GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 22:10   #1
Keeperofthedew
Senior Member
 
Keeperofthedew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 521
traffic stop question

So I drive an older two door car and the driver's side window doesn't work. How do I deal with that on a traffic stop?
Normally I'd have the dome light on, my hands on the wheel with DL etc. in them, the window down and the car off by the time the officer approaches, but I don't think it would be the best idea to just pop the door open as the officer approaches.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks.
__________________
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Keeperofthedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 22:14   #2
blueiron
Clown move, bro
 
blueiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On the corner of Gang and Ghetto
Posts: 13,602
If the window doesn't work, simply tell the officer that at the time of the stop. It is simple enough to adapt.
__________________
Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 22:50   #3
rockapede
Senior Member
 
rockapede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperofthedew View Post
So I drive an older two door car and the driver's side window doesn't work. How do I deal with that on a traffic stop?
Normally I'd have the dome light on, my hands on the wheel with DL etc. in them, the window down and the car off by the time the officer approaches, but I don't think it would be the best idea to just pop the door open as the officer approaches.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks.
You're on to something there. Popping the door open on me unexpectedly is bad ju-ju. Happens often enough that I'm "used" to it and don't over-react, but I often use my big boy voice and customers occasionally think it's "mean".

Just tell the officer through the window when he arrives at your door.
__________________
“Do you like being a cop?"
"I love it, when it doesn't suck, sir.”

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 23:31   #4
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
You're on to something there. Popping the door open on me unexpectedly is bad ju-ju. Happens often enough that I'm "used" to it and don't over-react, but I often use my big boy voice and customers occasionally think it's "mean".

Just tell the officer through the window when he arrives at your door.
This. And for the love of all that is holy, stay in the damn car, unless instructed to do otherwise. It absolutely boggles my mind how many people want to step out and do God knows what while I'm writing their ticket, and then get 6 kinds of butt hurt when I go into authoritarian mode with them. Sigh...
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:59   #5
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned
 
RyanNREMTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 4,721
Just put a note on the window for the officer that says if you roll down the window the Earth will explode. The officer should tip his hat and say "Good day sir" and walk back to his car.

Or you can just follow what the others have offered.
__________________
Support Free Range Shopping Carts on Facebook.
RyanNREMTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:21   #6
4949shooter
Senior Member
 
4949shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey Republik
Posts: 12,957


Most of the guys I work with approach on the passenger side anyway.
__________________
"...the men under your command deserve your leadership."-OXCOPS
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:21   #7
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
Best to carry a note with words written in big sized letters and hold it up with both hands and yell to the officer the window is busted just in case he can't hear you. Open the passenger window before the officer gets there. Turn on all interior lights.

Keep it simple. "WINDOW BROKEN, CAN'T OPEN!"

Then await instructions... some might disagree but never hurts to be prepared in advance just in case you get pulled over on a highway or where it's noisy and the officer can't hear you as you yell and gesticulate wildly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00   #8
ditchdoc24
Senior Member
 
ditchdoc24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Most of the guys I work with approach on the passenger side anyway.
This is what I do. Freaks people out especially since I almost always work at night.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25   #9
lovetofly08
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arkansas/Texas
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
This. And for the love of all that is holy, stay in the damn car, unless instructed to do otherwise. It absolutely boggles my mind how many people want to step out and do God knows what while I'm writing their ticket, and then get 6 kinds of butt hurt when I go into authoritarian mode with them. Sigh...

This! I can't agree more. If you do have to open the door don't get upset when things start to get aggressive. Once the officer knows let him tell you what to do.
I had one the other night that kept tryin to exit the vehicle after being instructed very firmly to stay in the vehicle at least 4 time. He became compliant really fast when he looked back and saw I meant it.
lovetofly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:05   #10
4949shooter
Senior Member
 
4949shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey Republik
Posts: 12,957


Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc24 View Post
This is what I do. Freaks people out especially since I almost always work at night.
It catches them off guard, which is always good for us in terms of staying alive.
__________________
"...the men under your command deserve your leadership."-OXCOPS
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32   #11
wrenrj1
Senior Member
 
wrenrj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Huskerville
Posts: 10,280
Fix the window, problem solved...
__________________
We are told by our government NOT to judge Muslims by the actions of a few crazies. We are also told by this same government TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few crazies.
wrenrj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:41   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Fix the window, problem solved...
Too simple and logically. Will never work in real world.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31   #13
smokeross
GTDS Member #49
 
smokeross's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,263
Just point towards the top of the window with your longest finger. The cop will get it open for you.
__________________
Originally Posted by GTFor died instantly because his lungs froze from breathing in Arctic air.
Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies.
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:48   #14
Glock Holliday
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc24 View Post
This is what I do. Freaks people out especially since I almost always work at night.
Same here. The first time I saw a right side contact, I was driving through California on vacation (early 1980's) and I saw a CHP officer making a right side contact... I thought that was a damn good idea and I started doing it that way.

An inoperable window isn't a big deal, I usually open the door for them so we can talk.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Glock Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57   #15
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Fix the window, problem solved...
It is his God given right to have a broken window!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:09   #16
ditchdoc24
Senior Member
 
ditchdoc24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Holliday View Post
Same here. The first time I saw a right side contact, I was driving through California on vacation (early 1980's) and I saw a CHP officer making a right side contact... I thought that was a damn good idea and I started doing it that way.

An inoperable window isn't a big deal, I usually open the door for them so we can talk.
I love it when folks open the door for me. Gives me a nice view into the vehicle.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00   #17
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
bigdogmurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hardy va.
Posts: 265
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Just point towards the top of the window with your longest finger. The cop will get it open for you.
No I am not LEO. But I enjoy a good laugh. Stay safe officers.
bigdogmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14   #18
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 10,239
Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
It catches them off guard, which is always good for us in terms of staying alive.
Until you stop the one car that's bare bones and has manual windows and the driver can't reach to roll it down...
__________________
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28   #19
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Until you stop the one car that's bare bones and has manual windows and the driver can't reach to roll it down...
Make him.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54   #20
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 10,239
Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Make him.
What if he has stumpy T-rex arms?

Cop Talk
__________________
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:34.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 840
187 Members
653 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42