Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:44   #41
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faux King View Post
Black Rifle Forum

Put another 400 rounds down range yesterday while I zeroed the aimpoint. I love shooting this gun! Now if I were only smart enough to post pictures....
You need the URL of the photo itself, not the Flickr page it's posted on. I was able to see it by copy/pasting the URL. You might want to use Imageshack or something similar as a host, since other sites are set up for hosting photos for use on forums.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47   #42
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspez View Post
Any of you fellows use Ballistol on your AR's?
You probably won't hear of too many people using it here. FrogLube, SLIP 2000 (my preference), and even Fire Clean seem fairly popular hear, along with the basic stuff like CLP.
Old 08-31-2013, 17:44   #43
Locojmc
Native Texan

Great choice, congrats!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 19:21   #44
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Congrats. Starting with a FINE AR.

My transfer FFL (hell of a nice guy) once said 'there is something special about a Colt AR. It just looks better". And he was right. I have several brands, home brew Stag, RRA, BCM, Bushmaster, and SW. And I have to say, there IS something special about a Colt AR.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?

Last edited by Rooster Rugburn; 08-31-2013 at 19:21..
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 20:50   #45
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Black Rifle Forum

Thanks everyone (and special thanks to Plank for suggesting tinypic). I plan to go punch more paper before my fantasy football drafts tomorrow!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:55   #46
Cirdan

OK, based on what you guys have said, I pulled my AR (Windham SRC) out of the case. Now what do I do with it? Anyone have any good storage ideas for a single long-rifle? My pistols are in a safe. Doesn't seem smart to pay $800+ for a gun safe for one rifle.
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25   #47
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my H866C using Ohub Campfire mobile app
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:10   #48
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
There are chamber brushes specifically made for AR-15s.

The bronze section is for the chamber, and the steel section cleans the inside of the locking lugs in the barrel extension.

The brush is the easy part. You really need a dedicated short rod on a non-swiveling handle. Brownell's sells a Dewey rod for just this purpose for not a lot of dough and you can also purchase the chamber brushes from Brownells in bulk much cheaper than buying them individually as well. While you are at it buy a bag of 1,000 cleaning patches and save dough there.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 16:50   #49
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Copy that, Big Bird. I also plan on getting some frog lube to try out. Just installed a hogue grip, Magpul ACS-L stock, and an "accurizing" wedge before going to the range this morning. Much better ergonomics than what came with the gun, and there are no more wiggles in the stock and lower/upper assembly -- which helps squelch my OCD!

Black Rifle Forum
Old 09-06-2013, 17:39   #50
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Cirdan, check to see if you have open cell or closed cell foam in the case.

Simply leaving the case open, or adding desiccant packs will help.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 17:56   #51
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
The brush is the easy part. You really need a dedicated short rod on a non-swiveling handle. Brownell's sells a Dewey rod for just this purpose for not a lot of dough and you can also purchase the chamber brushes from Brownells in bulk much cheaper than buying them individually as well. While you are at it buy a bag of 1,000 cleaning patches and save dough there.
I use the cheap mil-spec multi-piece rods for that. The chamber brush threads in nicely, and you lock the T-handle to the shaft, then run a different section through the hole to make a non-free-spinning handle for the brush. Works beautifully.

Quote:
Copy that, Big Bird. I also plan on getting some frog lube to try out. Just installed a hogue grip, Magpul ACS-L stock, and an "accurizing" wedge before going to the range this morning. Much better ergonomics than what came with the gun, and there are no more wiggles in the stock and lower/upper assembly -- which helps squelch my OCD!

Black Rifle Forum
****can the accu-wedge. The play in the upper and lower has no effect on accuracy, but the extra tension caused by the wedge CAN egg out the holes in your upper or lower receiver over time.
Old 09-06-2013, 19:35   #52
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I use the cheap mil-spec multi-piece rods for that. The chamber brush threads in nicely, and you lock the T-handle to the shaft, then run a different section through the hole to make a non-free-spinning handle for the brush. Works beautifully.

****can the accu-wedge. The play in the upper and lower has no effect on accuracy, but the extra tension caused by the wedge CAN egg out the holes in your upper or lower receiver over time.
Yeah...that's a solution too. Problem is the GI Cleaning rods run around $9-20 depending on where you get them and for that dough you can just get the dewey rod.

I've got a couple of those GI rods I managed to liberate during my service. But I never get around to digging them out of the old duffle bag.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:36   #53
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Yeah...that's a solution too. Problem is the GI Cleaning rods run around $9-20 depending on where you get them and for that dough you can just get the dewey rod.

I've got a couple of those GI rods I managed to liberate during my service. But I never get around to digging them out of the old duffle bag.
I think I paid $8 for the last kit I got, including bore brush, nylon brush, patch loop and storage pouch.
Old 09-07-2013, 14:28   #54
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Wedge is gone. Didn't buy it for the accuracy gimmick, just wanted to get rid of the wiggle.
Old 09-07-2013, 14:58   #55
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Wedge is gone. Didn't buy it for the accuracy gimmick, just wanted to get rid of the wiggle.
The wiggle is something you get used to. Different upper and lower combos will have different levels of wiggle to them.
Old 09-07-2013, 16:33   #56
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Indeed, it's nothing bad & I understand the purpose of not having a custom fit so its not really an issue!
Old 09-08-2013, 16:14   #57
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Placed a bid for a Geissele SSA trigger. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by The Faux King; 09-08-2013 at 16:15..
The Faux King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 18:07   #58
Made in Austria

Good luck with the bit! If you don't win it, I'd get one from bravocompanyusa, or directly from the Geissele website. Both have the SSA trigger in stock for $210, both sources ship very fast too. I have three Geissele suber combat, and one SSA. By far the best upgrade I have done to my AR's.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 09-08-2013 at 18:09..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 19:05   #59
The Faux King
Carry the Zero

Lost it @ 195 -- not a spectacular deal anyway. I'll probably hold off now until next pay period and order one. Need more ammo now anyway I suppose -- starting to run low. You installed the triggers yourself?
Old 09-08-2013, 19:35   #60
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Lost it @ 195 -- not a spectacular deal anyway. I'll probably hold off now until next pay period and order one. Need more ammo now anyway I suppose -- starting to run low. You installed the triggers yourself?
The SSA pops up for sale around $175 pretty frequently. Keep an eye on PSA.