,000 times on 10,000 different forums over the past 10 years. It's a giant cliche at this point.
Well... um. It's just a debate that is enjoyable and has no clear cut right answer.

What caliber do you prefer?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:52   #43
ditto1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
History has done well for the .357 and it doesn't start with a 4.
When we did rounding in 4th grade math, .357 would have been rounded up to 4.

Last edited by ditto1958; 06-21-2013 at 12:53..
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56   #44
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
When we did rounding in 4th grade math, .357 would have been rounded up to 4...

Where I went to school we were taught it would be .360.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 13:24   #45
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Given the many variables that go into each and every successful self-defense shooting I don't believe the term "stopping power" can have any meaningful definition.

I do believe having a duty caliber weapon increases the odds for a defender but aside from that there are no quantifiable factors in an individual encounter.
THIS^^^^^
Sure, identical shot placement, sim results. The issue will be when shots are not perfectly placed in the CNS, then the size of the bullet/hole starts to matter if only a small amount. Many gunfights are won on the margins. if a larger bullet, regardless of how it gets there, gives me that margin, I am all in. Thus my sig line.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 06-21-2013 at 13:24..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 21:48   #46
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post

Quote:
Where I went to school we were taught it would be .360.
Boom.

Old 06-21-2013, 21:55   #47
unit1069

Quote:
In the real world of firearms ballistics I've read .357 Magnum is the standard by which all other handgun rounds are judged for stopping two-legged predators. And from all I've read and heard that's a standard that's difficult to dispute, with the credible exception of .45ACP, the other contender for the crown. It would be futile to criticize one choice over the other at this point, in my opinion. It seems like it all comes down to what platform and shooting characteristics fits your hand better.

Last edited by unit1069; 06-21-2013 at 22:07..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 22:38   #48
rustytxrx

The most devastating standard pressure round I have shot is a .45 Colt 225 gr hard cast wadcutter (dum-dum) at 1050 fps. out of a 3.75" Vaquero Bisley. It is a jeep carry pistol in a console holster.