Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2013, 14:01   #1
junglebob

Problem getting wife to shoot Glock 19

Maybe some women here can give me some advice. My wife took a NRA basic pistol class with me a few months ago with the idea of using the training to get an Illinois CCW. I took 2 C9 hi-point handguns along to use. She didn't like the recoil from the 9mm handgun so the instructor let her use a .22 caliber handgun. The grips on mine are fairly large and I borrowed a Glock 19 from a friend to try. She liked the grip on it better. I took her to the range and she fired 2 rounds from it and that was all she wanted to do.

I'd like to have her take the additional 8 hours required to get an Illinois CCW. I don't really want her to have a .22 caliber handgun for defensive carry.

Any suggestions? She's not terribly motivated, doesn't really like to do shooting. She did say she'd like a handgun like the .22 she'd used. I'd like to have a Glock 19 for carry myself so I may get one and see if I can get her used to it.
Old 10-27-2013, 17:01   #2
GlockFan7

My wife loves to shoot my Glock 17. I started her out on an old .22 revolver that I have. Then moved her up to the 17. She'll shoot my 19, but likes the 17 better and one shot with my 23 was enough to let her know that she didn't want to do it again. Take her gun shopping and LET HER CHOOSE. See if there is a local range that rents what she picked. Even if they don't, take her in to see what they have. Again, LET HER CHOOSE. Leaving the decision up to her is empowering and a confidence builder. Even if it comes down to it, let her get a .22, maybe even a .22 magnum or a .380 for that matter. While they may not be what many here think of as self defense rounds, they are better than nothing and are capable of delivering lethal force if the shot is well placed. If nothing else, it may slow someone down long enough for her to get in the car and lock the door. One year ago, my wife had never held a gun in her hand. Now she has her CCW and her own gun. She's shot everything I own, revolvers, pistols and rifles, just not my 12 ga. shotgun and she wants a full size 1911 for her birthday. Just LET HER CHOOSE.

Last edited by GlockFan7; 10-27-2013 at 17:04..
GlockFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 18:39   #3
4Rules

It should go without saying that she'll have to make up her own mind, and in her own time, but the solution probably lies in more quality training.

4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 19:06   #4
wlkjr

My wife absolutely loves the G19 but also did not like the G23. I think it maybe because she'd had surgery on her wrist and elbow and it wasn't healed yet. Two weeks ago she shot my G20SF with Lone Wolf and compensator and she liked it. Actually shot it well. It has sandpaper Talon grips on it and she said she didn't like them. She'd always complained about the grip slipping in her hand on the 19 so I talked her into shooting the 10mm just once. Turned out she shot it 10 times. It is just a little heavy for her though. She also didn't care for the Ruger LCP or Beretta Nano, but she want to shoot the G19 every week. She has to develop a liking for shooting first.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 19:15   #5
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglebob View Post
Maybe some women here can give me some advice. My wife took a NRA basic pistol class with me a few months ago with the idea of using the training to get an Illinois CCW. I took 2 C9 hi-point handguns along to use. She didn't like the recoil from the 9mm handgun so the instructor let her use a .22 caliber handgun. The grips on mine are fairly large and I borrowed a Glock 19 from a friend to try. She liked the grip on it better. I took her to the range and she fired 2 rounds from it and that was all she wanted to do.

I'd like to have her take the additional 8 hours required to get an Illinois CCW. I don't really want her to have a .22 caliber handgun for defensive carry.

Any suggestions? She's not terribly motivated, doesn't really like to do shooting. She did say she'd like a handgun like the .22 she'd used. I'd like to have a Glock 19 for carry myself so I may get one and see if I can get her used to it.
Get her what she wants and/or leave her alone about it.
How would you like her telling YOU what you will carry?
Sometimes, even at home, you just need to MYOB.

If you want a G19, get rid of those two Hipoints and just get you one. Quit pretending it's for the wife.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 10-27-2013 at 19:16..
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 19:25   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

Getting her what she wants makes sense, but if she buys before trying she may not like the recoil of whatever that is either.

If she isn't very interested, then there is little chance she'll actually go through the hassle of carrying.

