Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:40   #41
ARP

One thing I thought about today

In the aftermath of the film, I have to keep reminding myself that anyone under the age of 25? 30? Has no experience with what it is like to be without a device(s) and appears to be completely lost without one. Many of us here grew up in the age of rotary dial telephone, one in the house in the kitchen and that was it. For us old timers it is almost a seamless transition back and forth from power/no power. No lights? Light a lamp. No AC? Go to the basement if it is that hot. Cold? Put a hat and socks on. Build a fire, fire up your alt fuel heater or break out the blankets. Etc.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13   #42
Syclone0538

I didn't think it was on until tonight.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:44   #43
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
That may be true, but who doesn't have BUIS on their rifles with their optics??????
In the mall ninja community? You might be surprised.

Even better question: Who practices with them regularly, or at all anymore?

(besides me, you, LG1, etc...)
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47   #44
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric0123 View Post

I think in that the way it was presented, the flow of the escalation of the disaster and people's response was HIGHLY accurate. The slow breakdown of gas, then food then water. People trapped. People getting desperate, etc..
I agree with this completely. I don't think that S will really HTF until ~60% of the clueless REALIZE it has HTF.

Then AHBL...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51   #45
Slackinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
In the aftermath of the film, I have to keep reminding myself that anyone under the age of 25? 30? Has no experience with what it is like to be without a device(s) and appears to be completely lost without one.
Keep reminding yourself there are exceptions.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27   #46
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

Finally got my girlfriend scared enough to think about prepping. Then I explained to her how we have enough water to last 10 days and won't starve in that time frame. SUCK, yes it would. Survivable, yes it can be.

By the time I come out of my house, the federal government will be here to feed the zombies or half of them will be dead already. And if I have to, I'll come up with a plan for the long haul.

Last edited by HalfHazzard; 10-29-2013 at 10:28..
HalfHazzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 13:31   #47
Carry16

Rotary - what the heck was that. When I was a kid our party line number was 488J and we answered if the phone range twice. Had an operator, no dial. If the house was getting cold it was time to put more coal in the furnace. Stood in front of the open oven door many mornings getting dressed for school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Many of us here grew up in the age of rotary dial telephone, one in the house in the kitchen and that was it.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 15:15   #48
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
That may be true, but who doesn't have BUIS on their rifles with their optics??????
Maybe in the 15 years since the event.. their buis have become damaged? loose and lost? the rifles at this point are all mixmasters from other damaged weapons and they took what they could get?
Old 10-29-2013, 17:00   #49
FireForged
Millenium #3936

It was pretty ok for Hollywood and the only real issue I had was that although they tried to portray the prepper-dad as squared away, the had him acting like a total goofball who was clueless. I think they should have at least had him behave like the squared away guy he was supposed to be.

Our entire little city was without power for 10days back in 2011 and I can tell you that people act like complete idiots. There was looting, people were shot, gov imposed curfew was enacted, no food available, no fuel.... I stayed at home and never left my neighborhood. I learned to have:

more batteries
more fuel
better ability to receive news and updates
more wood

Last edited by FireForged; 10-29-2013 at 17:00..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 17:46   #50
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
...had him acting like a total goofball who was clueless. I think they should have at least had him behave like the squared away guy he was supposed to be...
It's been a long time since I can remember seeing any TV-series dad portrayed as squared-away. Certainly not any (or at least not many) in the last couple decades.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by quake; 10-29-2013 at 17:46..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 18:17   #51
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
It's been a long time since I can remember seeing any TV-series dad portrayed as squared-away. Certainly not any (or at least not many) in the last couple decades.
After Armageddon did the same thing - weenie loser dad.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 19:09   #52
jdavionic
NRA Member

Well, that was a pretty worthless show.

Old 10-29-2013, 19:30   #53
Lone Kimono

The more I think about that show the more it reinforces how important it is to have people around you who won't lose their head. Some of that can be fixed with training, but sometimes people just aren't equipped to hold it together.

You can't do much for the latter, but you can adjust and deal with it if you know ahead of time.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 21:36   #54
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
The more I think about that show the more it reinforces how important it is to have people around you who won't lose their head. Some of that can be fixed with training, but sometimes people just aren't equipped to hold it together.

You can't do much for the latter, but you can adjust and deal with it if you know ahead of time.
Those who are prepared should not fear. There's something nice about being prepared that could help you "hold it together".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 00:50   #55
Revvv

I think the urban scenes were likely realistic to some degree. People will panic, and panicked people will do things they themselves never imagined.

People in rural areas would do just fine for a two week period of time without power. Rural GA in the winter goes powerless if a single snowflake flutters through the air. We don't worry about a thing. We build a fire, break out the grill, and go on about life.

The prepper that was portrayed here is like most preppers in my opinion. The man had plenty of food, plenty of water, had power, shelter, etc. His biggest problem was in perimeter security. Don't get me wrong, securing a perimeter takes effort, but it can be done. I do know that a simple electric fence isn't going to keep anyone out though. The unfortunate truth is that perimeter security requires force as a deterrent. It could be bear traps, booby traps, mines, etc, but to truly deter an invader you have to show that you are willing to do whatever is necessary to remove a threat.

The prepper also failed when approaching the looters on his property. He was not expecting to be ambushed. In a panic situation guerilla warfare is expected. If this had been a real scenario the dad would have likely had his throat slashed and weapons taken.

The show in general was full of flaws, but it did have some form of awareness to it that needs to be addressed. People need to be ready to a certain extent if things crash around them. There are millions of people in this Country that think the government will hold their hand in a crisis. This is not true. Hurricane Sandy and Katrina both are evidence on a small scale that people need to be prepared to survive and protect themselves.

There are a lot of armchair quarterbacks on this forum that feel they are set and safe because they have a pistol or two, a shotgun, and a rifle. Those few small arms are great, but how well would you fare physically if you had to actually fight with those weapons? How well do you perform under stress?

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 00:54   #56
Tom Kanik

If it got some of the sheeple thinking about preps then it was worth it.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48   #57
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Agreed.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22   #58
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

The oddest thing is how quickly people will get crazy for water. If you drink bad water you get sick, you can't get potable water so you go a little crazy and drink just about anything or steal just about anything.

I am really glad that I am prepared.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 17:10   #59
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
The oddest thing is how quickly people will get crazy for water. If you drink bad water you get sick, you can't get potable water so you go a little crazy and drink just about anything or steal just about anything.

I am really glad that I am prepared.
Having been in a situation where I had no water and was stuck in the middle of the everglades, I can tell...people will drink whatever water they can find - good, suspect, or bad.

Old 10-30-2013, 17:13   #60
jdavionic
NRA Member

I don't know enough about our nation's electrical grid system to assess the probability of a strike on the entire nation. Seems possible.