Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 17:20   #21
fortyofforty
Capt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubudd View Post
That's exactly what i've been thinking. It's the worst of both worlds. The worst possible system.
No, at least we still have independent doctors, hospitals, nurses, and insurance companies. When we end up with no health insurance companies, government doctors, government nurses, and government hospitals it will be much, much worse.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 17:30   #22
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
There will certainly be a push for single payer. However, it took a democrat president, house, and senate to get Obamacare to squeak by, and the resistance is far stronger now. Also, there is the little fact that government simply can't afford a single payer system, at this point -- there is going to be a major financial crisis about the time Obamacare starts imploding. Interest rates and the debt pile are going to force government to make serious priority choices if they want to survive.
That's a very logical, reasoned theory. Unfortunately, history overwhelmingly says otherwise.
Old 10-24-2013, 17:31   #23
GAFinch

Seen on the interwebs:

"Last week the people who wanted to delay Obamacare were called legislative arsonists and terrorists who were holding the country hostage. This week they’re called Democrats."
Old 10-24-2013, 17:41   #24
Atlas
transmogrifier

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/10/g...ire-insurance/

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 18:46   #25
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...t_a_tax_refund

They can't enforce the penalty against you if you don't have a tax refund for them to take it out of ....

.... Soooo ....

Arrange your tax affairs so there is no refund ... and the commies can go whistle ... ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 18:49   #26
Spymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Quote:
The insurance company has a sales offer: We insure you AFTER your home catches on fire! Its a great offer . . . to people whose homes are on fire. Its a bad deal for people whose homes have not caught on fire, and who will pay higher premiums to cover payouts to all those who sign up immediately after they call the fire department.
Unfortunately this is precisely the kind of lunacy that the typical "democratic party low info voting class" believes in....nobody should be made to lose their homes to fire, its just inhuman of the republicans to oppose mandatory fire insurance...
Spymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 19:04   #27
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by spymaster View Post
unfortunately this is precisely the kind of lunacy that the typical "democratic party low info voting class" believes in....nobody should be made to lose their homes to fire, its just inhuman of the republicans to oppose mandatory fire insurance...
tanstaafl

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35   #28
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
No, the private insurance industry is "too big to fail". There's no way that that many captains of industry with that much money will allow the gov to cut them out. Obamacare passed because it promised to force more business to the private insurers, not less. If it doesn't work out that way, it's toast. The insurers will probably even be compensated for their losses.
Interesting. The crony capitalism angle for nefarious government.

Remember the public option discussion?

I still think the main goal is single payer/full government control. I get what you're saying on the industry end but I don't see a way out of it.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44   #29
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
There will certainly be a push for single payer. However, it took a democrat president, house, and senate to get Obamacare to squeak by, and the resistance is far stronger now. Also, there is the little fact that government simply can't afford a single payer system, at this point -- there is going to be a major financial crisis about the time Obamacare starts imploding. Interest rates and the debt pile are going to force government to make serious priority choices if they want to survive.

And one last point -- I find Obamacare to be at least as offensive as single payer to begin with. It was a "worst of all worlds" government frankenstein creation.
When Obamacare passed, I turned to my wife and told her this is the beginning of the end. We can't afford what they want.

As for financial crashes--they still hold the power of the printing press, the power to tax, and the power to regulate. I hope the coming debt crisis causes a change in the way government works (shrinking and moving to its Constitutional bounds) but I suspect they'll inflate the currency, grab more power, nationalize stuff, steal retirement accounts and savings accounts, tax more, and generally fail kicking, screaming, and taking us all down with them. I don't expect a little thing like that to change them from trying to get single payer. And I don't think the gimmees care enough about all of the above to vote against free stuff for them.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist. Maybe I should apply Hanlon's Razor. I dunno.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote