GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 20:28   #1
ashecht
Senior Member
 
ashecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,656
Another Walmart score!

Called a local Walmart tonite asking about 9mm or .45 ammo. Was told no 9 but alot of .45. Alot was an understatement. I would estimate at least 150 boxes of Winchester in the case. Since wife and son were with me I picked up 9 boxes. Clerk told me had at least 250 more boxes in the back. He also told that corporate has put a hold on any orders for 9mm. If it comes in, great, but stores cannot order it from corporate. Any day with 500 rounds of anything is a GOOD day
__________________
G19 Gen4, G26 Gen4, G30 Gen3
Springfield Range Officer
Italian Beretta 92FS Inox
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05   #2
Brucev
Senior Member
 
Brucev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Excellent! Buy what you can, where you can, when you can! Buy it before the scalpers buy it, then reprice it and put it up for auction.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 00:10   #3
DAIadvisor
Senior Member
 
DAIadvisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Excellent! Buy what you can, where you can, when you can! Buy it before the scalpers buy it, then reprice it and put it up for auction.
Wrong - that's just feeding the problem. Don't buy it just because you can, where you can as much as you can. Take a break, and chill out for a few months. Let the situation stabilize and then buy whatever you need. But hey, it's just me.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31   #4
G23c
Senior Member
 
G23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 4,033
thats a lot of .45. good to hear.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:42   #5
newgene
Senior Member
 
newgene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecht View Post
He also told that corporate has put a hold on any orders for 9mm.
That's a very informed clerk.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:53   #6
packeagle
Senior Member
 
packeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgene View Post
That's a very informed clerk.
Local walmart had lots of 9mm. A few cases worth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
packeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:09   #7
matt_lowry123
Senior Member
 
matt_lowry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: owensboro KY
Posts: 1,535
I haven't seen ammo at walmart for a solid 6 months. I'm just glad I already had my pile of ammo.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 19:28   #8
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 92,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
I haven't seen ammo at walmart for a solid 6 months. I'm just glad I already had my pile of ammo.
It's very scarce in the WMs around here too.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 19:28   #9
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 92,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecht View Post
Called a local Walmart tonite asking about 9mm or .45 ammo. Was told no 9 but alot of .45. Alot was an understatement. I would estimate at least 150 boxes of Winchester in the case. Since wife and son were with me I picked up 9 boxes. Clerk told me had at least 250 more boxes in the back. He also told that corporate has put a hold on any orders for 9mm. If it comes in, great, but stores cannot order it from corporate. Any day with 500 rounds of anything is a GOOD day
Very cool

Congrats!
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 21:08   #10
08Dawg
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Had good luck with my local Wal-Mart tonight. I decided to randomly wander in around 9:15 this evening, and they had one 50 rd box of .40 WWB for $18.95 and two 250 rd boxes of .40 Remington UMC for $89.95 on the shelf. I took the .40 WWB and one of the 250s. Also saw at least one 250 pack of .45 Rem and some smaller boxes (Hornady, maybe?) of .38. Didn't see any 9mil or .22, though, but I didn't look that hard. Only problem was I had to stand around for a good fifteen to twenty minutes before somebody would actually sell me some ammo. Nobody seemed very eager to try and sell me something.

Last edited by 08Dawg; 06-10-2013 at 21:09..
08Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 21:53   #11
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
Wrong - that's just feeding the problem. Don't buy it just because you can, where you can as much as you can. Take a break, and chill out for a few months. Let the situation stabilize and then buy whatever you need. But hey, it's just me.
I agree. And not only that, people need to stop buying if the prices are stupid. If you continue to pay the inflated prices, they will continue to charge them. Just like if you continue to go to stupid movies, they will continue to make them. You can just say no, and if enough people do so, they are forced to change. Simple as that. Unfortunately, most people are dumb and can't control their buying impulses.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17   #12
newgene
Senior Member
 
newgene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
I agree. And not only that, people need to stop buying if the prices are stupid. If you continue to pay the inflated prices, they will continue to charge them. Just like if you continue to go to stupid movies, they will continue to make them. You can just say no, and if enough people do so, they are forced to change. Simple as that. Unfortunately, most people are dumb and can't control their buying impulses.
Last night was a good night at WM. I didn't buy anything and they only had 7 boxes of 225 ct 22LR, but it was a great night. I walked up with 3 guys already at the counter. One more came while I was standing there. They brought out the 7 boxes, but myself and one other guy walked off because we didn't need any of it. The first guy who waited 2 hours bought his 3 boxes. The second guy only bought 2 boxes, and the guy who showed up at the fifth slot, bought the last 2. Yeah, it got wiped out, but I was proud of folks for not buying 22LR just because it was there.

