Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2013, 20:40   #1
Silent Sir

Looking for the best place to relocate - young retiree.

You know all the lists… Top ten places to retire… Top affordable places to retire young…. Yada yada yada. If you really are looking to relocate and have options as soon as you start exploring places on those lists you find out you already missed the bus and those places are now too expensive, overpopulated or they just do not meet certain important criteria (IE recognizing gun rights, weather or cost of living)

My wife and I have hit a wall for a few years now in our retirement location search and with winter setting in in the Midwest (we hate the cold) – we are once again seriously wishing we would relocate. The problem is that there are just too many options because we do not have many restrictions that limit options with the exception of unlimited finances. We have no debt and decent savings but because we are retired so young we have to keep a budget and stay within a reasonable spending average to make our money last a lifetime.

My wife and I are both retired and in our mid 40’s. We have no children and are not really tied to the Midwest due to any family concerns. Good schools or job opportunities are not a factor where we relocate. We are in good health and enjoy running, biking and aerobics. We presently own a modest house that is paid for which often unconsciously hinders a decision to move because our present cost of living is so low. We are meticulous in budgeting and expenses but also will spend money on things we enjoy.

We would like a small, well-built house in a good neighborhood. Warm weather year round is a must. My wife enjoys fishing. I’m more of a dork who likes reading, guns and movies. Living year round at a cottage by a lake in a warm weather state also intrigues us too. We like dining out occasionally. We live about 45 minutes away from a college town now (Ann Arbor) which is great to drive there occasionally for food and culture. We are looking for a place that is not too congested. A place that is close to the country and city but not really isolated in the wilderness or stuck in a major congested city either – somewhere in between. In other words maybe 45 minutes outside a mid sized city or a half hour drive away from the wilderness.

We would like to be in a Red State that strongly supports the 2nd Amendment and exhibits a culture that we prefer – that of politeness, respect, civility and respect for the law.

Ok… Any suggestions? They would be seriously appreciated at this point.

G19 Gen 4, G26 Gen 4
G23 Gen 4 FDE, S & W 686 (4)
Colt LE6920 Socom

Last edited by Silent Sir; 10-25-2013 at 20:48..
Silent Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 21:17   #2
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Sounds like Floriduh, there are places to fish everywhere and it's warm all year.
You wouldn't be the first ones to retire there.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:41   #3
SCmasterblaster

I am considering TN myself, and I live in VT.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19   #4
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I am considering TN myself, and I live in VT.
I strongly advise visiting whatever part of TN interests you in the middle of the summer. I've lived most of my life in Floriduh and Virginnie, and I was shocked by the unrelenting sticky humidity of Central and Western Tennessee on several summer visits. Maybe I picked bad timing, but maybe not.

My current retirement fantasy list includes elsewhere in VA, or WV, AZ, TX, FL as my first group, with consideration also to NC, TN, PA, NM, NV.
"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 17:26   #5
mossytxn

Texas hill country

/end thread
mossytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:43   #6
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I strongly advise visiting whatever part of TN interests you in the middle of the summer. I've lived most of my life in Floriduh and Virginnie, and I was shocked by the unrelenting sticky humidity of Central and Western Tennessee on several summer visits. Maybe I picked bad timing, but maybe not.

My current retirement fantasy list includes elsewhere in VA, or WV, AZ, TX, FL as my first group, with consideration also to NC, TN, PA, NM, NV.
Thanks. I am not a humidity fan.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01   #7
SlimlineGlock

Cook Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big Dawg #1275
Flight Deck #767
SlimlineGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 13:42   #8
Rick O'Shay

Consider the Columbia, SC, area. Major lakes within 30-60 minutes, very gun friendly, land still relatively cheap, construction costs are moderate. An hour away from Columbia, you can find plenty of modest, and better, houses for sale <$100K.
About 100 miles from the Smokey Mountains, and 100 miles from the ocean.
Southern hospitality still alive and strong. Property taxes not bad, once you get away from the city a few miles.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 15:34   #9
tazbigdog

Arizona - warm state, no snow (most of it), and gun-friendly!

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
tazbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote