GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2013, 18:29   #26
caraker0341

A .22 cal, 31 grain projectile at 2,400 ft/s or less is still a .22 cal, 31 grain projectile at 2,400 ft/s or less.

Good sir, you have placed your your faith in the venerable K-Hornet.

As said earlier, I find the round interesting. However, after 14 years of working in my field, I have great difficulty putting my faith in it. Pigs and gelatin are not angry, amped up people. It has great potential as a low recoil, low noise vermin or target round. A reloadable, souped up .22WMR with a reliable headspace would be head and (pun)shoulder above the hornet or .22 win mag.
Old 06-10-2013, 18:34   #27
caraker0341

On a less antagonistic note:

Good work on describing the shot placement on the pigs. You know your prey pretty damn well.
Old 06-10-2013, 18:55   #28
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraker0341 View Post
It has great potential as a low recoil, low noise vermin or target round.
It is good for that. Those fragile little bullets are great for ground-hogs and other vermin under 25 pounds.

As a defensive round- there are much better options available than the 5.7

Last edited by M 7; 06-10-2013 at 19:41..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 19:11   #29
caraker0341

I won't lie, a 40 grain TSX would be veeeeery interesting(I am one of those idjits who believe placement is king and penetration is queen) but I still will not trust the 5.7 outside of a critter gitter until many, many, many more OiSs are analyzed and declared successes for the round. Defining that success is a whole different thread. Carry what you want. I hope your rounds are used on nought but pigs and paper.
Old 06-10-2013, 21:43   #30
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraker0341 View Post
Defining that success is a whole different thread. Carry what you want. I hope your rounds are used on nought but pigs and paper.
I hope it is just paper and pigs also.

I enjoy discussing this stuff. this was a good one I thought. when it get real continuous, I think the discussion loses it's entertainment value. I never think I am going to make in traction changing someone's mind nor do I want to. If your are happy with your rig, I am happy for ya.

It is a fun gun.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31   #31
RichardB
Silver Membership

As a self defense choice I'd like to know what it's track record is outside of multiple shots from SWAT submachine guns?

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45   #32
BMH
Lifetime Membership

While I enjoy mine, unfortunately we know how well the FN 5.7 works against people. It was the handgun that the Fort Hood shooter used.
Old 06-11-2013, 17:06   #33
rustytxrx

I have the set . I also have the PS90. Since I have hunted the 5.7 x 28, I have never searched for citations about it's effectiveness. I do remember it was used in a shoot out by Houston officers in 2003. I searched for an official citation of the event Only found this more or less hearsay citation

Written by Sandy Wall

"Houston SWAT was involved with the first and only [LEO] lethal engagement with the weapon to date." (2003)

"In the one shooting we had with the P90, the bullet performed well. In fact, the bullet performed exactly as it was designed. The autopsy provided detailed information about the wound cavity and travel of the bullets. None of the 5.7mm rounds fragmented and as far as we can tell, none exited either. The shooting itself was a violent confrontation with many rounds exchanged between the suspect and the react team. The suspect was hit multiple times with both 5.56mm and 5.7mm rounds."
"The 5.7mm ball produces a wound cavity about the size and shape of the best 9mm 115 grain JHP +P+, except the peak occurs at a deeper penetration."
Old 06-11-2013, 17:18   #34
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
I have the set . I also have the PS90. Since I have hunted the 5.7 x 28, I have never searched for citations about it's effectiveness. I do remember it was used in a shoot out by Houston officers in 2003. I searched for an official citation of the event Only found this more or less hearsay citation...

Brownsville, TX PD SWAT tried it and it failed miserably in at least two CONTACT DISTANCE shootings as it did not penetrate the perps. They dropped it from service. One of the SWAT guys told me this in person. Word.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:31   #35
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Brownsville, TX PD SWAT tried it and it failed miserably in at least two CONTACT DISTANCE shootings as it did not penetrate the perps. They dropped it from service. One of the SWAT guys told me this in person. Word.
I have heard such also. it is easy to find internet posts pro and con for the 5.7 x 28. I don't believe much of it either way. I have not had a problem.

I guess if someone wanted to know the citable facts it would cost $25. I am pretty sure I know exactly what is says

http://store.academicfp.com/a-case-o...8mm-ammunition
Old 06-12-2013, 05:58   #36
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

Rusty,

Don't be disheartened by the naysayers. I still fear getting shot by the 5.7 as I do many other calibers wether I carry them or not.

I think the piggies in your freezer are on my side.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:34   #37
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfH***ard View Post
Rusty,

Don't be disheartened by the naysayers. I still fear getting shot by the 5.7 as I do many other calibers wether I carry them or not.

I think the piggies in your freezer are on my side.
It makes it difficult since there are 4 factory loadings for the 5.7 from 27 to 40 grs. the round info is seldom given with the citation of an incident. the loads act differently under various circumstance.

it's ok I don't think the 5.7 will save the world. It is just a useful pistols in the right hands,

the round is interesting but the pistol is a jewel. light weight, accurate, very controllable.....and 20 rounds
Old 06-12-2013, 15:21   #38
390ish

The ballistic tips out of a PS90 act a bit differently than the plastic tip 22 mag rounds out of a rifle. Substantially different. Never fooled with the round in a handgun.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 22:00   #39
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
I have the set . I also have the PS90. ..........
http://www.gunblast.com/FrankJames_FNPS90.htm
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:16   #40
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
+1

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That is true right now for a lot of ammo but the five seven ammo is indeed high but shoots nicely because of low recoil.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 23:01   #41
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Caliber Corner
Would be a great trunk gun for those who ride an old Harley Davidson.

And... a 5.7mm 40gr bullet traveling @ about 2,300 is going to do some significant damage. And... a 50 round mag... I'm likin' it!

Where ya at fredj338??? What do you think?
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 00:17   #42
Hondo341

I like magnum revolvers, g-20 and g-21's..............but this would be really neat to have and try on hogs if it wasn't so expensive.
Hondo341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 17:06   #43
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo341 View Post
I like magnum revolvers, g-20 and g-21's..............but this would be really neat to have and try on hogs if it wasn't so expensive.
.223/5.56 is already questionable on hogs, why choose something weaker and less effective? - to make them suffer and die slow?
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 18:58   #44
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
.223/5.56 is already questionable on hogs, why choose something weaker and less effective? - to make them suffer and die slow?
LOL, you must think I am an plebeian pistol shot. I am a expert at pig heart shots. I have got one shot. A three inch circle in a pigs chest cavity. From a sitting two hand hold, how many shots will you put in an orange at 15 yes? I dare say you would put all of them in the orange. How far do you think a pig can run after he has a dime size hole thru his heart?

some of the 5.56 shooters are kinda spray a pray shooters. Those that are careful shots and know pig anatomy, do quite well with the 5.56 out to 100yds. Pig hunting is just like defensive shooting. Shot place is everything and you need enough penetration to get a hole thru the heart.
Old 06-16-2013, 19:46   #45
WinterWizard

Quote:
Shot place is everything and you need enough penetration to get a hole thru the heart.
Exactly. Which is why I wouldn't want a 31 or 40gr bullet, no matter how fast it is.

But I think I was quoting Hondo's post, not one of yours...
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 22:36   #46
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Where are the street credentials for this round?

Can't find any?

Think about that.......
Old 06-16-2013, 22:38   #47
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

This is another epic 9x19 or larger thread in the making......

Old 06-17-2013, 18:31   #48
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
This is another epic 9x19 or larger thread in the making......

I don't think so. The bullet does have the user base. even though it was designed to replace the 9mm, the 9mm has a great number of shooters including me.

I saw a post from the Shot Show that someone else is coming out with a smallish carbine for the 5.7 x 28
Old 06-22-2013, 15:33   #49
drt4life

I like the round and due to FN making subgun in same caliber it makes sense since you only have to carry one caliber ammo, from that standpoint it is a very useful setup, You can also get a AR upper in this caliber with 50 round magazine that does not hang down....I have also shot a lot of car doors....anything since around mid 70's has crash bars inside doors, and when you add window glass motors, speakers, auto locks and such, you will rarely shoot through a modern car door with a pistol round. 00 buck is pretty useless against a car door, regardless of movies....I like the 5.7 due to it has the velocity to make hits past 100 yards....
drt4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 18:42   #50
rustytxrx