Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31   #1
fyrediver

Involuntary Home Inspections

So I was at a meeting with a large group of social services types and they want to start a new program where firefighters conduct home inspections if they determine there's a child present. Their reasoning was that a Government Service was requested which then opens the door for other "services" to be involved in the home.

Regardless of the reason for the call they expect us to conduct a home "safety" inspection "for the children." Also, then we'd be expected to provide corrective actions, cribs, etc and to report our findings.

"They" believe that the only way to reduce childhood fatalities is for government services to be more involved.
fyrediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42   #2
Halligan

Fire/Ems are called for a service. The moment you go out of what you are summoned for I would be weary. On the civil side you need to look at what "training" you have to "inspect". You will probably be operating out side of your scope. It would be very easy to violate someones 4th amendment with this idea. You will also open yourself up to civil liability.

Stick to smoke detectors and educate a parent when you find one who actually wants to learn and be better.

I obviously am just some-guy and by no means pretend to know legal things.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 10-01-2013, 12:05   #3
kj4gxu

screw that, it's one thing if you see a blatant dangerous situation. When I'm called in for a fire service related call that's what I'm there for.

There are so many negatives and pitfalls to a plan like that that I'm not even going to get started on it.
kj4gxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 20:16   #4
fyrediver

Rest assured that MY department won't be complying with the social services people looking to intrude upon people's lives. Well outside the scope of our duties. Many, many Constitutional issues involved as well.

However, this glimpse into their mindset should alarm everyone. They're feeling is that if any government service is requested then you're open for other intrusive inspections. A number was put on Medicare children being nearly 50% of births. They felt that since the "Government" was paying for their births that the "Government" has a right to say how the child is raised and how they live.
Old 10-01-2013, 20:28   #5
douggmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
.., A number was put on Medicare children being nearly 50% of births ...
I hate it when those lazy, parasitic, senior citizens squirt out government babies on our dime ...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by douggmc; 10-01-2013 at 20:30..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 22:50   #6
fyrediver

Oops, MedicAid!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:45   #7
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post

However, this glimpse into their mindset should alarm everyone.
Yep. "But what about the children?!" All they are thinking about is what is best for the children. How could anyone possibly be against that?

"We are from the Government, and we are here to help"
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 20:50   #8
Firecop203

I would think that there would be some 4th amendment issues involved.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 20:56   #9
TK-421

Firefighters are there to fight fires, not spend all their time inspecting homes and ****. How do they expect firefighters to have all the time in the world to do both? Besides, it's none of the government's business what goes on behind the walls of the house I live in. They can keep their dirty noses out of my business.
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 19:38   #10
LocknLoadPA

They can kiss my ass. I will check on the cause of the fire, or smoke or CO and then turn the scene back over to the homeowner. Unless I run into something truly hazardous like a meth lab, I'm not going to look for things for these sniveling weasels to poke their noses in.
LocknLoadPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 00:38   #11
TreverSlyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
Yep. "But what about the children?!" All they are thinking about is what is best for the children. How could anyone possibly be against that?

"We are from the Government, and we are here to help"

Why the Government helped 19 Children at WACO, TX get to Heaven quicker.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:40   #12
4Rules

With respect to a situation where you have a reasonable basis for suspicion of (either) child abuse, child neglect, elder abuse, or elder neglect, a mandatory reporting requirement might already exist.

Check your state laws.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:09   #13
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Having taken classes with (future) socal workers friends with their wife socal worker....

I don't care for them. HUGE PITA. I have played "damage control" for friends, neighbors when they get involved.

They will decide whats best for child/adult. NOT what they want, are comfortable with.

We had a foster couple near me that were WONDERFUL. Great, patient, caring folks... Socail workers "decided" that the male grabbing the 7 yr old as he RAN INTO TRAFFIC was abuse. Note he saw kid take off and prevented a disaster.

This kid was a KNOWN self destructive, running into way of cars.... They had a young girl that slammed door to her room. (again, and again many times)
So he took door off hinges, put up beach towel. "You can't do that"
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:22   #14
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Same people. Same claims. Same power grab for "Control".

This has nothing to do with children or social services. This is an excuse for those that feel their lives and their fate are out of their control,to control others,just to make themselves feel better.

If you feel pushed around, you will feel better pushing others around. It's also called "bullying". You do it "because you can", for no other reason. It's about control.

Don't let them do it!

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 14:12   #15
VPD4327

The social service types are usually idealistic idiots who could care less about the constitution and care more about their agency's power and influence. Want to come in and check on smoke? Ok. You want to snoop? You're life will become complicated in more ways than one. I say this based on years of watching (in a professional...non-personally related) how they work. Yes, they are necessary...but very quick to over reach.
VPD4327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 14:49   #16
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I like this plan about as much as I'd like the idea of government trained & certified babysitters being assigned to each family by the state.

It's a certainty that they'd send the worlds most incompetent boobs to your house at best, plus a fair percentage of criminals just looking for families to dig their hooks into & victimize.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote