Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2013, 21:05   #1
Mike Rittenour

Bug Out Bag For Daughter

Ok Ladies, Need you all to chime in here. IM putting a BOB together for my 18 year old daughter, She is on the eastern shore of MD. Shes about 3 hours away from us and I want her to have something, just in case. Can you give me some suggestions. She cannot have a fire arm as she is living on campus, But everything else is fair game! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24   #2
Victoriagotagun

Everything you would put in a regular BOB...first aid kit, knife, maybe a map of the area or to get to you etc. Have her put her own feminine products of her choice in it.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:12   #3
jimsmith1941

Bugout bag

A can of wasp "killer" may be a good item. It will shoot a stream of the spray quite a few feet. A shot in the eyes would incapacitate someone.
jimsmith1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:55   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith1941 View Post
A can of wasp "killer" may be a good item. It will shoot a stream of the spray quite a few feet. A shot in the eyes would incapacitate someone.
Does it burn (flame thrower)?
Old 09-05-2013, 18:31   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

The first question is how much can she really carry and how far does she need to carry it?

For the most part I find most people who talk about BOBs what to pack everything and then some. I am testing my BOB as I try to bicycle the C&O. Let me tell you, I am dropping a lot of stuff I thought I needed. This being said, if things are packed in sub-kits, she can drop/leave stuff as she decides she shouldn't need....

Some items I would not drop:
Small med kit in a nalgene bottle. Put in a heat pack and ice pack (the ones where you mix stuff and they get hot or cold). Put the normal drugs she uses (Advil, Zertech, Anti-runs, anti constipated). Put in bandaids.

Hand warmers.

Cold weather sleeping bag. If possible, I would suggest a gorx cover. This would allow her to sleep on the ground in the snow if necessary. But would be most likely used to sleep inside a car or ....if the power goes out.

medium sized pocket knife, Spyderco manix2
Swiss army knife
Gerber tool with pointy plyers and socket set

Spare cloths, something she likes, something used, something she can live without and not touch it until it is needed. This includes shoes because she may need to bug out when wearing high heals.

Odds are she will not need to survive in the wilderness so a lot of that stuff doesn't need to be there.

Anything she doesn't know how to use can go also.

You need to work out a bug out plan to get her home or to a safe location. This includes phone numbers for someone out of state.
Old 09-05-2013, 23:29   #6
Mike Rittenour

She goes to college on the eastern shore, so realistically it would be more a bug in bag, but i want it to do both functions. She 5 foot nothin, but tough as nails.
Old 09-06-2013, 00:00   #7
AZ Husker

I'm proud of my active duty daughter. She knows what she needs and when at home it is in a ruck right by the door. Maybe more females should take this path instead of making men carry the load.
Old 09-06-2013, 00:07   #8
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Not a "Lady". But, A good pistol. keep it under wraps (unknown to anybody else) unless she needs it.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:08   #9
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith1941 View Post
Generally NOT a legally recommended alternative for pepper spray that is sold for this purpose.

Last edited by SARDG; 09-06-2013 at 14:08..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:26   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Not a "Lady". But, A good pistol. keep it under wraps (unknown to anybody else) unless she needs it.
If not legally allowed, what you are suggesting it illegal. We could be having a thread about how she broke the rule/law and is arrested, expelled....
Old 09-06-2013, 17:05   #11
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
If not legally allowed, what you are suggesting it illegal. We could be having a thread about how she broke the rule/law and is arrested, expelled....
Yeah... lots of illegal suggestions on GT - or at the very least, suggestions for things that would give a prosecutor a field day. Follow those at your own risk!

One poster once suggested that I shoot a purse snatcher in the back if he was running away with my purse and I was still armed. Not exactly legally and morally acceptable to shoot someone in the back...
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:10   #12
windancr

Besides the usual things recommended, a couple of flares.
A solo stove, and steel cup for cooking and drinking, binoculars. An extra cell phone. An emergency credit/debit card, cash in small bills. Candy. individually wrapped hard candy.
How much can she carry in her pockets? Extra pair of reading glasses.
That is three hours by car?

Alex
windancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:25   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windancr View Post
Besides the usual things recommended, a couple of flares.
A solo stove, and steel cup for cooking and drinking, binoculars. An extra cell phone. An emergency credit/debit card, cash in small bills. Candy. individually wrapped hard candy.
How much can she carry in her pockets? Extra pair of reading glasses.
That is three hours by car?
YES!!

But where you say solo stove, I say alcohol altoids tin stove. big enough to boil water, small enough to pack.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:07   #14
windancr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
YES!!

But where you say solo stove, I say alcohol altoids tin stove. big enough to boil water, small enough to pack.
I recommended Solo Stove because it uses such a small amount of fuel to cook, and uses small pieces of wood, including pine cones, I have no experience with the alcohol stoves. How long does the fuel last? Can you carry a small bottle of denatured alcohol with you safely?

My thoughts on Solo Stove is the fuel should be easy to find and replenish as needed along most any route you have to walk

Alex
windancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:53   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windancr View Post
I recommended Solo Stove because it uses such a small amount of fuel to cook, and uses small pieces of wood, including pine cones, I have no experience with the alcohol stoves. How long does the fuel last? Can you carry a small bottle of denatured alcohol with you safely?

My thoughts on Solo Stove is the fuel should be easy to find and replenish as needed along most any route you have to walk
I don't want to derail this thread, but I will add one post. We may need to do this in another thread.

There are many different alcohol stoves. I am recommending a do it yourself Altoids tin because of the size and the fact that it can be used indoors. You could carry a bottle of everclear, rubbing alcohol, or denatured alcohol. I found that I can cook dinner (boil water for coco and backpacker meal) in freezing temperatures with the alcohol stored in a hotel shampoo bottle (1 oz?). I will be using a 12oz pepsi bottle for an up coming trip. There is a reason why it gets used on the AT so much.

This is not an EOTWAWKI solution. If you are living outside then picking up wood for a fire is an option. For someone who should never be staying outside.......