Probably best to let her pick out whatever 22 she wants now and then slowly over time get her interested in shooting, and eventually carrying.

If you can find some woman instructor, or some women friend shooters, that may help her.

Old 10-27-2013, 19:27   #7
wlkjr

Seek out a chapter of The Well Armed Woman.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54   #8
AZ Husker

Both my daughters and my girlfriend have chosen the G19 as their carry weapon (as hard as I tried to sell them on the 1911) for the simplicity and capacity. All are licensed and carry daily. If your's has a problem with recoil it is probably a training issue. The 9mm is a gentle round, even for my 52 year old girlfriend with minor arthritis. If your woman is not willing to give it a fair shot tell her just to become a victim.

Also have her check out www.corneredcat.com

Last edited by AZ Husker; 10-28-2013 at 01:58..
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 16:40   #9
GlockFan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
It should go without saying that she'll have to make up her own mind, and in her own time, but the solution probably lies in more quality training.

Prepare to CHL by Bluejay9mm - YouTube
Great video and a lot of useful information. Looks like she hasn't been active for quite some time. I'd like to see her do more videos.
Old 10-29-2013, 15:41   #10
BMyers

My wife started out with a Ruger SR-22. As she developed her skill and became more comfortable with guns, she tried out my Glock 26. She liked it, but it was little small on the grip, she wanted a full size grip. So she went and bought her a Glock 19. She shoots it and does really well.

Your wife needs to take time and get comfortable. She can qualify with a 22 for her Illinois permit, but carry whatever she would like, Illinois permits are not gun specific.
BMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 17:56   #11
Hunters21w

Let her try the .22, then move up to .380 when she's ready. I can't imagine she won't like like a solid .380 such as a Sig P238. She will be the one shooting/carrying so leave it up to her. Have her rent and shoot what feels comfortable for her.

Good luck!
Hunters21w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 18:10   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Three of the women in my family tried the Bersa Thunder and decided they each liked it over what they were carrying at the time. .380 is better than a .22, and may lead her into a 9mm as she shoots more, and becomes more comfortable with the caliber.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 18:15   #13
brownsbacker

trying to get wife to carry G19

Have her try the Ruger LC380, easy to rack and light recoil. Carries 7+1

Last edited by brownsbacker; 10-29-2013 at 18:16.. Reason: added more info
brownsbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 22:29   #14
AZ Husker

Many of those small .380's are brutal on the hands. My daughter tried out a Ruger and after two shots went right back to her Glock 19 with far superior performance.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10   #15
brownsbacker

That's where the LC 380 is different, its the same size as a LC9, so the recoil is very tame. Now if your talking about the LCP 380 then your talking about another animal.
brownsbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54   #16
AZ Husker

It was an LCP 380, sorry. It was brutal on my experienced hands!
Old 10-30-2013, 18:37   #17
fg17

Quote:
Not trying to be an ass. But some people are not into shooting or cc. If she is not willing to practice, she may be better off with a high quality pepper spray. As a lifelong martial artist I run into this all the time. Some people want to take a week long seminar and never train again, it just does not work like that. At least with a non lethal weapon mistakes made due to lack of training are not permanent. Good luck.
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 18:42   #18
Glockgirlmich

I am 52 and I have pretty bad rheumatoid arthritis. I carry a Glock 19 and absolutely love it. There is a lot of great advice given but, basically, it is a choice she is going to have to make. Just encourage her a lot. She will make good choices. Trust her.
Glockgirlmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53   #19
Lassen Forge

Couple really important things... from this girl's perspective...

One, if your wife is carrying something she hated due to recoil or whatever, or worse, is afraid to shoot because of recoil issues, she won't use it (or flinch and miss) when it's game or game over time. And then the bad guy takes it from her and game over.

Two - nothing wrong with a 22, but she will have to develop an instinctive aimpoint shooting technique to hit that medulla oblangata 99% of the time... that's practice, practice, and more practice. But I'd rather have her armed with a 22 than not at all...

