GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2013, 22:12   #1
vulcan71

Herterís Select Grade Aluminum Case TNJ Ammo (Nyclad)

This ammunition is manufactured by Blazer Ammunition for the Cabelaís house brand Herterís with a Total Nylon Jacket and is based on the Federal Nyclad technology.

I have found this ammunition to have the following benefits: clean shooting, no copper fouling and no lead fouling.

The negatives: the 9mm Luger 115gr TNJ had a defective rate of 10% based on 500 cartridges purchased. The defects ranged from excess nylon jacket material, missing nylon jacket on bullet or damaged aluminum case.

I discovered the problem when my FNX-9 slide jammed and fail to fire with a live cartridge in the chamber with the pistol ready to fire. My friend and I tried to move the slide but we could not. I called a range officer over and after 5 minutes he handed me a cartridge with a damaged nylon jacket and chewed-up rim that jammed in the chamber causing the slide to not move (there were no firing pin marks on the cartridge). Based on this problem I have to carefully inspect all the cartridges which I find too time consuming.

I also use the 40 S&W 165gr TNJ and found 13 defective cartridges out of 300 cartridges purchased but I have not had an issue.

I do not have any experience with the 45 ACP 230gr TNJ ammunition.

When I use the ammunition I always have a clean firearm that has a recently oiled bore (properly maintained firearm) and I do not fire more than 100 rounds per range session.
Old 05-09-2013, 00:46   #2
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan71 View Post
...and I do not fire more than 100 rounds per range session.

I fire a flintlock more times than that in a range session!!
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01   #3
Jeff Hughes

Blazer Aluminum Case has a very good reputation for accuracy in Glocks.

I know of many competition shooter who prefer it over any other.

500 rounds is a very small sample, but if the defect rate really is 10% on the Herters, that would make it a no go...
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12   #4
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

I've had no issues with the CCI Blazer aluminum ammo. In fact, I just shot a box of 'em yesterday. Any accuracy problems ain't the ammo in my case!!!!

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51   #5
Jeff Hughes

Quote:
I do not fire more than 100 rounds per range session.
Why not shoot more?

That's not really much of a range session...
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34   #6
vulcan71

Answer to Questions or Statements

I live in a Milwaukee so I shoot mainly on weekends where in-door ranges limit your time to 1 hour so I shot up to 100 cartridges per firearm and I usually bring at least three or more so I do not shoot 100 cartridges per range session as that would be a waste of paid range time. In the summer I travel to different ranges in-door and out-door this is the time where I can shoot all day.

As to the sample, it is based on my experience while using the ammo and is not intended to be a scientific measurement. I have read and contributed to the rating forum at Cabelaís regarding this ammunition and people either like it (no issues) or do not like it (many issues) so I am taking a neutral position as I like the ammunition but I do not like how many defective cartridges I have found in what I have purchased and what I found on the store shelf so I have examined many boxes. The ammunition examined is from many different lots (at least 20) due to buying the ammunition over many trips or online.

I have no position on Blazer products and I have used the blazer 40 S&W ammunition in aluminum cartridges on a few occasions and have found the product to be of good quality. I bought the Herterís product because I wanted to try a Nyclad bullet and I kept buying because that was all that was available. I stopped buying the ammunition when my pistol jammed due a defective cartridge and that is when I discovered the issues.

In closing I am taking a neutral position on the Herterís Select Grade Aluminum Case TNJ Ammo (Nyclad).
Old 05-09-2013, 14:05   #7
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I live in a Milwaukee so I shoot mainly on weekends where in-door ranges limit your time to 1 hour so I shot up to 100 cartridges per firearm and I usually bring at least three or more so I do not shoot 100 cartridges per range session as that would be a waste of paid range time. In the summer I travel to different ranges in-door and out-door this is the time where I can shoot all day.

As to the sample, it is based on my experience while using the ammo and is not intended to be a scientific measurement. I have read and contributed to the rating forum at Cabelaís regarding this ammunition and people either like it (no issues) or do not like it (many issues) so I am taking a neutral position as I like the ammunition but I do not like how many defective cartridges I have found in what I have purchased and what I found on the store shelf so I have examined many boxes. The ammunition examined is from many different lots (at least 20) due to buying the ammunition over many trips or online.

I have no position on Blazer products and I have used the blazer 40 S&W ammunition in aluminum cartridges on a few occasions and have found the product to be of good quality. I bought the Herterís product because I wanted to try a Nyclad bullet and I kept buying because that was all that was available. I stopped buying the ammunition when my pistol jammed due a defective cartridge and that is when I discovered the issues.

In closing I am taking a neutral position on the Herterís Select Grade Aluminum Case TNJ Ammo (Nyclad).

I am neutral about this odd ammo also. I wonder if they make JHP bullets?
Old 05-09-2013, 15:50   #8
vulcan71

No only 9x19 mm 115gr TNJ-RN, 40 S&W 165gr TNJ-FN and 45 ACP TNJ-RN, Federal has brought back the Nyclad but I have only seen it in 38 Special 125gr HP #P38MA.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55   #9
frogmorton11

I bought a box of the .45 Herters Al case TNJ and used some this weekend in my g30sf. Worst ammo I have ever used. Wildly inaccurate. I couldn't believe what wild patterns this thing threw. And yes, I have run many a round through this gun and it and I shoot just fine. The last straw was when I got a fail to feed. First ever in this gun. On inspecting the unspent cases, they had obvious bulges around the bullet. I gave the rest of the box to another guy at the range and won't be buying any more.

Last edited by frogmorton11; 06-18-2013 at 06:57..
frogmorton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 19:43   #10
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Never heard of it before this. I have nyclad for my jframe.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 22:55   #11
WinterWizard

Quote:
The negatives: the 9mm Luger 115gr TNJ had a defective rate of 10% based on 500 cartridges purchased.
Sounds like junk to me.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02   #12
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I fire a flintlock more times than that in a range session!!
That must be a week long range session.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herter's tnj, nyclad