Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43   #1
bmoore

Anyone use rifle sites on their gun?

I have an 870 coming and I was on the fence about the 18 inch barrel with just the bead or rifle sites. I have always really liked the idea of being able to line up a little more precise shot with rifle sites. I ordered the barrel with the tritium night sites, has anyone used these? I have shot a lot trap with bead sites so I feel comfortable with the bead, I have also shot quite a bit of iron site rifles in the past. Has anyone found a downside to Remington's rifle sites? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:36   #2
Baba Louie

I do have rifle sights on my 870 (20 ga.) but they're not needed for things that fly. (IMO)

I've used them with slugs but don't need to hunt deer or bear with it (altho I could and that's why I got them on the shorter barrel).

Night sights? Maybe for home defense? Never thought about that actually since a white light is a better choice for me... unless you plan on hunting after dark?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35   #3
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Louie View Post
I do have rifle sights on my 870 (20 ga.) but they're not needed for things that fly. (IMO)

I've used them with slugs but don't need to hunt deer or bear with it (altho I could and that's why I got them on the shorter barrel).

Night sights? Maybe for home defense? Never thought about that actually since a white light is a better choice for me... unless you plan on hunting after dark?
Thanks for the response. It will be primarily for home defense, I may use it for coyote calling which is done in low light sometimes. It will not be used for trap, dove or duck hunting. I would throw the 26" barrel it came with back on it for wing shooting. The night sites were only 6 dollars more than standard rifle sites that's why I popped for them. It will have a TLR-1 on it while its in the house.
Old 10-30-2013, 18:17   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I've used ghost rings in the past, I prefer them to rifle sights since I've spent 20+ years using aperature sights on rifles.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 21:48   #5
bmoore

Thanks guys, I will run them and see how I like them.
Old 10-30-2013, 22:24   #6
Berto
woo woo

I use them on my 20" 870, allows me lever gun accuracy at 100 yards with brennekes.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:26   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I have the Remington factory rifle sights on my issued 870P. I am not a fan and really prefer the bead sight for a shotgun. If I had to go sights on a shotgun I guess ghost ring would be the way to go.

The Remington sights have a very short sight radius, no contrast, and its difficult to pick up the sight picture quickly. At 50 yards I see no accuracy benefit to the bead sighted shotguns with slugs. They are not needed with buckshot, which is the primary purpose of a shotgun IMO. At 100 yards I can score hits on a B27 with slugs, but they are painfully slow to line up.

The tritium sights you ordered will atleast have some contrast so they may be considerably better. Still will have a small notch and short sight radius. Only one way to know, and thats to get out and use them. I hope they work for you.

Last edited by collim1; 10-31-2013 at 04:28..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32   #8
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I have the Remington factory rifle sights on my issued 870P. I am not a fan and really prefer the bead sight for a shotgun. If I had to go sights on a shotgun I guess ghost ring would be the way to go.

The Remington sights have a very short sight radius, no contrast, and its difficult to pick up the sight picture quickly. At 50 yards I see no accuracy benefit to the bead sighted shotguns with slugs. They are not needed with buckshot, which is the primary purpose of a shotgun IMO. At 100 yards I can score hits on a B27 with slugs, but they are painfully slow to line up.

The tritium sights you ordered will atleast have some contrast so they may be considerably better. Still will have a small notch and short sight radius. Only one way to know, and thats to get out and use them. I hope they work for you.
Copy that, thanks for the info.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22   #9
retired guard

I have Remington factory sights on my 1100 I also mount a white light and laser. I feel I've covered more bases than I actually need.
retired guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:49   #10
W Turner

I have them on my 870 and they are perfect for me. I always had a hard time getting my head low enough to effectively use a bead sight and since I swapped to the rifle sighted 20" the gun just seems to fit me better. I use mine for HD and 3 gun and I can't tell any difference in my speed since the swap.

W
Kalashnikov Klub #0511
W Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40   #11
GoBow

I prefer RS on my shotguns. A bead would work just fine; but I'd prefer the RS.
GoBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:46   #12
Aceman

HD gun? No. For HD my preferences are:

#1 Circle dot (Eotech etc...)
#2 Bead
#3 Ghost ring

My hunting gun actually has them and I like the way they are (Mossberg 535)

On a 22" Turkey barrel: red hiviz for dot up front, green green hiviz for the other two at the rear. What is nice about that is i can ignore the green and treat it like a bead, or use them like a rifle sight (again, for Turkey, no surprise)

The 28" barrel has a single red hiviz.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:07   #13
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I have several Rem shotguns with Vang Ghost Ring Sights. Yes, they are spendy, but have a tritium front sight and allow the use of an Eotech or RMR for FAST target acquisition.
I recommend them.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49   #14
Goldstar225
NRA member

I've had the Scattergun Technology (now Wilson) ghost ring on my duty shotgun for a dozen years. I much prefer them over rifle sights. The sole reason I have them is for using slugs at extended range. If were going to use buckshot only or limit slug use to closer ranges I would have stayed with a bead as I find it to be faster up close.
Old 11-09-2013, 23:38   #15
seamaster

I have factory mossberg ghost ring sights on my 500. I like them very much.
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:55   #16
ArmoryDoc

Why, yes actually. They look good but better used for slug than shot. Nothing wrong with a brass bead, for sure.

Tactical Shotguns
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 00:43   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
I have an 870 coming and I was on the fence about the 18 inch barrel with just the bead or rifle sites. I have always really liked the idea of being able to line up a little more precise shot with rifle sites. I ordered the barrel with the tritium night sites, has anyone used these? I have shot a lot trap with bead sites so I feel comfortable with the bead, I have also shot quite a bit of iron site rifles in the past. Has anyone found a downside to Remington's rifle sites? Thanks.
I like rifle sights. I wish I could find a Remington 18" rifle sight improved cylinder barrel, but I don't think they make them. My current Remingtons have 20" rifle sight Rem-choke and 22" rifle sight improved cylinder barrels. I replaced the Remington sights with Williams Fire Sights (fiber optic) on both.

I've shot clay pigeosn with the rifle sights and didn't find it all that hard.

Last edited by Bren; 11-10-2013 at 00:45..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25   #18
bmoore

Really liking the 870 with the night sight rifle sights barrel. Going to try to get out and pattern it soon with 00 buck and #4 buck.
Old 11-10-2013, 19:08   #19
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I like rifle sights. I wish I could find a Remington 18" rifle sight improved cylinder barrel, but I don't think they make them. My current Remingtons have 20" rifle sight Rem-choke and 22" rifle sight improved cylinder barrels. I replaced the Remington sights with Williams Fire Sights (fiber optic) on both.

I've shot clay pigeosn with the rifle sights and didn't find it all that hard.
Cabelas has one with rifle sights, 18.5" and interchangeable choke tubes. $219

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Carls...h-All+Products

Midway has one 18.5" tritium rifle sights and a modified choke for $159:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/921...hts-parkerized
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 11-10-2013 at 19:10..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 20:55   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Cabelas has one with rifle sights, 18.5" and interchangeable choke tubes. $219

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Carls...h-All+Products

Midway has one 18.5" tritium rifle sights and a modified choke for $159:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/921...hts-parkerized
Thanks, the Remington one at Midway loooks perfect. These must be recent. I couldn''t find one a few years ago, other than Mossberg and I like to stick with Remoington for major parts.