Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:50   #1
rd3

Is doubletap hard cast ammo lead?

Looks like a great woods round but I'm wondering if it is lead. I want something to shoot in my G20 stock barrel but don't want to shoot lead. Anybody know?
Lifetime NRA Member
rd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34   #2
Tmygun

Yes, they are lead. I guess some people use them in limited quantities in their stock Glock barrels (making sure to clean carefully after a certain number of rounds), and others use them in after market Glock barrels.

Tmygun
Tmygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 14:09   #3
Danny Reid

Hard cast lead in a Glock shouldn't pose any special problems, particularly if the bullets are gas checked.

Where you run into problems with Glocks is where softer lead bullets come into play.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:43   #4
Dreamaster

Lead with a touch of silver!

I bought a box "for fun" but unfortunately I had some feeding issues with them. That said, I bought some new 5th gen magazines and came to realize how weak the ones I got with the gun really were. (Bought it used off Gunbroker.com with 7 mags). I have yet to buy another box and test them out.

After 20 rounds I could see small amounts of lead in the barrel. After a couple of good scrubbings though it seems fine, just keep the barrel cleaned up after you shoot a bunch.
Dreamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54   #5
jfisher777

Double Tap Ammo

I contacted DoubleTap on the issue and this is the reply I got...

They are specifically made to fire safely in your Glock. They are a really deep penetrator.
Mike McNett
President
Doubletap Ammunition
jfisher777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:12   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I won't say they won't lead any at all, but the leading should be minimal. I've fired a number of the 200gr WFNGC bullets down Glock barrels and that's been the story for me.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13   #7
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Back in the days of Elmer Keith experimenting in the .44 world, 12 brinell was "hard cast". Now, that's just slightly harder than your average clip-on wheel weight. Many manuals talk about casting with linotype (about 19 brinell). While it's a really nice alloy and makes purty boolits, the high antimony content makes them fairly brittle. Most manufacturers will take something similar to a wheel weight alloy and water drop them straight out of the mold to heat treat them (arsenic required, or you just have wet lead), or heat treat them in an oven. Most commercial lead boolits will be around 18 bhn / brinell hardness scale, but they won't shatter on a deer's shoulder blade, for example.

What's really interesting is that you often don't need something that hard. It's part demand of an ignorant market and partially a fix for improperly sized bullets that don't fit the bore (the #1 reason for leading of barrels).

I don't doubt Mr. McNett's statement. That's going to drive a straight line very deep in an animal.

As far as shooting lead in your Glock, there's only one way to find out. If you don't want to try, but desire a "woods load" that acts like a solid, use a fmj solid.

To answer your question, those are beyond what I'd call hard cast.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54   #8
dkf

I see this is a revived older thread.

Hickok 45 has a youtube video shooting the Doubletap 10mm hard cast loads. He experienced poor accuracy with the Glock barrel and good accuracy with the aftermarket lonewolf barrel.

IMO Zombie has it right. I suspect that some of the reason Hickok was having accuracy issues with the Glock barrel is because the bullet diameter was too small. It is not uncommon to have a barrel prefer a cast bullet .002" or so larger in diameter than the nominal size.(for example .356" nominal and .358" prefered)
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45   #9
jfisher777

Well, thanks for your replies. The reason I "revive" it was, as you may also have experienced, it has been a bit difficult to get ammo lately. I was able to get some double tap 180gr for my 357 sig.... but then I started getting second thoughts about the lead factor... . and then, with the higher grain count, well, I started looking here.... now I do not know whether or not to use it...
jfisher777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33   #10
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher777 View Post
Well, thanks for your replies. The reason I "revive" it was, as you may also have experienced, it has been a bit difficult to get ammo lately. I was able to get some double tap 180gr for my 357 sig.... but then I started getting second thoughts about the lead factor... . and then, with the higher grain count, well, I started looking here.... now I do not know whether or not to use it...
I would not worry too much about shooting lead through Glock barrels. It is done all the time by reloaders. Just keep an eye on accuracy and check the barrel for signs of leading. I would pull the barrel out of the gun and do the "plunk test" with some of the rounds to make sure they fully chamber and don't hit the throat of the barrel.

Let us know how those 180gr .357sig work, I was thinking about trying some myself. I have been planning on getting a 150gr mold cut for .357sig with a similar metplat size of double taps 180gr bullet.

Last edited by dkf; 06-17-2013 at 12:35..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote