GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42   #121
xArcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some 'stan'
Posts: 283
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
He won't answer that one because you have him, cold.
Please, do not assume.
xArcher is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43   #122
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
A person with a CHL can skip the instant background check. A person without a CHL can not skip the instant background check.

The persons could be a doctor, lawyer, indian chief, white, brown, black, catholic, baptist, jew, muslim, engineer, bus driver, musician, factory worker, military, health care worker, or a retired LEO.

Now explain to me why my magazine should not be the same as a retired LEO.
Why should a police officer not be able to skip the background check?


Is the requirements for a CCW permit more stringent than a police officers requirements??


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45   #123
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Please, do not assume.
I can also drive in excess of the posted speed limit with lights and sirens, why can't you?
Do you see how your argument sounds?


You do realize that any step in the right direction in regards to guns is a good step, whether it is solely for LE or not it doesn't matter.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55   #124
xArcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some 'stan'
Posts: 283
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Are all careers the same?



How many people have you, personally put in prison?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Careers are not the same. I was trained to kill thousands of people, with one push of a button, from very long distance. It can keep you awake at night thinking about it.

Non in prison. Some to Captain's Mast, which resulted in Other Than Honorable Discharges. No benefits, no gun rights.

But what does this have to do with magazine capacity?

Last edited by xArcher; 06-23-2013 at 07:57.. Reason: added the last line
xArcher is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05   #125
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Careers are not the same. I was trained to kill thousands of people, with one push of a button, from very long distance. It can keep you awake at night thinking about it.

Non in prison. Some to Captain's Mast, which resulted in Other Than Honorable Discharges. No benefits, no gun rights.

But what does this have to do with magazine capacity?
I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:06   #126
xArcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some 'stan'
Posts: 283
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Why should a police officer not be able to skip the background check?

Is the requirements for a CCW permit more stringent than a police officers requirements??
1. Because the PO does not have a CHL/CCW as required by the law to skip the background check.

2. I do not know.


What does this have to with the size of LEO magazines vs non LEO magazines?

Last edited by xArcher; 06-23-2013 at 08:07.. Reason: spelling
xArcher is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09   #127
xArcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some 'stan'
Posts: 283
Blog Entries: 1
[QUOTE=Ohio Copper;20396038]I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?/QUOTE]


No.
xArcher is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13   #128
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,520
Still not getting it, eh?


NEXT!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15   #129
FiremanMike
Way too busy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
1. Because the PO does not have a CHL/CCW as required by the law to skip the background check.

2. I do not know.


What does this have to with the size of LEO magazines vs non LEO magazines?
At this point it's clear you're either too dense to actually participate in this conversation or just trolling, either way, move along.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer
They made bad choices and expect us to pay the price? I don't think so, Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28   #130
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Are all careers the same?



How many people have you, personally put in prison?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Or KEEP in prison? As a state CO, I missed qualification for LEOSA by just one point: I do not have power of arrest on the street. If anyone should be pissed that the coppers get it and they don't, it should be folks like me. However, there are reasons why I support LEOSA as it stands.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30   #131
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Or KEEP in prison? As a state CO, I missed qualification for LEOSA by just one point: I do not have power of arrest on the street. If anyone should be pissed that the coppers get it and they don't, it should be folks like me. However, there are reasons why I support LEOSA as it stands.
You've got my vote for the change, brother.
Absolute BS you folks don't qualify. I hope you at least CCW!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08   #132
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 12,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Realize that many perks of your job can be vested and carried over into retirement. I don't begrudge anyone who has theirs from their choice of careers.

Heck, my mom retired from a major airline and she vests her retirement medical AND she gets free flights, just pay the airport taxes and fees. That means she flies FIRST CLASS internationally for a few hundred bucks. It's a perk she earned for putting in decades at the airport, exposed to the chemicals and noise all her life.

You want free flights, go work for an airline. It is what it is.
Yup. One of my college buddies loves to travel. Ended up working for an airline just so he can fly anywhere (practically for free) at the drop of a hat. Every weekend, don't know if he's in town or on the other side of the equator.


Same thing for teachers. How many people became teachers because, among other perks, they loved the idea of getting summers off, week of christmas/new years off, Easter week off, etc...

Where I'm at, there are a number of private K-12 schools (average tuition is about $20K a year). And their teachers (active and retired) can send their own children to any of these private schools for free, or with steep discounts. Not a bad perk.
__________________
Although many good citizens in your community may own and carry guns, keeping the community safe still fall on those who carry badges.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-23-2013 at 09:14..
Patchman is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10   #133
clancy
Senior Member
 
clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

As long as you are an active duty cop, my answer is no.

But as one who is not a cop let me ask this. Is a retired cop allowed to make arrests? Is a retired cop exempt from the same laws I have to follow such as in self-defense shootings? Do retired cops get involved in investigations? Or are retired cops just retired?
clancy is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27   #134
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member
 
seanmac45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 6,113


Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
As long as you are an active duty cop, my answer is no.

The good new is that your opinion doesn't matter.

But as one who is not a cop let me ask this. Is a retired cop allowed to make arrests?

Yes indeed. Under the same auspices as anyone making a citizens arrest

Is a retired cop exempt from the same laws I have to follow such as in self-defense shootings?

Absolutely not. Same legal standards apply.

Do retired cops get involved in investigations?


They can and do step up on a regular basis to intervene in crimes in progress and to assist with investigations. It's what we do.

Or are retired cops just retired?

We are just retired. With a clientele that do not forget us nor do they forgive us. THAT is one of the major things that sets us apart from YOU!

Now go ahead and cry "Unfair" some more.
__________________
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway
seanmac45 is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:03   #135
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,520
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Yup. One of my college buddies loves to travel. Ended up working for an airline just so he can fly anywhere (practically for free) at the drop of a hat. Every weekend, don't know if he's in town or on the other side of the equator.

Same thing for teachers. How many people became teachers because, among other perks, they loved the idea of getting summers off, week of christmas/new years off, Easter week off, etc...

Where I'm at, there are a number of private K-12 schools (average tuition is about $20K a year). And their teachers (active and retired) can send their own children to any of these private schools for free, or with steep discounts. Not a bad perk.
Yep, private colleges around here offer perks. The law school I went to gives their employees a pretty substantial discount for themselves or their children who wish to attend the college. Not just law school, but any school on the campus, undergrad, business, psychology, etc. The discount increases with every year of service. Nice perk... wish I had that when I went. I want it. Now I am going to complain about it until they issue me a refund, with interest!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47   #136
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Just you
I'm not complaining. I'm asking a question. A question you are refusing to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
A person with a CHL can skip the instant background check. A person without a CHL can not skip the instant background check.

The persons could be a doctor, lawyer, indian chief, white, brown, black, catholic, baptist, jew, muslim, engineer, bus driver, musician, factory worker, military, health care worker, or a retired LEO.

Now explain to me why my magazine should not be the same as a retired LEO.
You're still not answering my question. I know that CHL holders don't have to go through the instant background check. My question to you is this...

Your stance is that all laws should be applied the same to everyone, but the instant background check is an instance in which it isn't and cops don't get the same exemption as CHL holders, so how is this fair and why don't you think it's not fair?




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is online now  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48   #137
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I can carry in all 50 states and places you aren't permitted to. Does that upset you as well?

No.
So then you really don't expect all laws to be applied to everyone evenly?

How does that make sense?




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is online now  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58   #138
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,520
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Your stance is that all laws should be applied the same to everyone, but the instant background check is an instance in which it isn't and cops don't get the same exemption as CHL holders, so how is this fair and why don't you think it's not fair?
But... but... cops can get the same exemption as any of the CHL holders... all they have to do is apply and get the CHL like anyone else... sorta the same as anyone can have the exemptions of a LEO... just apply and become a LEO like anyone else.

Oh wait... did I just make too much sense by applying the same logic across the board?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 11:28   #139
Vigilant
Senior Member
 
Vigilant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside the Perimeter
Posts: 8,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
You've got my vote for the change, brother.
Absolute BS you folks don't qualify. I hope you at least CCW!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Thanks for the positive thoughts. Unfortunately, with our state's pay and hiring standards in the prison system, I would be concerned that one of our stinking rocket scientists would screw the whole deal up for everyone.

And yes, I most certainly do CCW. Also keep an MKVI and a cell phone with me when I'm outside the fence. Also an MKIV in the console. On a trip, a long gun rides in the trunk.

Times are changing, and not for the better.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum
Vigilant is offline  
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34   #140
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
As long as you are an active duty cop, my answer is no.

But as one who is not a cop let me ask this. Is a retired cop allowed to make arrests? Is a retired cop exempt from the same laws I have to follow such as in self-defense shootings? Do retired cops get involved in investigations? Or are retired cops just retired?
A self defense shooting that I'm involved in and one you are involved in are exactly the same. It is a homicide; a lot of you guys can't grasp that.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:25.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,178
344 Members
834 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31