I think people are getting tired of stocking up. If you truly are not going to shoot the ammo, it does not make financial sense to just buy it. First of all, you will have more opportunities by the end of the year, and why pay for something now when you can defer the cost into the future. Unless you think ammo will be outlawed or undergo some steady-state price increase, you actually lose money to buy it too soon.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57   #13
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al
 
ShallNotBeInfringed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,565
The ammo problem is multi fold, and complex. The short of it, is buy what you can, any way you can, if you can afford it, because tomorrow could be worse.

In the future, if and when supplies build back strong again, every trip past a ammo display, purchase some for a rainy day. Keep it out of the reach of others, keep it dry and away from solvents, and always keep adding religiously to your stash.

Ammo is a good bartering coin, good for buying things in a depression. One can never have enough ammo.

How much is the amount where it starts to become a good stash? 1,000 rounds per gun Xs each family member. If you have 10 guns and five family members, the 200 rounds you now have is only 49,800 short.

Keep buying, the gov is, that you can count on, and they are using your money.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
__________________
19 21 Cutaways 19 19C 20 20SF 21 21C 22C 23 23C 27 32 32C 22LR 460
31 State Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience, Retired FFL Dealer
NRA Benefactor Life NRA CRSO NRA instructor RSOi CPi PPITHi PPOTHi RTBAVi

Last edited by ShallNotBeInfringed; 06-11-2013 at 05:58..
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12   #14
jknight8907
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Memphis TN (roughly)
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
The ammo problem is multi fold, and complex. The short of it, is buy what you can, any way you can, if you can afford it, because tomorrow could be worse.

In the future, if and when supplies build back strong again, every trip past a ammo display, purchase some for a rainy day. Keep it out of the reach of others, keep it dry and away from solvents, and always keep adding religiously to your stash.

Ammo is a good bartering coin, good for buying things in a depression. One can never have enough ammo.

How much is the amount where it starts to become a good stash? 1,000 rounds per gun Xs each family member. If you have 10 guns and five family members, the 200 rounds you now have is only 49,800 short.

Keep buying, the gov is, that you can count on, and they are using your money.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
50k rounds? Planning on invading a small country?

Sent via teletype
jknight8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:41   #15
Boot Stomper
Senior Member
 
Boot Stomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Metro East of IL
Posts: 2,503
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
I haven't seen ammo at walmart for a solid 6 months. I'm just glad I already had my pile of ammo.

Same here. Early December was last time I seen ammo at Walmart. Other that 30/30, 270 or shotgun shells.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:39   #16
newgene
Senior Member
 
newgene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 735
Last night was the first time I've seen 325 ct packs of 22 on the shelves at WM with no line. I actually wasn't going to buy it, but I called my brother, and he said he's still hunting it down. So, I bought 3 boxes for him. He then drove up there and bought the last 2 boxes probably about 15 minutes later. They also had 44 wwb, 9mm federal 100 ct, rem 380, and rem 38 special. I even saw some 22 magnum. The day before, I passed on the 225 ct rem 22 boxes. However, when I told my brother I passed, he said he wished he would have known. Well, now he has 1625 rounds of it. He did have to wait a day.

All this, and I still can't find .223/5.56 brass case.

Last edited by newgene; 06-12-2013 at 04:40..
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 14:18   #17
MEspin
Member
 
MEspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 29
Anyone notice that http://ammo-can.net/ is not giving inventory updates anymore? I've had no luck with walmart in the Baltimore area.
MEspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 17:04   #18
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
The ammo problem is multi fold, and complex. The short of it, is buy what you can, any way you can, if you can afford it, because tomorrow could be worse.
No offense, but this is exactly the mentality I speak of. This mentality and those who spread it are the reason we have an extreme ammo shortage.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 20:23   #19
Glock26z
Senior Member
 
Glock26z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 319
I see these at gun shows and I have to laugh at the buyers spending to much monies for their ridiculas pricings. I buy wholsale from the factories with our license. If you see to high of prices on the tables of ammo comparedto the stores,walk away. these peoples are looking to make big profits from your wallets. IT IS SAD THAT IT HAS TO COME TO THIS but,they are the ones that are going to shut down the gun shows.
Glock26z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 22:43   #20
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
No offense, but this is exactly the mentality I speak of. This mentality and those who spread it are the reason we have an extreme ammo shortage.

Bingo. The "bunker" mentality is killing us all. Many seem to have some delusion of holing up in their "Alpine Redoubt" while holding off veritable waves of attackers bent on stealing their precious staples.


Meanwhile, the ammo companies are laughing all the way to the bank.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:49.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 919
281 Members
638 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31