Saying all that - the gen4 glock recoil system really *is* a game changer... I shoot a G30 ( ) and it takes what was a pretty iffy round in my 1911 to something I can shoot all day.
Lassen Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29   #20
Clusterfrack

Ammo can make a big difference in perceived recoil. Often it's the noise that makes newer shooters gunshy. I recommend subsonic SD and practice ammo. Try some 147gr 9mm rounds in that G19.
Old 11-03-2013, 23:01   #21
JuneyBooney

Quote:

I have found women to be easier to instruct than men. Once men get those bad habits it is hard to get them to stop. I would not yell at her or be harsh and ask her what she likes to shoot. I found with my gf about six years ago that I was unknowingly harsh with her and would sometimes yell so when she cried a bit I became a better instructor because I stay totally calm I teach that pistol course as well as others so I understand her dilemma as a new shooter. She may anticipate the recoil and she hates it. But the 19 has no recoil in my opinion. Go to a range and rent some guns and go easy with her because you won't want to turn her off to guna and protecting herself. Lots of men and women get permits and never carry a gun at all because of work etc. A .22 is better than a rock but I am sure you can get her up to something better..but can she pull the slide back with no problem on the 19? What are her dislikes in a firearm and don't let her be intimidated? Would a small revolver be better suited for her at this point in time? Would she be better off with a female instructor? Talk softly with her and be supportive. Good luck.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:56   #22
F106 Fan

Maybe you can find a range where they rent guns. An all-metal gun in 9mm will feel a lot different than a polymer gun.

A nice Sig P239 comes to mind. It is compact but still a metal gun.

Richard
Old 11-08-2013, 15:16   #23
Nytmayr

Just a few comments...

First of all, the NRA Basic Pistol class.
In the club where I am one of the Instructors, we provide all the guns for this class. If I understand things correctly, it is because that some people have no firearms experience, and others because they have no handgun. It is also so that beginners can learn the fundamentals using a gun that has no recoil so they will hopefully not acquire any new bad habits. Most importantly, however, it is so that we know the quality of the guns used.
We use ONLY .22lr handguns.
Students can bring their own handguns if they wish, but they are shot only at the end of the class.

As far as the small handguns go, TRY THEM FIRST.
During the NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home class we had this year, two of the guns that our students brought were a S&W Shield (I think) and a Ruger LCP chambered for 380ACP. The problem with the S&W was that it had such a long, heavy trigger pull that she had a hard time getting it to operate consistantly. The Ruger had two problems:
#1 the slide wouldn't lock open on an empty magazine, and the slide release is so small that it was hard to lock the slide open. (This includes every Instructor who tried it)
#2 Toward the end of the class it started having problems ejecting the spent casing. I took a few shots myself and had the same problem, so it was a gun problem, not a shooter problem. She was about 65 or so and when she was given a Glock 21 she tore up the target.

I would suggest that anyone who is looking to buy a gun do two things:
Take the Basic Pistol class. You learn the fundamentals and may have the chance to fire a handgun that they may not have had a chance to otherwise.
Find a gun range and rent some. Try what you think what you might like. Try some non-traditional combinations. I personally do not like 9mm. I have tried a Beretta clone, a Browning HiPower, a Glock and a Ruger P series and just don't like them. However, I tried the Wilson Combat Compact CQB in 9mm that I bought for my father, and was surprised that I like it.

Just remember: Smaller guns are easier to conceal, but are not as easy to shoot well as full sized guns. It is a balancing act, and each person must find what works best for themselves.
Nytmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:19   #24
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

If you order pizza with everything on it, your first time, you may not end up liking pizza.

Get her a full size gun, in .22LR. Ruger sells several of these in different models.

Once she feels like she wants more, you can then try her on larger calibers, and smaller frames.

You don't hand your 4 year old a 30 speed English racer and enter her in the tour d France.
ShallNotBeInfringed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:16   #25
GlockFan7

Baby steps. Update: A year ago, my wife had never shot a gun of any kind. Not even a BB gun. After numerous trips to the range, followed by a trip to Starbucks to discuss how we did, my wife has finally stepped up to my 12ga. shotgun. Only one shot, but she did it and it was her decision. She even shot my G23, something she didn't think she'd ever do again. How many of you guys can say your shooting buddy smells nice and is a good kisser?