SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2013, 19:35   #1
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Thinking of giving up on Semi Auto shotguns

My model 11 project gun has got me pretty depressed and just sorta wanting to give up on Semi Auto shotguns for good. Finally got it running with the 30 inch barrel, got the short barrel trimmed and ready to go and the cycling issues are back. Meanwhile, my pump guns run like champs. My Mossberg 930 home defense is a project gun foundering in the safe, can't find magazine extensions for them right now due to all the gun craziness (haven't really looked lately, can't afford to anyway). Thinking of just slapping that 30 inch full choke barrel on, put the wood back in it's place and let it rot in my safe.

It bit me on the finger today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 20:03   #2
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I don't like to be frustrated either with guns or cars.
I was always very lucky with the pump shotguns.
Don't really see any need to go auto, so I vote: do it!

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:23   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Pump is the way to go for a fighting shotgun IMO.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18   #4
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Well, I got to looking a little last night, the barrel extension on my "new" barrel is different. I would be willing to bet that is what is causing my troubles.

Old 09-05-2013, 13:41   #5
Blowout

It always seems to be those small differences that can drive you nuts on a project...
Old 09-05-2013, 18:34   #6
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Cheap Semi's rarely run good.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:37   #7
AngelDeville
NoHablaMexican

Sometimes you just need a '97 Winchester to get the job done...

I had an 1100 I got running good, then I sold it.
AngelDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:46   #8
GlockRWH

Ever shoot a Benelli M2? As reliable as a pump and faster cycling. Semi auto all the way!!!
Black Rifle Club #226
GlockRWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:46   #9
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

A properly tuned Saiga 12 has the reliability of an AK. A pleasure to shoot. It doesn't get much better for kicking out ten slugs as fast as you can pull the trigger. (or 20 if you get the drum). I've got two, both work great.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:16   #10
NavyMSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
A properly tuned Saiga 12 has the reliability of an AK. A pleasure to shoot. It doesn't get much better for kicking out ten slugs as fast as you can pull the trigger. (or 20 if you get the drum). I've got two, both work great.
But you can't find a reasonable price on a Saiga anymore. Everybody converts them and ask over $1200 for them. Forget that.
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:23   #11
firefoxcobra

My model 11 project gun has got me pretty depressed and just sorta wanting to give up on Semi Auto shotguns for good. Finally got it running with the 30 inch barrel, got the short barrel trimmed and ready to go and the cycling issues are back. Meanwhile, my pump guns run like champs. My Mossberg 930 home defense is a project gun foundering in the safe, can't find magazine extensions for them right now due to all the gun craziness (haven't really looked lately, can't afford to anyway). Thinking of just slapping that 30 inch full choke barrel on, put the wood back in it's place and let it rot in my safe.

i also have problem on my benelli M1 auto shotgun ever since i bought it. First they advise me to use heavier loads still the darn thing giving a headache. Then i change with after market spring and change the extension tube but on/off i got a stove pipe or failure to eject. Yep... i can feel what you thier bud
firefoxcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:44   #12
Jack Ryan
One more day

Buy a Remington 1100 or 1187.

$300 - $350 all day long at auctions every where.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:56   #13
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Benelli M4
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08   #14
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

When I win the lottery I might get an M4 or a Saiga. Hell.... I might just go out on a limb and say screw it and chop off my good barrel. what the hell do I need a 30 inch full choke barrel for anyway. I did this very thing the other day with the model 97

Old 09-06-2013, 06:10   #15
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I would see about buying another barrel extension if they still made them, they are hard to find.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55   #16
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRWH View Post
Ever shoot a Benelli M2? As reliable as a pump and faster cycling. Semi auto all the way!!!
And with it being inertial (and Comfortech stock), I find the felt recoil is less.
Old 09-06-2013, 13:30   #17
Blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxcobra View Post

i also have problem on my benelli M1 auto shotgun ever since i bought it. First they advise me to use heavier loads still the darn thing giving a headache. Then i change with after market spring and change the extension tube but on/off i got a stove pipe or failure to eject. Yep... i can feel what you thier bud
On the M1-
Could be your extractor or extractor spring. Strip the bolt down and clean everything and check for damaged parts.
Old 09-06-2013, 19:44   #18
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMSU View Post
But you can't find a reasonable price on a Saiga anymore. Everybody converts them and ask over $1200 for them. Forget that.
Saiga's are more than they used to be, but $725 still gets you one if you want to convert it yourself: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

True, you'll spend a couple hundred more doing the conversion (or more, you can always keep adding stuff), but at least the guns are out there. Out of the box, it'll shoot slugs and buckshot fine, could need some simple modding to fire birdshot (enlarging gas ports, a common problem, at least a few years back).
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 21:42   #19
NavyMSU

I have a Center Balanced Systems bullpup kit in mind if I get my hands on a Saiga... No conversion necessary.
NavyMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:51   #20
DukeNukem

Browning A5's have worked well for me, Benellis seem to run good and so do Berettas. I've had friends recommend me the Stoegers too. They are supposed to be the same action as Benelli and half the price. My duck hunting friends say none of the autos are totally reliable in the duck hunting conditions but most run one of the 3 I mentioned.
DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote