SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2013, 14:32   #151
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
Here is a list of just current Republican US Senators who attended Ivy League schools.

Mike Crapo
John Hoeven
Rob Portman
Pat Toomey
Ted Cruz
plus David Vitter
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:37   #152
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
In my experience education level does not equate to smart. Look how the mainstream media influences the sheeple who by and large are well educated. One example is how people are buying into this notion of bombing Syria because the media is telling them "It's the right thing to do". That is now the catch phrase of this bunch of KOOKS.
Education gives you facts and theories to hopefully better deal with work and life, it does nothing to make you smart.

Sadly a lot of education is motivated by wishful thinking rather than any connection to reality. This can be a hindrance to understanding what is really going on.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:33   #153
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You say he never dropped out of Medical School but was accepted to an MD/PhD program and decided to do the PhD part. It doest work that way. You do two years of Medical School first. So, he must have made the choice to only do the PhD before he ever started Medical School....but you say he wanted to be a Doctor before he began his studies.
"Friend" did a summer rotation in a potential thesis lab and took a basic-research course for MD/PhD students prior to taking any MD courses in the fall. In his first semester, he may have added a PhD course on top of traditional MD classes. Entirely reasonable to assume that he got a taste of PhD research and coursework, subsequently was exposed to MD coursework and ended up choosing the former.

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/pr..._sequence.html
http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/summer/course.html
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:40   #154
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I don't think that one can overstate the role good memory has in being successful in the science disciplines. However, persistence, discipline, and practice are also important and can go far in ensuring success.
Many of my very good ideas come when my memory is worst... i.e. with a few liters beer....

Actually, my memorization sucks. Yet, I have no issues with being successful at science discipline. As an example, right now I am working on an IPG for a deep brain stimulator. There is no memorization because what I am doing hasnt been done before. Basically, a client asked if it could be done..I said "sure"....had no clue if it could...but its working.....
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 16:14   #155
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
... make you smart.

smart- "having or showing a quick-witted intelligence."

Genetics and environment both play a part in how "smart" a person may become.

As far as the environmental component, parents and the development of a child through about age 6 have the most profound impact on that. Don't blame colleges, or even high schools or grade schools for not making people "smart".

Plus there are many "smart" people whom you or I may not think to be smart on casual acquaintance or simply because they have different values than we have.
Old 09-06-2013, 16:21   #156
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
plus David Vitter
That's right, I forgot, he did his undergrad at Harvard and was a Rhodes scholar
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 17:26   #157
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrides85 View Post
"Friend" did a summer rotation in a potential thesis lab and took a basic-research course for MD/PhD students prior to taking any MD courses in the fall. In his first semester, he may have added a PhD course on top of traditional MD classes. Entirely reasonable to assume that he got a taste of PhD research and coursework, subsequently was exposed to MD coursework and ended up choosing the former.

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/pr..._sequence.html
http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/summer/course.html
Yes and here is the exact quote

Quote:
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.
How can that mean anything other than someone starting Medical School. According to your one possible loophole, this guy did one summer class that was not medical school and decided Doctors at Harvard were not that intelligent.

Again, the story is not only factually wrong. (HMS doesn't grant PhDs) it also doesn't make a lot of sense as it is told.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 17:45   #158
DanaT
Pharaoh

Something that is interesting is that one doesn't necessarily have to study at a university to get a Ph.D.

All that is required is the Ph.D. dissertation if a person finds a professor willing to do so and even more likely if one brings a self-funded research project to the university.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 09-06-2013, 18:33   #159
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
We all know when the famine comes, the skinny ones die first.

Regards,
Happyguy
Lol, and quite the opposite when the zombies come.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 18:39   #160
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
1. My son is an MS 1 at an excellent medical school equally attuned to the clinical and research. Several of his fellow MS 1s are Ph.D biochemical guys who want the clinical education to dive full into research. They take biochem in the morning and anatomy lab in the afternoon. One of the four in his anatomy group - the four share a table and a cadaver - is one of the bio-chem Ph.D holders. This guy says MS-1 biochem is hard because the pace is so fast. My son says it is difficult because there is a mountain of material and the test questions are derived from the material not directly about the material. That's not memorization.

2. The Ph.D crowd is great at analyzing data and making graphs and conducting studies. The MD has to take some of that and save the non compliant IV drug user. The deal is both have thier place.
You're absolutely right. MS-1 biochem is annoying and it doesn't help that most people can't teach it right. If your son wants advice on study material biochem to understand the underlying concepts (especially the material for Step 1), PM me. There is one excellent source and it helped me score very well on Step 1.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:05   #161
hpracing007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Something that is interesting is that one doesn't necessarily have to study at a university to get a Ph.D.

All that is required is the Ph.D. dissertation if a person finds a professor willing to do so and even more likely if one brings a self-funded research project to the university.
Interesting, I never knew that.
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:21   #162
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

To the OP:

I would disagree with the statement that education doesn't make most people smart. I think it just comes down to a different set of expectations.

Example: If an MBA from Harvard were unable to manage his/her household finances, that would leave a lasting impression on me. The same financial difficulties from a person who dropped out of school after the eighth grade wouldn't be as much of a surprise.

I am a heavy equipment operator. Most people would look at a lawyer and expect them to be smarter.

But since this is GT, I'll go ahead and say that I'm the smartest person in the world. Not to mention the most athletic, most handsome, best lover, and most charismatic person on the planet.
Old 09-06-2013, 19:23   #163
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
You're absolutely right. MS-1 biochem is annoying and it doesn't help that most people can't teach it right. If your son wants advice on study material biochem to understand the underlying concepts (especially the material for Step 1), PM me. There is one excellent source and it helped me score very well on Step 1.
PM inbound.
Old 09-06-2013, 19:31   #164
Detectorist

Quote:
Many of my very good ideas come when my memory is worst... i.e. with a few liters beer....

Actually, my memorization sucks. Yet, I have no issues with being successful at science discipline. As an example, right now I am working on an IPG for a deep brain stimulator. There is no memorization because what I am doing hasnt been done before. Basically, a client asked if it could be done..I said "sure"....had no clue if it could...but its working.....
My post was in the context of science studies in college.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:57   #165
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:

Are you able to provide proof of this? HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:58   #166
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Go bring a self-funded project to a university and you will find out.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 09-06-2013, 20:06   #167
Trapped_in_Kali

1) The Soviet Union started infiltrating the US Colleges in the 1930s to slant the "education system".
2) The modern education system is not to think, it is to robotically repeat what the professor stated to pass the exam.
3) Most Americans are sheep who will blindly follow their favorite celebrities opinion.
4)..........
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 20:07   #168
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
You need to understand how professors operate. They have 3 duties.

1) Teach
2) Publish
3) Bring in research projects. By bring in research projects, this means bring in projects that bring in money.

The projects are what get published.

No projects, no publishing. No publishing, no credibility and not wanted to teach.

So, when a "student" comes with a funded project that the professor can be in charge of (and get publishing credits on) it is a win-win.

A non-funded student, the university (professors) must find funded projects from them to work on.

When you try and find funded projects, you understand why bringing funding makes for a very good student.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 09-06-2013, 20:12   #169
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
You need to understand how professors operate. They have 3 duties.

1) Teach
2) Publish
3) Bring in research projects. By bring in research projects, this means bring in projects that bring in money.

The projects are what get published.

No projects, no publishing. No publishing, no credibility and not wanted to teach.

So, when a "student" comes with a funded project that the professor can be in charge of (and get publishing credits on) it is a win-win.

A non-funded student, the university (professors) must find funded projects from them to work on.

When you try and find funded projects, you understand why bringing funding makes for a very good student.
May I inquire as to where exactly you received your Ph.D. from? HH

Old 09-06-2013, 20:28   #170
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
May I inquire as to where exactly you received your Ph.D. from? HH
You could. You could also inquire about where I work and what my home address is.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 09-06-2013, 20:40   #171
hpracing007

Quote:
Go bring a self-funded project to a university and you will find out.
We talking American university or euro/china or somewhere?
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 20:40   #172
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
You could. You could also inquire about where I work and what my home address is.
Your height, weight and hair color do not concern me. Your experience in a Ph.D. program does. HH

Old 09-06-2013, 20:45   #173
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
We talking American university or euro/china or somewhere?
You can buy whatever degree you want at American University.
Old 09-06-2013, 21:10   #174
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
You can buy whatever degree you want at American University.
I see what you did there. HH

Old 09-06-2013, 23:51   #175
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Negative.

You made claims. I factually disproved those claims. You dismiss it as quibbling.

Your friend does not have a PhD from Harvard Medical School. (you flat out said he does)

You say he never dropped out of Medical School but was accepted to an MD/PhD program and decided to do the PhD part. It doest work that way. You do two years of Medical School first. So, he must have made the choice to only do the PhD before he ever started Medical School....but you say he wanted to be a Doctor before he began his studies.

And this friend, said this

So this friend of yours claims that the Doctors at Harvard, (among the smartest professions at arguably the most prestigious school in the world) are "not that intelligent"....which is, from a quantifiable level, a factually false statement. As a matter of fact, we are talking about a group of of people who are comparatively among the smartest people on the planet. As I said, there is no detail about your friend that can change the fact about the intelligence level of doctors/med student at Harvard.

Your friends statement is like a guy saying "i want to be a golfer" then playing half a hole of golf with Tiger Woods and then claiming "he isnt that good, he is just very well practiced, this isnt that hard at all" and then quit golf forever to become a golf course manager. To pick on the best...when you didnt become one, doesnt prove the point you think it does.

Listen, you are among one of my favorite posters here but you are just flat out wrong, factually wrong about a lot of things here and your story doesnt add up as you tell it. That is not quibbling.
I resent your allegations, Rabbi. If I had integrity issues I would not have accomplished a 25 year career as an Army officer with two below the zone promotions.

While I'm not sure why you are concerned with my friend's academic credential when what is central to this conversation are his words, what I can do is provide context for my association with him while attempting to protect everyone's privacy.

What I have stated here is what's on his curriculum vitae.

I met him while my daughter was at Harvard Business School. Parental visits and the auditing of classes are encouraged there.

Due to my daughters healthcare expertise (she was sponsored at Harvard and is currently the COO of a $40B healthcare company), she was assigned a special project for Reggie Herzlinger. My friend to be was an associate of Ms. Herzlinger (and Ray Kursweil and his son Ethan for that matter). On one of my visits, my daughter found time on her calendar to invite me to lunch with him thinking that it would make for an interesting meal. She was right and we became friends.

This document is as far as I am willing to go for the sake of verification.

The Okie Corral

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote