SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:36   #21
rhino673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I field dress as I don't usually hunt on farms with a "skinning shed".

Typically I cut from tail to botton of the sternum. I carry a small hunters axe and CAREFULLY split the pelvis to free the digestive tract. I quickly cut the diaphragm free from the inside of the rib cage. I also make a small verticle cut below the jaw and reach in and sever the wind pipe and esophagus. I pull the esophagus out at the jaw make a small cut in it and put a knot in it. This keeps the contents of the stomach from coming out when you pull the organs out. I learned how to do it this way in Europe and its very simple and clean. Usually takes me about 10 minutes tops to field dress a deer. My knife is a small custom drop point with about a 3" blade. My hatchet is a Granfors Bruks mini hatchet and can fit in your pocket (but I carry it in a fanny pack with extra ammo, etc) I also have a Fallkniven NL5 Idun I use from time to time. THAT is a superb hunting knife BTW. Half the time I've shot a meat deer I don't have my fix blade and I've dressed more than a few with a Benchmade Griptillian I usually have in my pocket

I will usually take the tenderloins as they will dry out quickly when I get back to camp but the rest will stay on the carcass until I butcher it. When I butcher it I bone out the entire carcass and the only parts that come off are the front quarters which are only attached with muscle and sinew. The rest gets boned out off the hanging carcass and the entire skeleton is left intact. Boning a deer and prepping/wrapping the meat is about a 2-3 hour job if you include grinding burger and making sausage.
Good post. I do basically the same thing with a few differences .
I always carry zip ties with me to close off the esophagus and intestine .
I have used a bunch of knives in the past but I tend to stick with a shorter bladed knife about 3.5 to 4 inches at most.
My axe is a fiskars x7
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 14:49   #22
Ben B

this never gets old. If I tried it, it would look like I got in a fight with Edward Scissor hands.

Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 21:43   #23
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Lay it on it's back. Skin the wiener back (unless it's a doe, LOL). Split the hide from the crotch to the brisket. You can take everything from the diaphragm back by cutting the liver loose and going from there, or you can slice oput the diaphragm and reach in past the heart and lungs and cut the wind pipe and start pulling. I usually leave the rectum in till I get back to where I an going to hang it, but not always.
The method where you leave the heart, lungs and diaphragm in would be if you are in a hurry. LOL Don't know why you would need to hurry (game warden) but I used to be able to field dress a Blacktail buck in less than 2 minutes. I was timed on a forked horn once at 1 1/2 minutes.
I have gutted over 30 moose now, and I can tell you that is a job. The gut pile will outweigh most deer on the hoof.
Old 10-30-2013, 21:12   #24
Thomasc18
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
this never gets old. If I tried it, it would look like I got in a fight with Edward Scissor hands.

Peach Orchard Deer Processing-David Skinning a deer in under two minutes!! - YouTube
That's nuts! I'd end up cutting myself!

Last edited by Thomasc18; 10-30-2013 at 21:13..
Thomasc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 14:09   #25
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Lay it on it's back. Skin the wiener back (unless it's a doe, LOL). Split the hide from the crotch to the brisket. You can take everything from the diaphragm back by cutting the liver loose and going from there, or you can slice oput the diaphragm and reach in past the heart and lungs and cut the wind pipe and start pulling. I usually leave the rectum in till I get back to where I an going to hang it, but not always.
The method where you leave the heart, lungs and diaphragm in would be if you are in a hurry. LOL Don't know why you would need to hurry (game warden) but I used to be able to field dress a Blacktail buck in less than 2 minutes. I was timed on a forked horn once at 1 1/2 minutes.
I have gutted over 30 moose now, and I can tell you that is a job. The gut pile will outweigh most deer on the hoof.
With or without veggie-oil chain saw?
Old 11-14-2013, 23:43   #26
vtbluegrass

Knife in an old Case 4" kinda general purpose drop point. I have been carrying latex gloves with me in the field for awhile now and it makes clean up quicker after you are done.

Deer on back and remove udder or pecker
Insert knife under tail and use pelvis as a guide to trace out b-hole
Split from pelvis to sternum
Pull back liver and slice both sides of diaphragm
Reach up with one hand and grab find and grab esophagus and cut the loose
Pull in all out and start dragging

I like to hang deer if its cold enough or butcher asap. First time I saw people doing the sitting in a cooler of ice water for days I thought they were insane and still kind of do.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:09   #27
Gills63

Gerber makes a nice two piece set. One is a bone saw the other is a blade with a cut hook. Its the only way to go. Look for the ones with the T handles, prevents a cold or slippery hand from sliding forward onto the blade.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Gills63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18   #28
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

the guy in post 22 is pretty damn good! it takes me about 15 minutes to do that but I always pulled the skin off and cut it differently. I think I will try his method next time, looked a lot easier.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 14:03   #29
Tvov

Here's a good, basic, and slowly done video for beginners (like me!):

Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 14:26   #30
Jeremy_K

Anyone else use the ice in the cooler method after quartering? The way they described it in a Youtube video I watched was that they use kosher salt and ice water and drain the bloody water once per day until it runs clear. I quartered my last deer up and tried a speedy method of this but instead of days, I did it over the course of several hours. I know the salt water draws the blood out pretty good but it also browned the edges of the meat which I don't know if that's good or not. I normally quarter them and hack and grind them up ,then vac seal them. Just wondering the benefits of icing them for a few days.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 19:25   #31
boomchakabowwow

field dress = remove guts

right?

knife, axe/hatchet if i have it. open it up and pull out guts. axe to break open pelvic bone and go up rib cage to make it easier.

butchering is another thread.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 23:08   #32
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
field dress = remove guts

right?

....butchering is another thread.

Yes and no. Field dressing may involve different levels of completeness depending on the circumstance. In warmer weather or longer packouts, field dressing may require skinning, and/or cutting into 4 to 6 or more packable sections, removing the head and lower legs, packing in cloth sacks and hanging in a tree to air cool before packout. This is the field dress stage, not butchering.

In most areas of the west you can't often get to an animal with any vehicle, and game carts are seldom useable because of rocks, logs and narrow trails. That means you backpack it out, or use horses or mules. If you backpack any distance, removing the bones saves weight. That's especially important with elk where the bones can add 40 lbs. to the packout.

In western big game hunting for deer, pronghorn and especially elk, the gutless method is taking hold. It works well to first skin the animal, remove and bag the backstraps and legs, and any other meat from the neck, brisket and ribs. No saw or axe is needed, only a good knife.

Once the hide and legs are off the carcass it is much easier to move around, especially with elk which can weigh 700+ lbs. on the hoof. Then you can remove the guts to access the tenderloins, heart and liver. A big advantage is eliminating contamination of the meat because it isn't exposed to the evicera. It makes sense to remove the majority of the meat before opening the belly.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 18:37   #33
Jay S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K View Post
Anyone else use the ice in the cooler method after quartering? The way they described it in a Youtube video I watched was that they use kosher salt and ice water and drain the bloody water once per day until it runs clear. I quartered my last deer up and tried a speedy method of this but instead of days, I did it over the course of several hours. I know the salt water draws the blood out pretty good but it also browned the edges of the meat which I don't know if that's good or not. I normally quarter them and hack and grind them up ,then vac seal them. Just wondering the benefits of icing them for a few days.
I do this but without the salt. I'll usually leave it in the cooler for 3-4 days and then have it all ground up into jalapeño and cheese sausage. Also garlic and cheese and green onion and cheese. Man I'm getting hungry now!
Jay S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 18:48   #34
Jack Ryan
One more day

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorwilla View Post
And what are your favorite tools?

side note,

It always gives me the weirds when the ticks cluster on the nose after ya skin it...like their island of safety.
Fillet knife and a tomahawk.

If I don't have a tomahawk, I cut saw teeth in the back of my fillet knife. Last choice would be to cut around the butt and pull it through the pelvic bone.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 12-18-2013 at 18:51..
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote