Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2013, 14:49   #1
WheelinArcher

Tungsten recoil spring rod for Gen 3 G19

I am considering installing a tungsten rod in my G19. I am wondering if anyone else installed one and do you like the weight difference and if you had to do it again, would you have installed the lighter stainless steel rod. I know that the stock rod is fine and I had thousands of rounds on my G34 before installing a stainless rod, but my thoughts are that I may get smaller groups double tapping with the additional weight up front.
WheelinArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:00   #2
ede
Bama's Friend

not enough weight to notice unless you're trying to pick up .001 seconds on your splits. You ought to see a reduction in your splits by increasing your slide speed and the Ti rod will sure help in ease of changing springs.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:06   #3
WheelinArcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
not enough weight to notice unless you're trying to pick up .001 seconds on your splits. You ought to see a reduction in your splits by increasing your slide speed and the Ti rod will sure help in ease of changing springs.
Do you feel that its not worth the price difference of the stainless rod then?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09   #4
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

No, you won't get smaller groups with the aftermarket rod. Stay stock unless you're hand loading and need to change spring weight.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:13   #5
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
No, you won't get smaller groups with the aftermarket rod. Stay stock unless you're hand loading and need to change spring weight.
Have to agree here. With the stainless/tungsten guide rods you also create another metal on metal contact point in the pistol that may bind without lubrication causing malfunctions. I know some people who have had this issue. As Ryobi said, if you don't need to change spring rates, you are best off sticking with the stock guide rod.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47   #6
emptyshell

Have one installed on my G20 for a couple years now. Love it. No malfunctions. The only "upgrade" i made. Definitely less flip, especially with stouter loads. As for your groups getting tighter...debatable.
emptyshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00   #7
sa227driver
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Have to agree here. With the stainless/tungsten guide rods you also create another metal on metal contact point in the pistol that may bind without lubrication causing malfunctions. I know some people who have had this issue. As Ryobi said, if you don't need to change spring rates, you are best off sticking with the stock guide rod.
Had the same problem with my first ever Glock, a Gen3 19. I fell for all the hype surrounding stainless and tungsten guide rods. I installed one in my 19 and had a lot of "failure to return to battery" issues. The metal on metal contact and not keeping it lubed enough caused those issues. So I dumped the stainless guide rod and picked up three spare RSAs instead and just swap them out on a MX schedule.

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle"--Psalm 144:1
sa227driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:12   #8
Bruce M

While not frequent I have read enough reports of relaibility issues to avoid other than the OEM RSA. I do not think I have heard any reliability issues with Wolfe and would probably go with them if I needed to vary spring weights.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 09-02-2013 at 08:12..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37   #9
WheelinArcher

Thanks all...great advice...I appreciate the input!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56   #10
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
Generally - true. In standard frame G22 I can feel the front end slightly heavier compared to the oem polymer rod. If not mistaking the tungsten rod is close to 40-50g vs the 15g for the polymer-one.
I do use "lighter" 15# spring and this will help little bit with the slide speed, the cycle is faster.
When we are talking about a compact g19 frame, in theory, one would feel the heavier guide rod less but the effect of faster moving slide if one goes for the lower weight spring will be pronounced, means - it'll help for your follow up shots by having faster cycle, I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079
With the stainless/tungsten guide rods you also create another metal on metal contact point in the pistol that may bind without lubrication causing malfunctions. I know some people who have had this issue.
Again, if we're talking about shorter than standard size G17/22 frames, this is a valid point but not because of metal to metal friction issues ( IMHO), mostly because of the specifics of the shorter frame locking/unlocking angles and the flex of the frame and the original polymer rod (in Glocks), with the rigid metal rod you loosing those properties in Glock platform, which is more of a factor for malfunctions than metal to metal rubbing... If metal to metal was big issue, no other manufacturers would make compact and sub-compact guns with metal rods... I believe, Roger knows people with issues in a compact frame guns, I never heard about issue with standard size Glock using metal rod, I have only few thousand rounds with my .40 barrel, close to a thousand with my .357sig barrel, about a thousand with my 40-9 LWD conversion with the same G22 slide and probably 2K with my G17 slide, using the same frame and same tungsten guide rod with 15# spring, never had any issues related to it...
I understand that my experience doesn't mean that someone else would not have issues, I only find metal to metal not to be the main issue when we are talking about short frame guns, it could be of course, but there are more things to eliminate if one have malfunctions, before you get to the metal to metal issue...
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
.38 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09   #11
SCmasterblaster

I've had a stock RSA in my G17 since 1989 - no problems.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50   #12
thinkfast

Despite all the advice to the contrary, I did the stainless and tungsten rods on a G23 and a G27. Personally, never noticed any difference whatsoever. Luckily, I was able to sell those for nearly what I paid.
Old 09-04-2013, 17:24   #13
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Researched them a lot, decided it was a long way to go for not much gain. YMMV
Old 09-04-2013, 23:30   #14
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I went with a SS one. After a 100 rounds I went back to OEM plastic, it seems to work best to me.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:32   #15
Jeffco

Can't speak to SS rods in Glock, I did install them in a P226 Sig and a P239 Sig and frankly didn't notice much difference. Save your money.
Jeffco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:06   #16
Muffins
Range is hot!

I use a stainless steel guide rod mainly because i think it looks cool. I also have a lonewolf barrel, so when the slide is locked back there is a lot of shininess going on and it makes me happy. A couple 1000 rounds later and it runs flawless. I do not have any doubt that it will continue to do so.
Muffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49   #17
Sgt_Gold

Tungsten is a fairly brittle metal compared to stainless steel. The heavier tungsten rods are fairly popular in bullseye circles because they really flatten out the recoil of the already light target loads. The problem is they also break without warning, and when this happens the gun locks up. They are best left for range guns.
Sgt_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote