Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:26   #1
ratf51

Non-essentials?

Alright, the S&P crowd is basically uber-practical but do any of you stock up on what would be considered "non-essentials"? You know, things that you want to have around just because you find pleasure in them. As for me, I play the guitar, so I am thinking of buying extra guitar strings. What say you all?
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32   #2
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I consider "non-essentials" as luxury items,chocolate and things of those nature.We do stock luxury items,they are good for the overall mental welfare of anyone in a high stress situation.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:55   #3
racerford

Once you have the essential adequately covered, it is reasonable to stock up on non-essentials.

What would those be? Anything that you can afford, have space for, and would like to be able have without leaving the house. Fasteners (nails, screws, bolts, nuts, washers) wood, tarps, plastic sheeting, duct tape, actual metal duct tape, super glue, silicone. Nobody wants to go to the store after a storm or a break in. Other stuff, like guitar strings that you would not like to go without if there was a longer range problem where you could get out, or stores were closed, or you were unemployed are a good idea as well.

Guitar strings would not be on my list (no one plays at my house) but things like pencils, notebooks, coloring pencils, books (I have 2nd and 4th graders) are in my house. I also stock things that we normally use when they go on sale, or just buy them in bulk at the best price.

Don't just think end of the world, or major disaster. Think saving money! You could buy more guns with the money you save!
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:45   #4
ratf51

Yes, non-essentials/luxuries are gonna be different for everybody. It did dawn on me, however, that a guitar string could be used to construct a makeshift snare. I need to improve my stock of snare wire. That'll work!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:23   #5
Aceman

I play guitar. I have applied the Philosophy that "Two is One, One is None" to the guitars.

I have 8 Electrics and 3 acoustics. You need more than just strings (but I have a bunch of those too)!

I seriously think a healthy stock of Books, Games, DVD's and Music, along with the ability to power the iPod etc is very important. Boredom is a major stressor, and being out IMO is the worst place to be. CHill gear is critical.

And I have a healthy repertoire of solo acoustic songs too....

Last edited by Aceman; 08-31-2013 at 11:24..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 17:41   #6
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Selco has a good article about this at SHTF School.

Walking the line between human and animal
Old 09-07-2013, 13:18   #7
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
Yes, non-essentials/luxuries are gonna be different for everybody. It did dawn on me, however, that a guitar string could be used to construct a makeshift snare. I need to improve my stock of snare wire. That'll work!
CAn make Garrotes out of them as well...
Old 09-07-2013, 14:22   #8
fyrediver

The non-essential items are very important. My girlfriend LOVES really hot food so jars of jalapenos, habaneros, salsa, spices, etc are all in my preps. My dog and cat love treats so they're in there as well. I've even got a couple spare catnip toys and dog toys.

I rotate things into and out of the "preps" regularly. Last week our neighbor's dog came over and the latest dog toy was put to rest after a vigorous game of tug o' war. After they left I pulled out a "spare" dog toy and Abby was happy to play with the new one.

Same with salsa or the quick chocolate craving. If the GF forgets to put it on the shopping list I've usually got us covered for things that we consume regularly.

Can we survive without them? Of course, but would you if you have a choice? One can survive on beans, rice, & water but why would you want to? Preps shouldn't just be about "end of the world" they should help with your day to day life as well. Lose your job? Have a couple months of food stored up? You've just bought yourself some leeway as you find another job. Don't have time to go to the store for shaving cream? Just step over to the "preps" and it's in the pantry. Expand on what you REALLY use and you're preparing for life as you know it as well as disasters!
fyrediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:29   #9
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
CAn make Garrotes out of them as well...
Improvisation is good!
Old 09-07-2013, 18:00   #10
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Alright, the S&P crowd is basically uber-practical but do any of you stock up on what would be considered "non-essentials"? You know, things that you want to have around just because you find pleasure in them. As for me, I play the guitar, so I am thinking of buying extra guitar strings. What say you all?
Maslow's hierarchy. "Non-essentials" will simply be cannibalized for use as essentials.

Last edited by John Rambo; 09-07-2013 at 18:01..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:56   #11
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Maslow's hierarchy. "Non-essentials" will simply be cannibalized for use as essentials.
Interesting implications for non-essential personnel...
Old 09-08-2013, 03:10   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Fertilizer/fodder.'08.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:05   #13
Stupid

Is there really a point that you have enough essentials?
Stupid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:28   #14
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
Is there really a point that you have enough essentials?
Sure. No doubt about it. For everyone, what constitutes ready, or enough, is a a different answer. But once you have reached what ever goal you have set for essentials, no matter how long it takes, then you start "filling out", which is all the other stuff.

For instance, on the food side, for the wife and I, 2.2 million calories is a years supply of calories. After we reached around 6 million calories in staples and basics, we continue to put back, but mostly comfort foods and things to round out recipes and meals. The odd sale on something we like or want adds to the total every now and then. Last I ran my analyzer, we were over 10million calories.

In the weapons world, we have lots of non-essentials, because we both enjoy them, and we have bought a couple every year.. after 30 years together.. well you get a pretty decent pile..

etc etc
Old 09-08-2013, 21:22   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
IMHO, assuming you don't have any unsecured debt, I would suggest getting a second guitar and some extra strings and picks.

For me, yes, I have lots of non-essentials. I like guns and knives. I don't just have them for SHTF, I now have a collection. I like bicycles, I have two, I will get a couple more. I don't think a bent and a folder will be much use in a SHTF, but.... I am also a foodie. I have non-essential food.
Old 09-08-2013, 23:45   #16
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

We just bought 25lbs of cocoa.'08.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:36   #17
Booker

Quote:
I think that your guitar might get you a meal! Stock those strings!!!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote