Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:08   #1
sigjack

Trigger pull empty vs loaded

Hope this isn't a REALLY stupid question, but when I dry fire my g 21 I feel a smooth easy break. However, when I am live firing, it seems that the break is longer in coming.

Does anyone else experience this?
sigjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59   #2
Muffins
Range is hot!

I generally experience the opposite. I do A LOT of dry firing. Most of the time with dummy rounds, sometimes empty. I feel like its longer when empty because the firing pin goes a little further and slams into the breach face. Where as if theres a dummy round the tip of the pin will hit it sooner. If theres a round chambered i would think the break would be a little shorter.

Get a few dummy rounds and dry fire and you'll notice a difference. Since there is no explosion to throw the gun around you'll see how having something in the chamber vs. it being empty will change it just a bit.

Last edited by Muffins; 09-04-2013 at 11:02..
Muffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13   #3
RimShot
Meat Puppet

I can only speak to the full-sized frames (specifically G17 & G20), however I haven't noticed any difference in trigger-pull when live- or dry-firing...

...except for a much louder noise and quite a bit of kick. Which is really throwing off my aim.

Side-Note: This thread should be in General Glocking and not in the Test-Posts Here section. I know the layout of the site can be a bit complex at first, but the "bread crumbs" at the top help.
(That part that says "Glock Talk > Site News & Support > Test-Posts Here")
When Im king youll be first against the wall - Radiohead
RimShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:35   #4
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Get a few dummy rounds and dry fire and you'll notice a difference. Since there is no explosion to throw the gun around you'll see how having something in the chamber vs. it being empty will change it just a bit.
Nope, it is the same. Once the FP is released by the sear, the FP is "on its own" traveling towards the primer. The sear release doesn't change location or pressure depending upon if there is a round (live or dummy) in the chamber - or not.
Old 09-04-2013, 17:04   #5
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I can tell the difference in certain individual Glocks.

Watch the slide carefully when you slowly pull the trigger. On some guns you can see the slide lift up slightly as the trigger is pulled and this can affect how the trigger pull feels.

With snap caps in the magazine the bottom round forces the slide slightly upward so there is nowhere for it to go. Consequently you may get a trigger pull with a little less creep and it will be a little smoother.

That is the only difference I have noticed.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 09-04-2013 at 17:05..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 22:23   #6
Muffins
Range is hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
Nope, it is the same. Once the FP is released by the sear, the FP is "on its own" traveling towards the primer. The sear release doesn't change location or pressure depending upon if there is a round (live or dummy) in the chamber - or not.
I really wasn't referring to that or how the trigger felt. I meant that when the firing pin is released it feels more violent slamming into the back of the breach face versus hitting a dummy round in the chamber. The timing of that "click" you hear is a little different also. It might not have anything to do with what the OP is talking about but thats the first thing that came to mind when i read this post.
Put a dummy round in and pull the trigger. Now pull it on empty. The way the gun feels is different, because theres nothing to cushion the firing pin when it strikes, it just slams into metal, shaking the gun a lot more. I figured maybe that's what he was experiencing or something of that nature. Anyways i just recommend if he's going to dry fire it, dry fire it with dummy rounds.
Muffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06   #7
Shiloh228

PMFJI...

But...when dry-firing, I don't believe the FP "slams into the breech face"...does it? Maybe I'm confused about terminology, but it seems that, if there is nothing between the breech face and the chamber (which is empty), the FP doesn't slam into anything.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10   #8
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh228 View Post
PMFJI...

But...when dry-firing, I don't believe the FP "slams into the breech face"...does it? Maybe I'm confused about terminology, but it seems that, if there is nothing between the breech face and the chamber (which is empty), the FP doesn't slam into anything.
It actually hits the backside of the breech face.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:42   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

I have noticed the same with many guns. I have also noticed that the reason for it is that I concentrate harder on the trigger squeeze and break when I am really shooting, so that rifle trigger that feels smooth when I test it at home is suddenly long and rough when I'm trying to hit a target. It's all mental.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25   #10
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I have noticed the same with many guns. I have also noticed that the reason for it is that I concentrate harder on the trigger squeeze and break when I am really shooting, so that rifle trigger that feels smooth when I test it at home is suddenly long and rough when I'm trying to hit a target. It's all mental.
I was going to say the same. Particularly noticeable when trying to shoot MOA, or less, rifle.

Monday I sighted in these three rifles - "back to back" in the following order:
1. I have a M&P15 with a pretty good trigger when shooting "action rifle", but I really have to work at longer range shots with it. (Burris TAC-30)

2. I recently built a more "precision" AR15, with a JPE trigger/hammer and a very heavy barrel - quite a bit easier to get near MOA (PMC 55 gr. - now I need to develop a load the gun likes - Nikon 3-12 M223)

3. Remington 700-5R. Compared to the others shooting a 3/4 MOA group was almost no effort compared to the others (Leupold VX-7)

« test | Test »