Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:06   #126
xArcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Why should a police officer not be able to skip the background check?

Is the requirements for a CCW permit more stringent than a police officers requirements??
1. Because the PO does not have a CHL/CCW as required by the law to skip the background check.

2. I do not know.

What does this have to with the size of LEO magazines vs non LEO magazines?

Last edited by xArcher; 06-23-2013 at 08:07.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09   #127
xArcher

[QUOTE=Ohio Copper;20396038]I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?/QUOTE]

No.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13   #128
Ohio Copper

Still not getting it, eh?

NEXT!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15   #129
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
1. Because the PO does not have a CHL/CCW as required by the law to skip the background check.

2. I do not know.

What does this have to with the size of LEO magazines vs non LEO magazines?
At this point it's clear you're either too dense to actually participate in this conversation or just trolling, either way, move along.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28   #130
Vigilant

Quote:
Are all careers the same?

How many people have you, personally put in prison?

Or KEEP in prison? As a state CO, I missed qualification for LEOSA by just one point: I do not have power of arrest on the street. If anyone should be pissed that the coppers get it and they don't, it should be folks like me. However, there are reasons why I support LEOSA as it stands.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30   #131
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Or KEEP in prison? As a state CO, I missed qualification for LEOSA by just one point: I do not have power of arrest on the street. If anyone should be pissed that the coppers get it and they don't, it should be folks like me. However, there are reasons why I support LEOSA as it stands.
You've got my vote for the change, brother.
Absolute BS you folks don't qualify. I hope you at least CCW!

Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08   #132
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Realize that many perks of your job can be vested and carried over into retirement. I don't begrudge anyone who has theirs from their choice of careers.

Heck, my mom retired from a major airline and she vests her retirement medical AND she gets free flights, just pay the airport taxes and fees. That means she flies FIRST CLASS internationally for a few hundred bucks. It's a perk she earned for putting in decades at the airport, exposed to the chemicals and noise all her life.

You want free flights, go work for an airline. It is what it is.
Yup. One of my college buddies loves to travel. Ended up working for an airline just so he can fly anywhere (practically for free) at the drop of a hat. Every weekend, don't know if he's in town or on the other side of the equator.

Same thing for teachers. How many people became teachers because, among other perks, they loved the idea of getting summers off, week of christmas/new years off, Easter week off, etc...

Where I'm at, there are a number of private K-12 schools (average tuition is about $20K a year). And their teachers (active and retired) can send their own children to any of these private schools for free, or with steep discounts. Not a bad perk.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-23-2013 at 09:14..
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10   #133
clancy

Quote:
I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?

As long as you are an active duty cop, my answer is no.

But as one who is not a cop let me ask this. Is a retired cop allowed to make arrests? Is a retired cop exempt from the same laws I have to follow such as in self-defense shootings? Do retired cops get involved in investigations? Or are retired cops just retired?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27   #134
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post

The good new is that your opinion doesn't matter.

But as one who is not a cop let me ask this. Is a retired cop allowed to make arrests?

Yes indeed. Under the same auspices as anyone making a citizens arrest

Is a retired cop exempt from the same laws I have to follow such as in self-defense shootings?

Absolutely not. Same legal standards apply.

Do retired cops get involved in investigations?

They can and do step up on a regular basis to intervene in crimes in progress and to assist with investigations. It's what we do.

Or are retired cops just retired?

We are just retired. With a clientele that do not forget us nor do they forgive us. THAT is one of the major things that sets us apart from YOU!

Now go ahead and cry "Unfair" some more.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:03   #135
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Yup. One of my college buddies loves to travel. Ended up working for an airline just so he can fly anywhere (practically for free) at the drop of a hat. Every weekend, don't know if he's in town or on the other side of the equator.

Same thing for teachers. How many people became teachers because, among other perks, they loved the idea of getting summers off, week of christmas/new years off, Easter week off, etc...

Where I'm at, there are a number of private K-12 schools (average tuition is about $20K a year). And their teachers (active and retired) can send their own children to any of these private schools for free, or with steep discounts. Not a bad perk.
Yep, private colleges around here offer perks. The law school I went to gives their employees a pretty substantial discount for themselves or their children who wish to attend the college. Not just law school, but any school on the campus, undergrad, business, psychology, etc. The discount increases with every year of service. Nice perk... wish I had that when I went. I want it. Now I am going to complain about it until they issue me a refund, with interest!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47   #136
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Just you
I'm not complaining. I'm asking a question. A question you are refusing to answer.

Quote:
A person with a CHL can skip the instant background check. A person without a CHL can not skip the instant background check.

The persons could be a doctor, lawyer, indian chief, white, brown, black, catholic, baptist, jew, muslim, engineer, bus driver, musician, factory worker, military, health care worker, or a retired LEO.

Now explain to me why my magazine should not be the same as a retired LEO.
You're still not answering my question. I know that CHL holders don't have to go through the instant background check. My question to you is this...

Your stance is that all laws should be applied the same to everyone, but the instant background check is an instance in which it isn't and cops don't get the same exemption as CHL holders, so how is this fair and why don't you think it's not fair?

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48   #137
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Quote:
I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?

No.
So then you really don't expect all laws to be applied to everyone evenly?

How does that make sense?

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58   #138
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Your stance is that all laws should be applied the same to everyone, but the instant background check is an instance in which it isn't and cops don't get the same exemption as CHL holders, so how is this fair and why don't you think it's not fair?
But... but... cops can get the same exemption as any of the CHL holders... all they have to do is apply and get the CHL like anyone else... sorta the same as anyone can have the exemptions of a LEO... just apply and become a LEO like anyone else.

Oh wait... did I just make too much sense by applying the same logic across the board?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:28   #139
Vigilant

Quote:
You've got my vote for the change, brother.
Absolute BS you folks don't qualify. I hope you at least CCW!

Thanks for the positive thoughts. Unfortunately, with our state's pay and hiring standards in the prison system, I would be concerned that one of our stinking rocket scientists would screw the whole deal up for everyone.

And yes, I most certainly do CCW. Also keep an MKVI and a cell phone with me when I'm outside the fence. Also an MKIV in the console. On a trip, a long gun rides in the trunk.

Times are changing, and not for the better.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34   #140
Ohio Copper

Quote:

But as one who is not a cop let me ask this. Is a retired cop allowed to make arrests? Is a retired cop exempt from the same laws I have to follow such as in self-defense shootings? Do retired cops get involved in investigations? Or are retired cops just retired?
A self defense shooting that I'm involved in and one you are involved in are exactly the same. It is a homicide; a lot of you guys can't grasp that.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-23-2013, 11:41   #141
ray9898

I don't know why you guys even bother. You know you will never change the opinion of someone who takes the "that isn't fair" stance to begin with. LE will always draw this type of criticism, people question why we get to do various things they can't throughout or career and now into retirement. Some people just have a hard on for anyone with authority and cops are the easiest target because everyone seems to think they could just wake up one day and be the best thing that ever lived behind a badge. The only reason they are not doing it is because they made 'better choices'. Things were great when the private sector was booming, people mocked my profession and didn't know "how you make it on what they pay you". All of a sudden now a few years later I am lucky and "have it made".
Old 06-23-2013, 11:50   #142
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Kettle corn is up! Who wants a bowl?

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Old 06-23-2013, 13:14   #143
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I'll take some, please.
Old 06-23-2013, 14:16   #144
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Yep, private colleges around here offer perks. The law school I went to gives their employees a pretty substantial discount for themselves or their children who wish to attend the college. Not just law school, but any school on the campus, undergrad, business, psychology, etc. The discount increases with every year of service. Nice perk... wish I had that when I went. I want it. Now I am going to complain about it until they issue me a refund, with interest!

Didn't you go to law school at the Universidad de Tijuana?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 06-23-2013, 14:19   #145
Pwhfirefighter

[quote=txleapd;20395798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd

Legitimate answer.... Cops don't get to skip the instant background check.

Wow, I really can't figure that one out.

As a non-LEO that works at a correctional facility and deals directly with those same folks ya'll put in prison, I can understand your sentiments about the possibility of someone looking for revenge. There are a lot of folks in there with a lot of anger.

Last edited by Pwhfirefighter; 06-23-2013 at 14:22..
Old 06-23-2013, 14:41   #146
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Now go ahead and cry "Unfair" some more.
I really get a kick out of your senses of superiority Let me ask you this. Ever hang out in a bar called McCabe's? You sound just like the off duty NYC cops who come in and think that just because they are cops they are entitled to free food, free drinks, and everybody should step aside because they are "NY's finest".

You did a dirty job. I respect that. But when you stopped doing it you became just the same as anyone else. You earned your pension. Apparently you seem to think you earned the right to special treatment. I don't think so, nor do a lot of other people. Irks the hell out of you, doesn't it?
Old 06-23-2013, 14:45   #147
clancy

Quote:
A self defense shooting that I'm involved in and one you are involved in are exactly the same. It is a homicide; a lot of you guys can't grasp that.

No, it is not exactly the same. You make the mistake of thinking the guy has a gun in his hands, odds are you will be ok. Your brother cops will support you, and justifiably so. I make that same mistake, I get to go to prison.
Old 06-23-2013, 14:51   #148
countrygun

Quote:
No, it is not exactly the same. You make the mistake of thinking the guy has a gun in his hands, odds are you will be ok. Your brother cops will support you, and justifiably so. I make that same mistake, I get to go to prison.
You really don't have anything close to a clue about how the legal system in this Country works, do you.

Do you think Grand Juries are made up of retired or current cops?

You are pulling hypotheticals out of your exhaust pipe.
Old 06-23-2013, 15:10   #149
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

[quote=Pwhfirefighter;20396888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post

Wow, I really can't figure that one out.

As a non-LEO that works at a correctional facility and deals directly with those same folks ya'll put in prison, I can understand your sentiments about the possibility of someone looking for revenge. There are a lot of folks in there with a lot of anger.
Case in point... I got called to work today and ended up working 3 cases. A guy arrested in one of those cases made threats about finding me off duty and hurting me. The guy has a violent history and bragged that he looks for cops to provoke them.

If I retired tomorrow and came across this guy on the street, does anyone think he'd just say, "Oh, you're not a cop anymore? It's all good!"?

He was also charged with making Terroristic Threat.

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

Last edited by txleapd; 06-23-2013 at 15:13..
Old 06-23-2013, 15:29   #150
Vigilant

[quote=txleapd;20397027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwhfirefighter View Post

Case in point... I got called to work today and ended up working 3 cases. A guy arrested in one of those cases made threats about finding me off duty and hurting me. The guy has a violent history and bragged that he looks for cops to provoke them.

If I retired tomorrow and came across this guy on the street, does anyone think he'd just say, "Oh, you're not a cop anymore? It's all good!"?

He was also charged with making Terroristic Threat.

I suspect that he resisted a great deal.